And so it begins - Leslie Sbrocco and collateral damage online

Interesting segment to watch. Before I became a psychologist, I was a broadcaster–my degree (BA) is in communications and I worked for several stations, the longest being at an NBC station. There’s no question in my mind this was not an “ambush”–it was obvious this was a sponsored segment from the fancy set and the prominent product placement and the camera work, focusing on the labels of the wine. Had I been the interviewer, I’m certain I would have asked the same question–it just screamed of a paid for segment–not at all subtle. The problem, however, was in Sbrocco’s halting and nervous answer, as if she had been caught. As someone else said, had she just sluffed it off and said “Yes, I’m a delighted and paid spokesperson for Beringer’s wines because I respect them so much” that would have been the end of it.

Good question by the interviewer; surprisingly amateur response by Sbrocco. It ‘read’ on camera just like she got caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Very unprofessional response.

There’s a local “celebrity chef” on the radio and sometimes television named Chef Jamie. She pimps incessantly for Bristol Farms (a very expensive market chain) and used to do ads for Beringer noting that “When I cater high profile events I always serve Berninger White Zinfandel because it is so versatile and the guests will see that the client cared to serve premium wines” (paraphrased but very close).

I almost ran my car off the road the first time I heard that one…

Coming a bit late to this thread, sorry…

First, I don’t blame anyone for being surprised to find a news reporter/anchor can write full sentences in an intelligible fashion. I’d say you’d be stunned to see some of the writing that takes place in your average newsroom these days, but I honestly don’t think anyone would be stunned. I also can’t blame anyone for taking digs at our programming. The broadcast news industry has changed quite a bit in my decade in the business; it’s one significant reason why I’ll probably be out of it before long if things don’t change. No one cares about me in this story, but I’ll just say that I came in as a political reporter and I’ve tried to adjust to being a news anchor covering a combination of hard news and lifestyle segments. The most noble profession it ain’t.

One of the more recent changes at our station was an expansion to four hours of morning news. We report on a variety of news, from hard news to entertainment “news” to the ostensibly imperative semi-daily coverage of Mel Gibson’s love life. And yes, we book occasional national guests. I’ve provided some insight into that process on the Dr. Vino site, but suffice to say: We turn down a hell of a lot of pabulum. We attempt to book guests only if there is potential value to viewers. We succeed sometimes and we fail sometimes. Our executive producer, not a wine drinker, booked Ms. Sbrocco based on the pitch, which I copied and pasted over on Dr. Vino.

For those who might guess that my superiors had any issue with the question I asked, they did not. That’s because it’s standard practice to make sure our audience knows what’s up. Typically I do it beforehand, to wit: “Joining us live is Brad Pitt, who’s working with the Ron Jeremy Foundation to promote the awesomeness of facial hair.” In the case of Ms. Sbrocco, it was truly unclear to me. Could have been a book sponsor, a television program sponsor, or some other outfit. Yes, it was rather clear when I saw the wines, which is why I tried to ask in a very friendly manner. I don’t think the question was particularly aggressive. A much snarkier question would have been, “Which wines would you recommend when you’re not getting paid to do it?”

And yes, I’m the Finger Lakes Editor for the New York Cork Report. I’m completing a book, but none of the winemakers or wines that appear in the book paid for the inclusion. While I love wine, I recognize it can be a labyrinthine mess for people who don’t dig all the little details like I do. Transparency is always important, and especially so with a topic that can be confusing. I don’t know Ms. Sbrocco personally, and I didn’t seek to offend.

Cheers, and happy to comment on any other issues pertaining to this matter.

Evan

Great explanation for your actions, thanks!

You asked a fair question and got an honest response. Truth in the wine business, who would have thought?

Evan, I just watched the clip and it all seemed perfectly reasonable. This hardly smacked of an ambush, at least to me.

Thanks Daniel - I can be much more firm. Though I must say, I was surprised the following interview engendered calls for my firing and, preferably, my immediate public execution:

http://www.13wham.com/content/blogs/story/Was-I-Too-Rough-In-My-Interview-With-Betsy/RDcX9cWw5UGkIdzZdcB5Vw.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/shameless self-promotion. Worth a laugh if you think death panels are like sea dragons. Not so funny if you think politicians’ secret health care goals entail the mass murder of octogenarians.

Thought everyone should see this…

“If you view my website, I clearly state the relationship with Beringer for this particular event (publications and tv stations have advertisers don’t they?).”-Leslie S

“Was this interview on Nov 11th? Ms. Sbrocco’s website indeed mentions the Beringer sponsorship on front page currently. But the Google cached version dated Nov 11, 2009 12:39:42 GMT doesn’t have anything about Beringer on front page. And a quick look through other pages (current)I see lists of clients and sponsors, but no mention of Beringers/Fosters. Just curious if the disclosure came before or after the question was asked.”-Dale Williams

Evan, I am the one who was surprised by but also complimented your very well written responses. You should know that I am friendly with some of your counterparts here and MANY of them are VERY articulate. But a few aren’t.

Welcome to the board!

Roberto -

Cheers and thanks. Nice to be here. I was being somewhat facetious; certainly there are some wonderfully talented writers in my industry. But too often my ilk fits the stereotype.

Anyway, these days I prefer to think of myself as a wine writer first!

“Typically I do it beforehand, to wit: ‘Joining us live is Brad Pitt, who’s working with the Ron Jeremy Foundation to promote the awesomeness of facial hair.’”

Evan, you are gonna fit in GREAT here!

Evan, have you ever interviewed John D. Zuccarino of Silver Springs winery? If so, got out takes?

I realize the John Z thing is good for a laugh, but I’m not touching it. He’s come after my colleague Lenn and me many times, but not too long ago he crossed a line that is far beyond the basic bloviating we tend to see. It’s not worth anyone’s time to address it; he deserves nothing.

Or, shorter: Don’t feed the trolls. Hey, I’m serious. I realize it’s hard to look away, but don’t feed the trolls! Don’t do it!

Lawsuit coming…duck, Evan!

Roberto,

Did you take that picture of Ron Jeremy in the store, when he was buying Lambrusco?

No, someone e-mailed me that from BerserkerFest…

Citizen’s arrest!

Evan, good advice re John Z. Not the first time he crossed that (despicable) line.

Can you confirm that the interview was Nov 11th? Timestamp on video shows 7:5xm (which fits with her 4:30 comment), but not date. If so, the Google cache shot means there seems to be no mention of Beringer about 10 minutes before interview on her website (my mental math makes 12:39 GMT 7:39 EST and 4:39 California).

To be fair, the Nov 11, 2009 12:39:42 GMT website top feaure plugs one of her Today appearances, and that clip doesn’t seem to plug Beringer family wines. It’s hard to figure if it plugs other clients, as she lists on her website (under About Leslie) Southern W&S. Which covers a lot! Plus Wines of Spain.

The Wayback Machine at moment doesn’t list any 2009 stuff. Though I thought it interesting the most recent archive (2008) has a link to another Today episode. Where besides wine she uses a recipe with a jam from Harry and David - jar is prominently featured, name mentioned. On her website, she’s the wine consultant for H&D.

I’m sure she is a principled wine enthusiast. But disclosure makes everything better. I’m surprised at those who think questioning this is unfair, especially those who are supposed to be journalists.

Dale -

That interview time is correct. Wed the 11th, 7:50 am.

In particular I enjoyed the breaking news delivered on eBob: Evan Dawson is not Mike Wallace. Well, damn. I was hoping that by asking a basic question in a non-threatening, amiable way, I might earn the comparison. Guess that fell flat!

Evan

There are reasons that this board was created…

And reasons why it has so much traffic, interest, and daily activity…

Evan, I really appreciate you coming here to represent yourself. I remain fascinated by the intensity of the reaction–when I first watched this the other day it seemed innocuous enough, but as is often the case with failures in disclosure the response (not yours) has seemed to make things worse.

Everyone seems to have their two cents here, so I will give you mine. (I think it is worthy about a penny.) You were certainly well within your right to conduct the interview as you did. I don’t think it was an ambush, a gotcha etc. That said, if similar situations arise for you in the future, I think all parties would be better served to try and proactively suss out things like this in advance of the interview, off-air. Just look at the reaction on eBob. Then again though, look at all the attention this has gotten, so that shows what I know about publicity…