Air time for some 1995 Barolo

I’ve had a bunch of '95’s, and they are drinking well. In almost every case I opened → decanted → drank within an hour or so, and all were doing well. Held true for Altare and Sandrone all the way up the “tannic” curve to Giacosa.

Rick,

It’s too late, they should all have been opened last Friday. [basic-smile.gif]

I’m in the ~ 8 or so hours of Slow O camp. These babies are in the early part of their drinking window, so they won’t fall apart with air. But dramatically introducing air could shock the juice.

Rick, I agree with Ed on the Cappellano. I think I only have the pie franco, but these are brooding monsters. It will also have quite a bit of sediment. My bet is that the Monprivato shows the best.

Both would be nice, but the tasting is tomorrow and nothing like that will be found on the shelves here in Seattle… Next time.

You’ve got a nice,eclectic selection there,Rick.
Have fun.

I’ll post notes. Probably… (I’m bad at taking noted…)

Really going out on a limb there huh Chae ? [snort.gif]

So a little help on which Cappellano this is? It has Gabutti in regular type and ‘Franco’ as an extension in cursive under the Otin Fiorin.

Later years, the labeling changed and was clearer.

Steve, that’s the pie franco. Did you get it from RWC?

So this is all Michet ?

Nick, that’s what the Polaner site says.

http://www.polanerselections.com/portfolio.php?pID=1913&prodID=1899

Steve,you have the Pie Franco,the more “refined” companion to the Rupestris…both from Gabutti.
Last I heard,production was 1/3 to Pie Franco,2/3 to Rupestris.
Slow O all day
Drink all night

Indeed, I did get it from RWC. But my notes were poor and the label has changed so when I pulled it out, it was confusing.

Thanks for clearing it up!

I had the 95 “Franco” many moons ago - it was excellent! It was sold to me as “pre-phyloxxera” vines, whether that was true or not I don’t know. You will like that wine. dc.

It’s planted on native rootstock planted in 1989, rather than grafted. Thus, it might have pre-phyloxxera characteristics. I don’t actually know what that means from a style standpoint but it is interesting.

http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=48111&mpage=1&key=

Maestro’s comments are note worthy throughout the thread.

Opening a Barolo or Barbaresco
Pop’n’pour is a no-no. Period. A waste of wine and money.

Remove the cordk the night before and leave it in the cellar. The morning after smell the wine and judge the nose. The tighter it is the more it will need to be in the decanter. A tight nose in the morning after calls for transfering it to the decanter early in that morning and letting it aerate there for another 8 hours or so. A more generous nose might let you just keep the open bottle in the cellar and transfer it to the decanter about 3-5 hours before consuming.

Don’t worry – you can’t oxidize Nebbiolo (even older wines) with these procedures. It won’t fall apart. Trust me.

Maestro’s decanting regime works for adolescent to early maturity nebbiolo, but I would not decant a young nebbiolo so early. I would, instead, give it the Slow O for most of the day and then decant, if need be, an hour or so prior to tasting. Too much aeration of a young nebbiolo can shut it down.

So is 1995: adolescent to early maturity … or … is it young nebbiolo?

I’m thinking the former.

Steve, yup. The '95s are solidly in early maturity.

SAdly one of our group found a Cascina Francia. To ease the pain of finding a wine he didn’t know he had, he’s bringing it. Ah, the humanity…