Aging wine (purposefully) underwater

Maybe wine where the bottle is spun in a centrifuge so it’s super concentrated at the bottom and light at the top, sort of like a “black and tan”, and separated into 375s.

Jesu Cristo, Jeremy, I’m not an animal. We had people handle the shucking.

1 Like

Ha! That was good - laughed out loud [cheers.gif]

Seriously though, what the hell is that wine? I could only find 1 note on CT and it didn’t provide much detail. Something aged under water I’m assuming, but what’s the story??

Space-aged Bordeaux is already a thing:

This seems to be more and more popular with champagne. They find a depth were the pressure is the same as the bottle, and therefore no wax cap is needed. A company called Amphoris has set up in Ouessant off Brittany and is working with 4 or 5 different houses.
Here is a list:

1 Like

I clicked on the link and read about the stories, and I would say, as an importer of the House of Drappier we have brought in several cases of the submerged Cuveés - and then questioned each of the clients who we could what they found. It was unanimous, the complexity of flavors was similar to adding truffles to some eggs, or meat or pasta. I remember when I read that lovely book by the madame clicquot. In a difficult period she sent bottles to Russia in a ship that sank. Some years later the bottles were retrieved, and she found that the flavors were more pronounced and the aging was helped in a beneficial and surprising way. Another memory I have from her book was the famous comet that lit the sky - I forget was it 1851? Or 1871? and the Champagne of that vintage was superior to any she has ever produced.
So, it is all connected.

1 Like

I suppose this is a different story from the Clicquot, Heidsieck and Juglar bottles that were found 10 years ago in Baltic sea, after having remained there for two centuries? I haven’t heard of any other Clicquot bottles that were found from Baltic sea during Mme Clicquot’s time - and find it a bit hard to think how it would’ve been possible, since they had fairly little diving equipment back in the late 18th and early 19th century - which is why I’d love to hear more about this.

Another memory I have from her book was the famous comet that lit the sky and the Champagne of that vintage was superior to any she has ever produced.
So, it is all connected.

Can’t really see how even those two sentences are connected.

1 Like

Ervideira Winery in the Alentejo region in Portugal age some of their wines for about 8 months in a nearby lake. We tasted the red on a recent cycling trip and there was a (slight) difference between the one that had been aged in the lake vs the one aged in the cellar. To my uneducated palette, the one aged it the lake seemed to have a bit more body/tannin

it is dumb as fuck.

I think the connection is this- If you believe there will be a difference, your imagination convinces you that there is a difference.

1 Like

Just watching a recent episode of Pati Jinich’s La Fromtera on PBS. The owners of Casa de Piedra, in Valle de Guadalupe, Mexico have an operation that is experimenting with aging wine under water and having the bottles become encrusted with mussels. They’re doing it in conjunction with a mussel farm in the Bay of Ensenada. It’s called Amphibian.

She described the white they tasted as having a “briney taste”, which is interesting since the bottles are sealed.

1 Like

Not shocked that such an article would inspire a business and (even more sadder) folks to invest in it. They should also offer all a free Clef du Vin. Wish them all luck.

That’s just what Fabio Gea did for his DNAss bottling. I recently tried it and there was brief discussion here on the board:
TN: 2019 Fabio Gea DNAss

1 Like

+1 for the headline!