Angelus, 89 Troplong Mondot, 89 Pavie, 89 Tertre, 89 Cheval, 89 Canon & more!!!

89 Chateau Angelus is a sexy, spicy, rich, opulent, and hedonistic. Spicy blackberries with hints of coffee please your nose, while your palate enjoys being drenched in all that luscious, concentrated fruit. Now is a great time to be popping this wine. 96 Pts

89 Chateau Beau-Sejou Becot kicked off with a spicy nose filled with blackberry, truffle and cherry. This medium bodied wine is fully mature. The ‘89 lacks the same level of depth and ripeness found in current vintages. 89 Pts

89 Chateau Canon is deep ruby in color. The enjoyable nose expresses spice, herbs, truffles, and licorice, along with hints of plum. Very sexy in the mouth, this tasty treat spills ripe, black cherries all over your mouth in the long, enjoyable finish. 93 Pts

89 Chateau Canon La Gaffeliere kicks off with truffle, spice, stewed black fruit, tar, and 5 spice aromatics. The wine, fully mature, ends with a mélange of red and black fruits in a soft, velvety style on the palate. Owners should drink this sooner than later, since the wine is slowly going to drop its fruit. 90 Pts

89 Chateau Cheval Blanc, considering the vintage and the great success enjoyed by many properties from the Right Bank, this is slightly disappointing. Light in color, with flowers, herbs, cherries and smoke aromas. Elegant and silky, and filled with finesse, but, unfortunately, also quite light. The finish was short in the mid palate as well. If this were a quarter of the price, I’d be thrilled; yet, for Cheval Blanc, all I can say is that it’s no 1990. 90 Pts

89 Chateau Clos de Sarpes was produced in a way completely different from the one the Chateau employs today. The `89 saw no oak and was subject to little selection. The wine was aged entirely in tank. Light licorice tones and earth notes are in the perfume. In the mouth, little enough fruit remains: it’s probably been drying out for the past several years. The wines today are much better than this one, and, unlike this example, will age for decades. 75 Pts
89 Chateau La Dominique offered a great nose from the start. Purchased for the princely sum of $15, it’s definitely paid dividends. Black fruit, plums, and fresh herbs. Medium bodied, but mouth filling. Plush, elegant mouth feel. Now fully mature. 91 Pts

89 Chateau Pavie was already brick colored. The perfume of tobacco, spice, earth, and truffle was a pleasure to smell. But the wine was simple, lacking the same level of depth, excitement, and intensity found in the wines made at the property today. This bottle was served to me blind by Jean-Luc Thunevin. After tasting the wine and expressing my thoughts, Jean-Luc called 89 Pavie, “a wine of terroir”. I asked if that was good or bad in this case. With his impish grin, he slyly smiled and said “both’. 88 Pts

89 Chateau Tertre Rotebouef spicy raspberry, earthy, herbal, plumy, black cherry nose. Rich, complex, and multi layered, this unique expression of St. Emilion has reached maturity. The wine ends with a big mouth of chocolate covered strawberry flavor and velvet textures. 94 Pts

89 Chateau Tertre Rotebouef has shown a lot of bottle variation. A bottle opened in Los Angeles showed a lot of tart, over the hills qualities, while a bottle tasted in DC was even better than the one tasted for this note. This particular bottle was tasted at the Chateau in June. The best bottles offer a great tasting experience, but I’ve had other bottles that were similar to the one opened in Los Angeles.

89 Chateau Troplong Mondot was stunning. Rich, fat, sexy, decadent fruit fills every reach of your palate. Incredibly concentrated, with multiple layers of opulent, smoky, ripe black fruit, plums, and minerals. This already stunning wine, while ready to drink today, will further improve with additional cellar time. 96 Pts

I had a bottle of the 89 Angelus a couple of months ago…I agree with you Jeff, it’s drinking great right now.

We all have different takes on wines. At least we should. As far as provenance, this praticular bottle was tasted at CLG last June and has not been moved since it was first laid down.

Serge… Bill is not that far off. [thumbs-up.gif] Eric and I speak often. I use Excel for the wines in my cellar. While it is not close to what CT offers, it works for the time being. For notes, in Bordeaux, I always carry Moleskin books. I still have the books from every trip.

For my previous notes, I do not pay much attention to them. In a way, they are like old bottles, once they are used, (posted on a web site) I discard them.

I have thousands stored on Ebob that when I eventually become a CT user, I will transfer over. It will be a cool trip down memory lane reading them.