advice on an old Barolo

The 47 is amazing and immortal like you said.

Your plan sounds just about right. Enjoy.

To each his own is definitely true. I firmly believe in that. However, very light color doesn’t mean the wine won’t be outstanding. 50 year old nebbiolo could be very light, very dark, or anywhere in the middle, all on sound bottles. If its completely clear your not looking good. If its brown, same. But anywhere in the spectrum from light rose looking color to darker color without being fully brown could be good to outstanding.

Daniel, I’ve followed enough of your posts both here and on AG’s board to respect what you do, for whatever that is worth. (I’ve always respected what Klapp does, even though he used to mock me mercilessly.) When someone is drinking really old wine on a regular basis, there is the ability to calibrate expectations to what is appropriate for that experience. But for someone to occasionly have a 50 year old bottle (granted I have no idea how often the OP does, but since asking for preparation advice, I assume not too often) I would think that the subtleties would be lost on many. Unfortunately, I have to include myself in that number.

Just trying to help and make sure a good wine doesn’t get ruled out purely for color. Smell is by far the best indicator.

Fair point; though I would say that more often than not this would be down to poor handling of the wine rather than not being able to appreciate it. Too many P&P an old girl and dismis it straight off the bat rather when they would appreciate it a lot more a few hours later.