All Things Trader Joe's - 2020 Grand Reserve SRH Pinot Noir Lot #106

I just got back from my Trader Joe’s. No SRH #106, but my store in Chicago had 2020 Russian River Valley, Lot #105.

image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg
I Coravined a bottle. Similar notes to above. Smells like Pinot; tastes like Pinot. No obvious issues. Medium body, dark plum colored. Cherries on the front; cranberry on the back. Just not a lot of depth or layers. As stated - decent wine and great QPR. Would be a great wine for parties.

Thanks for the comments & color on this, even if its not my wheelhouse. I think these are more useful (to me) than Le Pin (or other unobtaniums) tasting notes…

FWIW it was a Syrah you posted on. The vintage changed and the price went from $10 to $15. A nice wine but when I tasted it seemed young and needed a year or two. Nice wine but not really a good value at $15. Will look for the SRH Pinot.

Was at TJs this AM getting groceries and was reminded of this thread. Came home with a few bottles of the pinot

We bought 2 bottles and sampled one, not bad but it did not exhibit much pinot character. It was PnP so maybe a decant would help.

Prince of Pinot just posted about this:

“The Pinot Noir wines at Trader Joe’s are always a gamble but a flyer that sometimes pays off. That is because the wines are obtained from many different sources and producers, some of which are known for bulk wines and producing wines destined for grocery market shelves. I would recommend avoiding all Trader Joe’s label Pinot Noir wines priced under $12 and only try those with a reserve series designation.

2019 Trader Joe’s Lot #79 Platinum Reserve Carneros Pinot Noir
White and silver label, 14.25%, $14.99. Artificial cork. Label says “Vinted and bottled by Carneros Cellars, Napa, CA.” a producer I cannot locate. · Moderately light garnet color in the glass. Aromas of cherry and spicy oak. Mid-weight flavors of red cherry, strawberry and a shadow of oak. Decent, with silky tannins and a short finish. Leans too much on oak for my taste. Score: 89

2020 Trader Joe’s Grand Reserve Lot #106 Sta. Rita Hills Pinot Noir
13.7% alc. $12.99. Black label, real cork. A featured wine in Trader Joe’s Fall Fearless Flyer. Label says, “Produced by Bozzano & Co., Morgan Hill, CA. This company specializes in grape and bulk wine sourcing and sales. Wherever they sourced this wine is a mystery, but it is damn good. · Light ruby red color in the glass. Aromas of strawberry, cherry and sandalwood leap from the glass. Light in weight and elegant, but with engaging flavors that echo the nose. Gossamer tannins make for very easy drinking, the texture is refined and silky, and there is an appealing cherry-fueled finish. This is not a bombastic wine, but is tres Pinot. Score: 91

2 Likes

Yup. Pretty much what I wrote above.

Prince of Pinot saw this thread? LOL

1 Like

Truly remain curious about sourcing on this. Thinking of larger sites in the area - Foley, Fiddlestix, Peake, Dierberg . . . It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out - and I’d be very surprised if you see this deal again next year at this price. Can’t see how anyone makes much $$$ at this price.

Cheers!

i actually went out looking for this yesterday and sadly it was sold out. very curious as i have never tried a private label tj wine. hopefully my store gets a restock…

105 is what’s in my market. Pretty generic stuff. If I work hard at it I can get a hint of spice, otherwise little Pinot character. Mostly in-your-face raspberry fruit. No flaws besides some reduction and about what I’d expect for 13 bucks at Trader Joe’s.

Lot #105 is RRV

Have not had it.

#105 is all my TJs had. It’s better than generic, and it’s better than most of the other $13 Pinots around. It’s not going to impress your wine geek friends, but it might be a party pleaser around Thanksgiving or the holidays.

A day in the fridge helped out the rest of the bottle, toning down overt fruitiness and bringing out a bit of tea-like character. Normally I don’t like things as much the next day but in this case it was helpful.

According to Anthony, this blend was assembled from 5 lots of wine from 4 primo wineries of some top-tier winemakers.
He seems quite proud of this blend. Rightfully so.
Tom

106 or 105 or both?

''Twas the #106 StaRitaHills. Anthony didn’t do the #105 which is RRV.
Tom

Possibly another TJ Pinot, this time 2019 carneros. The warden is picking on up for giggles.

It’s designated Platinum Reserve. You can’t just do that unless it’s special.

Spiced cake, black cherry, plum, pine needle/tree sap, violet, and black tea. Fills out with air. Medium bodied with good lift. Astringent (think fruit peel), saline finish with an appreciable amount of tannin. Should have some upside to cellaring (86-88?).

Worthy of the $15 tariff? For Pinot, probably, but I enjoy the SRH Lot# 106 bottling better.

Posted from CellarTracker