Alchemy: Choice into Prime

Steak Recipe: How to turn cheap "choice" steaks into "prime" steak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven’t tried it, can’t confirm or deny.
I report, you decide.

Interesting…

I will have to try this on one prime strip from costco and test it side by side with another prime strip from costco w/o salt.

I do this with steaks and the result is a big improvement over supermarket or semi fancy choice meat.
I put my meat on a rack (in the refrigerator) salt liberally and leave it for up to 2-3 days.

nothing new here, just a very misleading headline/title used in order to get people to click on the link. although the use of quotes around choice and prime is confusing.

as we all know, a prime grading is granted for higher amounts of intramuscular fat (and that alone). this process, of course, has no bearing on that. it will however increase the potential juiciness of the steak (as will any brining – up to a point) and of course also bring salt to the interior of the steak, resulting in more flavor (up to a point) – just like adding salt to anything; salt makes what you’re eating taste more like itself (up to a point).

Tyler, wouln’t a better comparison be a salted choice strip vs. an unsalted prime? Either way, I’ll be interested in the results.

I think it would be better to do the same steaks from the same loin and see what tastes better. Meat from the same hunk of cow has a chance for more control in this test.

Plus I really dont buy choice, buy the prime from costco.

Stumbled across this a while ago and have tried it. Results have always been very good. What I haven’t done yet is do a side by side with the same cow. Probably should soon. It makes sense in that it much more quickly does what the dry aging process does, sans perhaps a bit of the nice beef funk that comes with it. I would say it doesn’t so much make a choice steak a prime steak, but more makes it emulate a dry aged steak.