And so it begins - Leslie Sbrocco and collateral damage online

I am no news anchor, but is it the news anchor job to do all of this, or the producer of the show?

Just curious…

I am an expert … in watching TV. I don’t really give a crap whose job it is. I would just prefer it be handled in advance of the interview, that is all.

So in my mind, if Evan had any suspicion that this was a shill job it would be better to raise it in advance. Or if it didn’t hit him until he was in the interview, saw the set, made the connection on the wines, then more power to him. In this particular instance I find myself siding with Evan, and I am also fascinated about the growing expectations around disclosure which I think is wonderfully healthy.

Evan can of course answer for himself and definitively so, but if I had my guess, its that it most occurred to him when he saw her set and camera work focusing on the labels. Where I’ve worked, the vetting job would be done by the producer, not the interviewer.

Evan says as much over on eBlob. Once he saw the set that is.

Yeah, I just rewatched the segment … it is pretty obvious once that set shows up and that pan to the tomato soup and wine labels. I do think he was pretty amiable about the whole thing. Frankly it is pretty innocuous.

I find it quite amazing that people can criticize Evan over this.

Leslie was caught in a lie, and not even on TV, after that, when Dale Williams saw that she adjusted her website AFTER THE FACT.

Maybe the producers did not ask the right questions, but the reporter did. Then she dug herself a deeper ditch by changing her websote.

Joe James must be doing consulting work for her.

It is okay to be friends with her and you can tell us all that she is very nice, but in this instance, she is far from innocent.

A book tour, I love it, for a book from 3 years ago…

+1 on Evan being in the 100% right here. Could he have handled it differently? Maybe but that is an extraordinarily minor issue. The real issue is one of deception. Perhaps Leslie doesn’t think it’s a big deal or that it was obvious she was a shill. Consumers should think it’s a big deal that she was an unacknowledged shill.

She got caught. End of story.

I think Eric makes a good point - perhaps the most important one here: If we truly can’t figure out a paying sponsor in advance, there’s a good reason to cancel the interview. That’s on the producer and it’s certainly on me, too. As I’ve said, in most cases the producer (who books most segments) will ascertain paying sponsors - and typically it’s all provided in advance notes and information. I figured that I could handle that question for the viewers during the segment in an innocuous, low-key way, but in retrospect we should have probably just ditched it.

Evan,

Eric’s suggestion is a good one, however, if that does not happen, and you are caught on air, staring at “deceit,” what do you do?

You did the right thing.

Just stay away from the other sandbox, they do not know how to play nice.

Daniel - It’s my first foray over there, and I trust it will remain cordial and civil.

Alright, we will ask Pohlman and John Lahart to post over here, then…

To be frank, the real story in this:

Dr. Vino is the new Ralph Nader of wine.

Evan, bravo. You are a breath of fresh air.

Wilfred, it certainly does seem like all of the interesting stuff is breaking on Dr. Vino of late…

Puleeze

headbang

Parker weighs in…keep it real, keep it fu, it is only wine…I met her for one minute…she was awesome…

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showpost.php?p=2792949&postcount=66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She lied about her pay for play. You cannot be upset, because some of your critics have been accused of the same thing, right?

And then, he does his usual side bar commentary, as his ADD kicks in…stay focused Bob…

That was a really slimy drive-by from RP. Really, really slimy. I have lost all respect I had for him. What a low-life piece of shit gutterball.

A.

Scott’s response says it all.
I know why Bob would want to throw me under a bus, but why would he do that to Scott, someone that he calls a friend?

+1 [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Seriously truly astonishing…

I grabbed a screen capture, as I can’t expect that to remain in the archives as is.

Parker must be drunkm as Eric suggested. He should say he is, just to save face.