Am i nuts about 13

Hurdur what’s the deal with old wines they taste dead. Gonna drink young ones instead. Nope too tannic. Derp

93 points

I am sick and tired you guys just missing the point on the 2010s. They are better than the 2010s, but not as good as 2010. I expect in the fullness of time, you may be right, the 2010 will be the better vintage, but it will take patience. But in the meantime, i would stick with 2010.

+2

It’s the year 2017. Ageworthy cabernet from the 2013 vintage isn’t going to be mature yet. You shouldn’t even want it to be ready now.

Backfill older vintages, open early drinking vintages like 2012 and 2009, and so forth to allow these better wines from 2013 to develop.

do people really think 2012 is an early drinker?

Bought a couple for my son’s birth year so rooting for them to last at least 21 years.

Just because a Cab is drinking well early in its lifespan doesn’t mean it won’t age well. (see: “2002 Napa and Sonoma”)

I would kindely ask to clarify which ´13 you are talking about!

US? California? Napa ?
Bordeaux? Burgundy ? Cote-Rotie?

I mean - this is to a certain extend an international forum (is it really ?) …

So what?

And BTW:

Well i keep on drinking various 13’s and they are not softening and fruit is not coming out.<<

… are we talking about “table wine” or what?

Any FINE wine from ANY region - and complaining after 2 years in the bottle …!
??? [shock.gif]

He says it in his post what region he’s talking about.

Alan seems to feel obliged to start a thread every month or two on the subject of some made-to-age wines that are not to his liking very early in their lives. Or he starts one questioning what the point of aging wines is. If he just stuck to wines that can be drunk on release, we would be spared these discussions.

yes, you’re nuts about 13
store them away for 5-10 or sell them
they’re gonna be like this for a while

but what about the 10’s?

While we’re poking fun around with the topic…

My 2011 Vintage Ports aren’t tasting as silky, rose-inflected, earthy, and soft as I wish they would. They’re all tight and tannic.

Thoughts?

My '13 Madeiras have yet to come around. 1813, I mean.
:astonished:

2013 Bordeaux suxs. I’m quitting the region.

You had me at “am I nuts.”

The 2011 vintage ports need a 20 minute double decant to open up and remove 6 yrs of sediment. Give it a try and get back with us.

On another note, why aren’t those 2013 Barolos ready yet?! it’s been 3yrs!!

/thread?
[wink.gif]

It’s the year 2017. Ageworthy cabernet from the 2013 vintage isn’t going to be mature yet. You shouldn’t even want it to be ready now.
[/quote]

Alan seems to feel obliged to start a thread every month or two on the subject of some made-to-age wines that are not to his liking very early in their lives. Or he starts one questioning what the point of aging wines is. If he just stuck to wines that can be drunk on release, we would be spared these discussions.[/quote]

im so sorry John, for some dumb reason i thought discussing topics that i want to discuss with others was the point of a wine forum. How about I run all future posts past you first to ensure that im not being repetitive or boring ? oh hang on i know why, free speech. Its strange when i talk about aging wines its a pain in the ass but when 73 people in a row post Oh look at me i got the latest Cult cab allocation thats considered worthy and am an asshole for challanging the boastful nature of some people here.

So i know two things will happen next, you and a few others will critic my grammar and ill be told im a moron by the same group who do every post.

Am i really the predictable one ?

Meaner than Iron Mike in his prime? Alan don’t let those '13s bully you so. Stand up for yourself man!

Damn, Bobby got in before I could make that prediction come true. [wink.gif]

Not a moron, but you do seem to be deadhorse with buying sturdy, structured cellaring wines, then wondering why they are such difficult wines to drink in their youth.

It would be better to come at this from the other end of the timescale, buying 2-3 wines in a similar style, but with 15-25 years of age on them. If you don’t like any of those, then it will be a better guide as to whether these wines suit you. For most people (see below) this is almost a guarantee of disappointment.

There are people however who just love tannins & grip. They like the textural aspect. Not especially true for me - I like tannins but more so as they are fading on such wines, giving gentle grip but still letting the aged elements shine through. I wonder if your comment about people posting on recent release (cult) wines is also catching some of these folk in the net - that they rather enjoy tannins, acidity and bold youthful fruit, all vying for centre stage? Yes there may be some braggarts out there as well, but they exists across the spectrum, including those that enjoy fully mature wines.

Regards
Ian