Annual 'Epic Bordeaux Tasting' at Mark Taylor's, Atlanta, GA (2004 Vintage)

Yet another year passes, and I’m fortunate enough to still have an invite to Mark Taylor’s Bordeaux tastings. This year’s theme was the sometimes-maligned 2004 vintage, and it was an educational experience. In general, I’ve found that ‘lesser’ wines in that vintage seem to be at their drinking windows now (only one of all 24 wines was probably ‘past’ drinking window) and the better wines are perhaps just barely entering it, and seem to have a long life ahead of them. Several other Berserkers were in attendance, I hope they can share their thoughts as well, like @dcornutt and @Eric_LeVine

Michael McNeil did a freakin’ fantastic job setting up the flights, as each day had First Growths in it, thus finding wines that can keep up with that kind of quality, in a not-great vintage, had to be a challenge, and he nailed it. Very impressive how the flights aligned so beautifully.

Full notes below, but a lot of it is just my running thoughts, written down during the tasting, in order to establish 1) my guesses as to what they are, and 2) rank them, as this is the tradition at the event. There are definitely a few gems in this vintage, and I presume there will be some deals in the marketplace for this vintage. There was a bit more green pepper than I anticipated, but not overwhelmingly so. Several of the flights had 2 Right Bank wines, so I was ‘cheating’ a bit in going through the aromas to try and locate Merlot - I’ve found that it was far more difficult to do so with 20 years of aging - the blends truly integrate into one another, the individual components don’t stick out, so I failed miserably at identifying it.

I also discovered it’s WAY EASIER to do a vertical and guess vintages than it is to guess wines with age on them unless you have a ton of experience drinking them regularly, which I don’t have!

Day 1:

Flight 1: Les Fort de Latour, Brane Cantenac, Malescot St Exupery, Branaire Ducru, Pavie Macquin, Quinault l’Enclos

1 - sharp nose of graphite, leather and cedar, savory, hint of coffee, beautiful blast of dark red cherry on the palate, love the explosiveness of the flavor profile, finish lasts quite some time but has a bit of bitterness quickly forming the fruit - feels integrated, perhaps not one of the more important houses of the flight in terms of quality - the finish ruins what would be a wonderful wine (Malescot? Was right) (my 5th, group’s 2nd)

2 - initial nose points to Merlot, graphite, earth, violet, black cherry, red currant, silky palate gives a not to Merlot once again, roses, slate, bit of char, black fruits, long finish, grippy fine tannins (Pavie Macquin? Was Quinault l’Enclos) (my 2nd, groups 3rd) (is now owned by Cheval Blanc)

3 - pruney nose, dusty, past prime, palate has sweet cherry, cedar, hints of prune and again dusty and a bit astringent (Brane Catenac?) (my 6th, groups 6th) (other side had a fantastic bottle, ours was DOA) was Pavie Macquin which I had initially and changed, dang it

4 - blue fruited, dark floral nose, hints of chocolate, feels like a Saint Julien for some reason on the palate - crisp and bright, strawberry and raspberry fruit profile, fully resolved fine dusty tannins, long finish - (Branaire Ducru? - got it) (my 3rd) (group’s 5th)

5 - initial nose speaks Merlot, plum and blackberry, spicy, floral nose, delicate softness on the palate, blue fruited, floral palate, more acid than tannins so sticking with Merlot, great finish, (Quinault l’Enclos? Was Brane Cantenac) (my 4th, group’s 4th)

6 - nose a bit reticent but has a higher quality than the others on initial sniff, beautiful stream water, olive oil/brett, plum and strawberry, hint of green pepper, beautiful nose, wonderful sweet and tart red fruit on the palate, flint on the finish, complex and interesting (Les Fort de Latour? Was right) (my 1st, group’s 1st)

FLIGHT 2 (Vieux Chateau Certan, Ducru, Cheval Blanc, Mouton, Margaux, Pichon Lalande)

1 - hint of vanilla, perfumed blue fruits, mint/herbal nose, (initially feel like these are higher grade and still not ‘ready’, made for the long term), slightly ‘grapey’ nose, palate is sharp, black currant, blackberry, grippy finish (Ducru? Was Pichon Lalande) (my 6th, group’s 5th)

2 - dark fruit profile, coffee, roses and violets which gives a more seductive yet sophisticated quality but like others not ‘ready’/young, palate has a beautiful blast of dark red and blue fruits, nice weight and silkiness, voluptuous, grippy, great fruit profile that carries strong to the very long and rewarding finish, fantastic (Mouton? Was Margaux) (my 1st group’s 3rd)

3 - bright strawberry and leather, elegant nose, bolder profile on the palate, rich but muscular in character, blue fruit on finish (Margaux? VCC) (my 3rd group’s 2nd)

4 - fresh spring water, cassis, loamy nose, silky texture, nice weight, decent amount of oak, good tannic structure (Pichon ? Was Ducru) (my 5th, group’s 6th)

5 - initial hint of cola was odd, more herbs, touch of cured meats, richer florals - feels like it’s delivering a lot of complexity on the nose but you only get hints of it, typical Bordeaux profiles of graphite and leather and tobacco, unique in this flight, drying tannins with sweet red cherry (VCC? Was Cheval Blanc) (my 2nd group’s 4th)

6 - coffee, similar profile to 2 with darker fruits, rose and violet, seductive, more dark berries on this than 2, hint of curry, more coffee on the palate, this feels less luxurious than 2, lighter and more acidic, dusty tannins (cab franc? Cheval Blanc? Was Mouton) (my 4th group’s 1st)

Day 2: (some variety on the nose, much more structure than 1st flight yesterday)

Flight 1: (Giscours, Gazin, Leoville Barton, Montrose, Pontet Canet, Pavie Decesse)

1 - herbal, smoked meats, vanilla nose, modern styled, graceful and rich, very tannic but fresh fruit carries through (Giscours? (My 5th group’s 2nd)

2 - shy nose, some citrus peel and cinnamon peeks through, light to medium bodied, focused, high acid, drying tannins, good red fruit profile with a bit of cinnamon (Gazin? (My 3rd, group’s 4th

3 - classical qualities (red cherry, leather, cedar, brett) on the nose, forest floor, green pepper on the palate, strawberry, forest floor, harsh finish and sharp tannins (Leoville Barton? Montrose (My 1st , group’s 1st)

4 - dark berries, leather nose, bit of heat, nice weight, though still medium body, dark and red berries, drying fine tannins, long finish (Pontet Canet? (My 4th, groups’ 6th

5 - floral, herbal musky nose, (merlot?) black pepper, sharp graphite, iron, fruit into the tannins, which are bold, strong but elegant, very nice (Montrose? Barton (my 2nd, group’s 5th

6 - unique nose, black tea, chocolate, mint nose, coffee, (so much coffee and chocolate mint, past prime) palate a bit lacking and unintegrated but has some flint, earthiness, dark fruit profile, spicy finish (Pavie Decesse?) (My 6th, group’s 3rd

Flight 2: (Leoville Las Cases, Calon-Segur, Lafite, Latour, Haut-Brion, Palmer)

1 - perfumed, lifted floral nose, green pepper, bit of broth, dark fruits, cherry fruit profile, fruits integrated to the tannins but still sharp and drying, nice weight (LLC? Calon Segur) (My 6th, group’s 6th

2 - (somewhat frustrating how much these develop in the glasses) classic qualities on the nose, sharp focused, floral, bit of everything but not too much of one thing so it is a balanced nose, beautiful red fruits explode on the palate, sharp edged tannins, balanced, light to medium bodied - elegant expression of what Bordeaux should be but not ready (Lafite? Latour) (My 4th, group’s 3rd)

3 - very interesting, has a dessert baked goods nose, blackberries, spring water, lovely nose more expressive, delivering more than others, touch of sweet coffee, silky and nice weight, round tannins, very long finish, elegant and muscular (Haut Brion? LLC (my 1st, group’s 5th)

4 - classical profile with a bit of red cherry and olive oil, elegant and rewarding nose if just a bit shy, menthol, palate has beautiful integrity and class, tannins evolved, red cherry, very small and drying, short finish (Calon Segur? Haut Brion) (My 3rd, group’s 1st)

5 - classical nose profile but darker fruit and bit of coffee, cedar plank, earthy, red and dark berries, graphite, forest floor/dried leaves, cinnamon, very interesting and complex (Palmer? Lafite) (My 5th, group’s 2nd)

6 - violets, significantly floral nose, ‘smells’ silky and like it has a long finish nose, round tannins, long finish (Latour? Palmer) (My 2nd, group’s 4th)

12 Likes

Interesting to taste this way as I read notes I’d expect in the 2nd flight to at least get the region right, the wine is more of a guessing game, but Pauillac, Margaux, St. Em, or Pomerol should be doable, but it’s been years since I really did blind in any form or fashion.

Cool event, lots of wines I’d love to taste and guess wrong on.

1 Like

I’m out here sniffing all these babbling brooks so I can start using beautiful spring water in my bordeaux notes

as you should - you know full well that’s a scent, buddy, think of that waterfall in Highlands - ‘water over rocks’? would that be preferable to you?

Are you suggesting that Todd is just babbling?. I got in trouble for using that phrase once.

Excellent effort!

because it’s you, it was probably grossly misspelled…so I can see why you got in trouble

I am hoping to get a few notes up tomorrow. Surprised by the Cheval Blanc and Mouton especially. The wines are stunning. Those wines would be great in ANY year. Great notes Todd.

2 Likes

I live this vintage for my palate. When tasted young Mouton was the highlight.

3 Likes

Finished an open bottle of 2004 Langoa Barton last night. Pretty classic, delicious wine.

3 Likes

These notes are from Saturday the first day of tasting. I want to thank Mark Taylor for inviting me but give a special shout out to all my friends who help make it a great event. The moderators were Charles Curtis MW, Michael McNeill MS, Mary Margaret McCamic MW and Eric Asimov from the NYT. They provided so much background and helped lead us through this very nice vintage of Bordeaux. 2004. Just a tremendous opportunity.

Flight One- Saturday

Wine One- Reticent nose that expands with time to show fresh reddish fruit. The finish is quite nice. To me the palate is a little simple at this point. The tannins do integrate with air. A refreshing drink that is at the beginning of it’s drinking window to me. My second favorite. Group’s second favorite.

Wine Two- A very sexy nose of red fruit and some element of green pepper. More resolved tannin on the mid palate with a very nice finish. Drinking well. My 4th favorite. Group’s 3rd.

Wine Three- A wine of simplicity that shows red fruit. Some element of what I pick up as stems. Refreshing. My third favorite. The group’s 6th.

Wine Four- Very nice dark fruited nose with elements of earth. The palate is bound by tannin and never seemed to take off. Brooding. My 6th. Group’s 5th.

Wine Five- This is a red fruited simple wine to me. It is quite nice but doesn’t show any depth or length to the finish. My 5th . Group’s 4th.

Wine Six- This is more like it. BEAUTIFUL sexy dark fruit with lead pencil shavings. Very precise. Some element of coffee is still there but quite well incorporated. The mid palate here is special. Beautifully long, precise and to me. Quite Pauillac in presentation. I loved it.

My favorite and the group’s number one.

1. Chateau Malescot St. Exupery
    1. Chateau Quinault L’Enclos
    1. Chateau Pavie Macaquin
    1. Chateau Brainare Ducru
    1. Chateau Brane Cantenac
    1. Les Forts de Latour (second wine of Château Latour)

Flight Two- Saturday

Wine One- This wine opens quite tannic but with air the tannins are softened and the balance becomes quite nice. The nose has dark red fruit, some earthy notes, spice and an elegance. The palate is “awesome” by my notes. Quite elegant dark red fruit but vibrant and quite persistent. I ranked this in the middle of a very strong flight. Group’s 5th wine.

Wine Two- This wine has beautiful red sexy fruit with some spicy cedar type notes . A seamless texture. Absolutely impeccable balance. Very long. Gorgeous red fruit rushes to finish the end. I also ranked this middle of the pack but this flight was very strong. Group’s 3rd wine

Wine Three- Unbelievable nose of red fruit. Delicate in some ways but penetrating. So sexy. Beautiful presentation on the palate. Very deep penetrating brighter red fruit. A profound wine. My second favorite and the group’s 2nd.

Wine Four- Dark fruit with earthy notes and coffee on the nose. A darker fruit profile on the palate that the above wines. Very earthy and penetrating. Long.

Wine Five- Tannic on opening but then balances to show incredible red fruit on the nose and palate. Seamless structure. Elegant. It touches all corners of the mouth and persists like a warm hug. Absolutely incredible and a profound wine. My number one and group’s 4th.

Wine Six- Beautiful classic nose of dark fruit, lead pencil shavings and integrated coffee aromas. Intense. This one expands and changes with air. Unbelievably powerful and profound. My second favorite and the group’s first.

1. Chateau Pichon Lalande
    1. Chateau Margaux
    1. Vieux Chateau Certan
    1. Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou
    1. Chateau Cheval Blanc
    1. Chateau Mouton Rothschild

What a beautiful day of tasting. A fruit day on the biodynamic calendar. The second flight was very special and shows that there are no off wines in “off vintages”. I would put the Mouton and Cheval Blanc up against any vintage of the Century. Thanks Mark.

2 Likes

Day Two- Sunday Flight One

Wine One- A slight oxidative note on opening that blows off. The wine is darker fruit and coffee on the nose. The palate shows dark fruit that is rich, deep and quite persistent. My third favorite. Group’s 2nd.

Wine Two- Brighter red fruit and an element of green pepper. Quite tannic. Never seems to completely integrate but the wine does approach more balance with air. Very young. My 5th favorite and group’s 4th.

Wine Three- Beautiful darker fruit nose. Earthy. Sexy. Some element of coffee. Some tannin but it integrates fully with air. Quite long. Special. My 2nd favorite. Group’s first.

Wine Four- Shy nose. Dominated by tannin. This wine has reddish fruit but it is so bound by tannic structure that a finish is clipped. My 6th. Group’s 6th.

Wine Five- Dark precise fruit. Coffee. The tannin still shortens the finish a little. Quite nice material here. Needs time. My fourth wine. Group’s 5th.

Wine Six- Stunning nose. Sexy red fruit. Some element of coffee. Medium concentrated. Most Burgundy like of this grouping. Persistent. I really liked this. My first. Group’s 3rd.

1. Chateau Giscours
    1. Chateau Gazin
    1. Chateau Montrose
    1. Chateau Pontet Canet
    1. Chateau Leoville Barton
    1. Chateau Pavie Ducesse

Flight Two

Wine One- Amazing darker fruit. Here there is tremendous mid palate concentration. Intense nose and palate. What I felt was first growth potential here. It does get captured with time by the tannin. Lovely wine. My 2nd favorite. The group’s 6th.

Wine Two- Pure dark fruit. Precise. Lead pencil shavings. With air this wine transforms into a beast with a fantastic finish. My fourth favorite. Group’s 5th.

Wine Three- Gorgeous nose. Quite aromatic. Sexy blend of darker precise fruit and earthy notes. Some element of coffee. Top level precision on the palate. Still tannic to some extent. Despite all of this it is my 6th favorite. Group’s 5th.

Wine Four- The nose is a little strange coming out of the gate. This goes way to show a beautiful darker fruited wine. Spicy. A slightly extracted mouthfeel. This one changed a lot in the glass. Very long. My 5th favorite. Group’s number one.

Wine Five- Lovely sexy nose of focused redder fruit. Cedar pencil shavings. Some coffee. Everything is just so harmonious and elegant. Persistent. A top level wine. My 3rd and group’s 2nd.

Wine Six- Absolutely stunning nose and palate. Most Burgundy like. Red fruit. Earthy. Elegant. Persistent. Quite long. Some said over the hill but I disagree totally. My first and groups 4th.

1. Chateau Calon Segur
    1. Chateau Latour
    1. Chateau Leoville Las Cases
    1. Chateau Haut Brion
    1. Chateau Lafite
    1. Chateau Palmer

Man do I love Lafite and Palmer. Wow. What an opportunity again. Thanks Mark. Until we do this again.

4 Likes

Really loved these, much, much easier to enjoy that previous horizontals of 2003 and 2005.

2004 BORDEAUX AT 20 YEARS COURTESY OF MARK TAYLOR - Atlanta, GA (3/23/2024-3/24/2024)

I believe this was my 7th pilgrimage (2012, 2013, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023, 2024) to Atlanta to taste Bordeaux with Mark Taylor and a wonderful assemblage of locals and travelers.

In general, these were lovely wines, very "proper" and in some cases mature and quite drinkable. The more serious wines though are just entering early-prime drinking with bright futures ahead

Day 1, Flight 1

The most approachable of all four flights. They opened fairly lean but filled out very nicely after 20 minutes in the glass.

• 2004 Château Malescot St. Exupéry - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (3/23/2024)
    Deep cassis, wow, picking up some mint, lovely red fruit, very mineral, oh nice, really picking up weight, very savory, just a lovely claret in an early and nice spot. My #2 and the group #2. Guessed incorrectly as Brane-Cantenac.
  • 2004 Château Quinault L'Enclos - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (3/23/2024)
    Mmm, scorchy, toasty, tobacco, seems to scream of Pauillac or St. Estephe, spicy, love the profile, cedar, spice, lead pencil, savory, bright fruit, lots of acid, UTTERLY classic. Love it, some tannins still there. My #1 and the group #3. Guessed incorrectly as Les Forts de Latour.
  • 2004 Château Pavie Macquin - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (3/23/2024)
    Deep, plummy, seemingly Merlot, mint, a hint of VA, darker fruit, cocoa, licorice, fairly round, pleasing, almost seductive, a nice silky finish. My #5 and the group #6. Guessed correctly as Pavie-Macquin.
  • 2004 Château Branaire-Ducru - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (3/23/2024)
    Green, tobacco, chocolate covered cherry, some ripe dried fruit notes emerging, lean, not so giving, vitamin pill, very tannic finish. The least giving wine of the flight. My #6 and the group #5. Guessed incorrectly as the Quinault L'Enclos.
  • 2004 Château Brane-Cantenac - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (3/23/2024)
    Mmm, cherry, red fruit, HORSE, earth, nose is exploding, soaring, chewy, tannic, dark and savory. Oh yeah, this WANTS a steak. Still very young, green (in a good way). I questioned if I should be guessing right bank, but the real question I did not ask is whether I should be guessing Margaux. My #3 and the group #4. Guessed incorrectly as Branaire-Ducru.
  • 2004 Les Forts de Latour - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (3/23/2024)
    Scorchy, also some bretty/earthy stuff going on, cedar, wow very pleasing, round, balanced, very pretty, very complete, really in sync. My #4 and the group #1. Guessed incorrectly as Malescot.

Day 1, Flight 2

Spectacular wines across the board, much more structured on the whole.

• 2004 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (3/23/2024)
    Lifted, mint, crushed berries, red fruit. Such a palate, truffle, raspberry, lovely acidity, round, mouthwatering and then silky/sneaky tannins. Seems like a Right Bank profile to me, focused, precise. My #4 and the group #5. Guess incorrectly as the Vieux Chateau Certan.
  • 2004 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (3/23/2024)
    Wow, just brings a smile, layered, green, spicy, hint of tobacco, gorgeous, horse sweat, absolutely what draws me to Bordeaux, big, tannic, chewy, mineral. My #2 and the group #3. Guessed incorrectly as Ducru-Beaucaillou.
  • 2004 Vieux Château Certan - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (3/23/2024)
    More closed, soy, dusky, really tight, getting floral, Very structured, savory, umami, really pure, mineral. Tannins slam on the finish. My #5 and the group #2. Guessed incorrectly as Margaux.
  • 2004 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (3/23/2024)
    Salt marsh, wow nose, Glorious energy, minerality, pure, tight, really seems Pauillac. My #3 but the group #6. Guessed incorrectly as Pichon Lalande.
  • 2004 Château Cheval Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (3/23/2024)
    Oh my, bigger, riper, hints of dried fruit, really dense, lovely strawberry, red fruit, just gorgeous. My #6 and the group #4. Correctly guessed as Cheval Blanc.
  • 2004 Château Mouton Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (3/23/2024)
    Seems a Pauillac nose, really nice, getting some horse, quite toasty, leaner, focused, tight, lovely really, lots of spicy green elements, sneaky tannins. My #1 and the clear #1 of the whole group. Correctly guessed as Mouton.

Day 2, Flight 1

These were decidedly more structured than the first flight from Saturday. Still approachable but with a lot of toothy tannins.

• 2004 Château Giscours - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (3/24/2024)
    Bright berry, touch of sea air, leaf, touch of alcohol, right bank? Some raisin, cotton candy, quite mature. My #5 and the group #2. Incorrectly guessed as Gazin.
  • 2004 Château Gazin Pomerol - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (3/24/2024)
    Mmm, tobacco and cassis, iron, mineral, cedar, spicy, lovely red fruit, lean. My #2 and the group #4. Incorrectly guessed as Pontet-Canet.
  • 2004 Château Montrose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (3/24/2024)
    Mmm, roasted, horse, dark, stern, cranberry, menthol/pine, yum, firm, chewy, very elevated acidity, spicy. I love this sort of beastly beast of a wine. My #1 and the group #1. Correctly guessed as Montrose.
  • 2004 Château Pontet-Canet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (3/24/2024)
    Very floral, faint at first, getting toastier, super spicy, cinnamon, cedar, really sharp with nice energy. My #4 and the group #6. Incorrectly guessed as Giscours.
  • 2004 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (3/24/2024)
    Toasty, espresso, barnyard. Mmmm, really vibrant, firm tannins, lean, focused, taut, not very generous. My #3 and the group #5. Correctly guessed as Leoville Barton.
  • 2004 Château Pavie Decesse - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (3/24/2024)
    Soy, ripe, sur maturite, plum jam, VA, obviously right bank, very spicy, chocolate, chewy, drying tannins, pretty opulent and fun, tasty, extreme, showing a prune juice aspect over time. My #6 and the group #3. Very easily identified as Pavie-Decesse.

Day 2, Flight 2

Stellar across the board. The Calon-Segur was lovely but a fish out of water compared to the other 5 wines.

• 2004 Château Calon-Ségur - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (3/24/2024)
    Mmm, lead pencil, green, LEAFY, wonderful, wonderful vegetal aspect if you like that. Personally I just love the herbal character, very reminiscent of a recent 2000 Figeac, spicy, leafy, tobacco, nice red fruit, tart. Almost like a rich Chinon. My #5 and the group #6. Correctly guessed as Calon-Ségur.
  • 2004 Château Latour Grand Vin - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (3/24/2024)
    Shy, dusky, earthy, horse, berry, floral, really intense, seamless, silky, red fruit, a laser, powerful, silky tannins, sneaky. My #2 and the group #3. Incorrectly guessed as Palmer.
  • 2004 Château Léoville Las Cases - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (3/24/2024)
    Ripe, roasty/toasty, touch of coffee, cherry, much lighter, fine, focused, iced tea, cherry dry. My #6 and the group #5. Incorrectly guessed as Haut-Brion.
  • 2004 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (3/24/2024)
    Shy, cedar, powdered sugar, spice, mint, menthol. Really silky, focused, pretty, light, elegant, dry. Dusty and fine finish, super sneaky tannins. My #3 and the group #1. Incorrectly guessed as Lafite.
  • 2004 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (3/24/2024)
    Mmm, sharp, cedar, spice, toasty/coffee, horsey, cassis, faintly bitter, quite tannic and massive. My #1 and the group #2. Incorrectly guessed as Latour.
  • 2004 Château Palmer - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (3/24/2024)
    Higher alcohol, slightly leafy, gaining tobacco, mmm, cranberry, firm, powerful, really tannic but not like the Lafite. My #4 and the group #4. Incorrectly guessed as Leoville Las Cases.

As always, thank you for the generosity and chance to focus on such lovely wines.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Great notes Eric. Any insight to the confusion blind between Pomerol and Pauillac, I’d think they’d be easier to pick out as a region. Producer is always a guess unless you know the flight ahead of time.

Thanks.

I need to drink more Bordeaux. Too many Rhones. I am rusty. I should be able to do better on commune…

Does not compute.

1 Like

I’ve been to enough tastings with enough bordeaux experts with decades of experience to know, with absolute certainty, that it’s always infinitely easier to talk about the differences between communes than to actually nail them in a blind tasting or series of blind tastings.

I appreciate all you lads posting your notes.

3 Likes

I wonder about that. Seems to me that that takes a particularly astute and experienced palate to get it right every time when you are comparing Bordeaux across appellations from the same vintage. Some of the Pomerol they had can, in some vintages, deceive, say VCC for example when it has a more Cab Franc dominant blend, or a more muscular Pomerol like a Gazin.

This was my first time veing invited to the annual Bordeaux tasting. Todd, Don and Eric described the wines very well so I will just stick to the big picture. The only 2004 Bordeaux wine that I didn’t pass on was Chateau Margaux when the vintage was released so I was very curious of how this tasting would turn out, I am also a little rusty with blind tasting so it was very educational for me.

The first flight on day 1 was the weakest flight. Les Forts de Latour was my favorite.
The second flight was excellent and with the exception of the Mouton being the standout the quality was very similar. Any sommelier that chose any of them for me would earn a generous tip.

On day 2 the first flight was much better than the previous day’s first flight. Chateau Montrose was my favorite. My order of preference changed 3 times while tasting the second flight as the wines opened up. In the end the Haut Brion was my favorite of the flight but I still think the Mouton was the most memorable wine of the weekend.

Mark Taylor has a heart of gold and I am extremely grateful for his generosity. I also enjoyed getting to see old friends and meeting new ones.

3 Likes

Sorry I’m reading these so late in the game, but wow—absolutely stellar notes, guys. I love how different your takes are. Makes me almost feel like I was there. Many, many thanks and bravo

Mike