advice on an old Barolo

and use a Durand to get the cork out…

1 million percent. I never go anywhere without it.

Thanks to all,

I decanted the wine about 4 hours early (was not friendly coming out of the bottle) and left in the cellar.

The wine was interesting - was almost clear with little color. Had toffee/coffee/leather aromas and flavors and was fun to drink.

Of the bottles I have this one had to lowest fill - had to do surgery with Ah so and and cork screw to get cork out in pieces but was successful.

My kids were split on it - son liked it better than much younger wine we also had a the table and daughter preferred younger fruit filled wine.

Fun to drink with family and was a conversation starter in a world of iPhones and Instagram.

Cheers

What year was it?

Jeff - if your bottle has a black cap then add an extra 30mins to the advice below. If a red cap then 30mins should be fine in a decanter before being returned to bottle. The red caps are original-release and the black have been more recently released (library bottlings) and also have easier corks. There is a fair bit of vintage and bottle variation with red-caps, but I have had good experiences with their 67 Barolo and Barbaresco. Just try to serve early and with snacks - these tend to improve over time in glass and too many people drink them too quickly before then show everything they have.

Thanks for reporting back Jeff [cheers.gif]

I would very much have liked if Jeff could have reported that the 50 year old bottle had been a sublime experience. But does anyone doubt that it was closer to an academic exercise than any kind of visceral pleasure?

Michael
I don’t think you’ve read Jeff’s post, but rather chosen to overlay your preferences over the top.

Let me highlight things you may have missed in your haste to apply your own judgement:

I decanted the wine about 4 hours early (was not friendly coming out of the bottle) and left in the cellar.

The wine was interesting > - was almost clear with little color. Had toffee/coffee/leather aromas and flavors and > was fun to drink.

Of the bottles I have this one had to lowest fill - had to do surgery with Ah so and and cork screw to get cork out in pieces but was successful.

My kids were split on it - > son liked it better than much younger wine we also had a the table > and daughter preferred younger fruit filled wine.

Fun to drink with family > and was a conversation starter in a world of iPhones and Instagram.

You are entirely welcome to like/dislike the wines you taste, but you’re being very disrespectful to Jeff in your comments on an experience you didn’t have.

Regards
Ian

Hi Ian, I fully agree with your comments, but I would put Mr Monie into the troll category myself, so be warned.

cheers Brodie

It was a 1967 (like me) and red cap. I think I have 3 more so will try again with my wine drinking buddies.

Cheers

Saying a wine is interesting is like saying a woman is interesting. The emphasis is on politeness rather than visceral pleasure.

Hi Michael
You still appear to be struggling to read the whole post, and the highlighted comments.

Jeff graciously to return to the forum to post his impressions. It is incredibly disrespectful to try to twist those impressions to fit your own perceptions.

Regards
Ian

Hi Ian,
Thank you for the thoughtful analysis of my psyche. If you had bothered to follow my basic premise throughout this thread, that being expectations of any 50 year old wine are risky at best, then you would understand that my interpretation of Jeff’s experience is not disparaging in any way. I assumed some yahoo would interpret that way so I qualified my assessment by saying I hoped it would be everything he wanted it to be. We all perceive critiques in our own way, and when I hear “interesting and fun”, my understanding is that while the experience was not totally lacking, it was less than optimal. Fifty years is a long time to hold on to a wine and expectations after such an investment in time can be quite high and difficult to fulfill. Every forum should have an ombudsman and I can think of no one more qualified than you to fill that role here. I’m working on the ability to “go along to get along”, but I’m not sure that I will master it in this lifetime. Perhaps in the next. I promise that I will try harder so as to not offend your sensibilities.
Cheers, Mike

Michael
You don’t have to ‘go along to get along’. Just get along would be fine.

How about instead saying:
“Glad you and the family enjoyed the bottle Jeff. It does sound a little over-mature for my tastes (see recent thread), so it sounds like I’d be agreeing with your daughter.”

Regards
Ian

not to hijack the thread but I will be having a 1964 tomorrow for a lunch/dinnner that starts at 1pm. I plan on opening the wine and decanting around 8am and then filtering back into the bottle around 11 and will let it sit open in the bottle for the duration of the dinner. wish me luck!

FWIW, yesterday we had a 1964 Barbaresco, opened and decanted around 9AM, returned to bottle, left open on counter until dinner at 7PM. Showed mature but pretty, changed very little over the ensuing 2 or so hours. Unless the bottle/cork is unsound, from a 1964 nebbiolo I would expect anything from drinkable to excellent, even for the most modest versions, up to spectacular for the best. Tastes may vary of course, but I have never felt that 5-10 hours of air after decanting degraded any of my old Italian wines, and was generally necessary (based on periodic tasting).

Which 64? 64s are awesome wines and some require extended aeration. As another note on a 67, yesterday we had a 67 Giacosa Barbaresco Normale, a wine that when sound, is always on point. Decanted off sediment and given 5 hours in the decanter. Could have taken more no problem. Phenomenal wine.

Which 64? 64s are awesome wines and some require extended aeration. As another note on a 67, yesterday we had a 67 Giacosa Barbaresco Normale, a wine that when sound, is always on point. Decanted off sediment and given 5 hours in the decanter. Could have taken more no problem. Phenomenal wine.

it’s a 64 borgogno

Nonsense, if it’s not better/more interesting after 50 years in the bottle it’s not worth the juice it was made with.

The '67 Borgogno is a very cool wine - had a '47 recently that was in great shape. Those guys are practically immortal[cheers.gif]

As Ian suggests, to each his own. I’m not interested in wines that have ‘matured’ to the point of being “almost clear with little color”.