Alsace March 2023

I’ve read some great info on places to visit from prior posts. Thank you to those who have posted!

Planning to visit in late March. If anyone has any advice and/or recommendations for visiting during that time of year I’d greatly appreciate the help.

Definitely planning on visitng Zind-Humbrecht and Trimbach, hopefully Albert Boxler. I’m certainly not the Alsace expert, and haven’t had a ton of exposure to the wines. From what I’ve had, my favorites are Zind-Humbrecht Muscat Grand Cru Goldert, and Trimbach Cuvee FE. Hoping to learn more, and be exposed to some cool, interesting, and unique stuff.

Additionally, if anyone had advice on wine purchases in either Paris, or the Alsace region (To take back to the US) I’d certainly love to hear it. Any particular shops/places where you can save money vs. purchasing here in the states? Really want to find some Cheval Blanc from the great years, (98, 00, 05, 09, and 10). Don’t have the income to afford the prices here…

Bob, not sure if you found my travelogue from a few years ago, Alsace is in there, might help a little.

Similarly, there are a few Alsace notes from my trip last year.

Really good dinners at La Taverne Alsacienne and Winstub du Chambard.

It’s been years, but Weinbach gave very personalized tastings, met with one of the Faller sisters (appointment only if I recall).

Schoffit also did an elevated tasting with prior appointments.

Consider bringing an empty shipper with you, they are scarce there.

Buying at the wineries represent significant savings, at stores not do much. Know your prices in the US before buying at stores.

I’ll follow this thread carefully!
I would love to go there for a family trip (with a 2 year old toddler and a 6 year old). Any good stops that will get the family onboard? Sorry for the minor hijack of the op post…

As for bargains, really depends on what you are looking for. I think the benefits might be there with the USD currency, Bordeaux on the other hand is not much cheaper in Europe. Maybe think about scares and difficult to get hold of wines/winemakers.

Don’t limit yourself to physical wine shops. Order online works perfectly fine and I have never come across a hotel rejecting to receive the wines if you ask in advance. You can even order from other countries like German, just make sure you order a bit in advance.

Shipping costs to US usually. eats into savings of wines sub100 euros.

I’ve spent a good amount of time in Alsace; and am familiar with their wines. There have already been made some good suggestions above (Weinbach/Faller amongst them). I suggest to add an appointment at Léon Beyer in Eguisheim. Their wines are particularly food friendly (the old man and Marc Beyer are well known for being gourmets); and there’s a good Michelin star restaurant in the heart of Eguisheim that features their wines - or at least there used to be, as I haven’t been back to France since the pandemic started, and many restaurants have closed.

Re: buying fine/famous vintage Bdx in Paris (or Bdx itself for that matter), in my experience, prices are generally much better in the US.

Thank you all so much for your replies.

A ton of great info here!

Hi Bob - Did you make it to Alsace? We’d love to hear about your trip.

Hey Patrick, thanks for asking.

Unfortunately had to reroute my trip to Italy and Slovenia instead.

Just had a chance to make a couple of impromptu visits to a couple of wineries in Slovenia: Edi Simcic and Carolina Jakoncic. Both were excellent.

1 Like