All Things Trader Joe's - 2020 Grand Reserve SRH Pinot Noir Lot #106

I grabbed another bottle, and my prior notes still stand. It’s NOT, IMHO, a ‘back up the truck’ purchase, but for a measly $13, it’s satisfying and yes, ‘pinot’ in varietal character.

The warden showed up with this tonight. AV? 2020 Interesting…

There is also a Sonoma Valley lot# 221 in the cart.
20211112_165342_HDR.jpg

No smoke taint here. Very good value for those that enjoy a fruit drive chard.

• 2020 Trader Joe’s Chardonnay Reserve Lot# 222 - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/13/2021)
    Aromas of pear and a hint of vanilla bean. The palate is a juicy yellow fruited pear and lychee nut. There’s no citrus in the form of lime or lemon with this wine. The warden enjoyed this wine and I thought it was okay but I tend to prefer a little more edgy acid driven wines.

Posted from CellarTracker

Color hints at St Rita. Fresh strawberry aroma. There’s a sweet strawberry flavor on the attack which transitions to more of a dark tart cherry note. Very fine tannins and a hint of oak. Can’t beat the value, who’s ever had a pinot for under $10 and certainly not from this area…

Posted from CellarTracker

The label says vanilla and hazelnuts; which are faults for a Pinot IMHO. You didn’t get that in your notes, thank god, and I would just wonder why the heck they would put that on the label. Maybe they got it mixed up with a Cab TN [tease.gif]

Because most buyers of Pinot don’t know that Pinot usually doesn’t show vanilla or hazelnut. I’m not criticizing those buyers, just commenting that these are probably attractive profiles in wine for the average consumer of $10 wine. In other words, marketing.

What kind of flaw/fault does hazelnut signify?

[popcorn.gif]

For a young Pinot this is either oxidation or overly oaked? (at this pricing, I would assume oak chips in tanks)

What will kid #2 think when I tell them their main caloric intake form is oxidized?!

Overly oaked is neither a flaw nor a fault. It’s a style choice.