An older Virginia and Maryland red

I have cellared both of these since release. I was worried that I waited too long and the initial taste on PnP reinforced that belief but both wines take only a few minutes to wake up. Medium bodied wines with the 2006 Black Ankle Crumbling Rock showing a bit more body and more black fruit than the red fruited 2005 Barboursville Octagon. Both wines are listed at 13.5% and that feels right as there is a bit of acidity keeping them lively and no overripe flavors. Tannins are resolved and the wines are quite balanced. Truly a surprise that both were in such good shape at this age and probably both at peak. The Crumbling Rock was the first vintage produced from young vines (four year old I believe). The Octagon is a Merlot heavy blend from back when the prevalent belief was that Merlot rots too easily to work in Virginia.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info on the Black Ankle. It is a nice place to visit (being near by) although the wines can be a hit or miss proposition. Good to hear of the aging being a positive. Getting time to pay them another visit.

Curt

Cool! I have a couple '06 Octagon in the cellar.

Agreed on Black Angle. A bit pricey for what they are.

We attended a 20 year or so vertical of Octagon and many of the wines were drinking very well. Overall we weren’t too impressed with the Barboursville lineup when we visited the winery.

Anybody have thoughts on Early Mountain?

1 Like

I really enjoy it. I was able to try their top end red once and was like oooof that’s a lot to ask… but their other wines are absolutely fantastic (referring to Early Mountain)

We stopped by on a Sunday drive at Black Ankle. Nice place and we were allowed to have our dog at the outside table. Wines were pretty good and not what you expect. I think I have one in the cellar some where. Folks my spouse knows own the nearby Loew vineyards so we stopped there, too. Always a fun outing to hit local wineries.