Accidental Wine Pairing Successes?

Riesling Spätlese and trail mix.

1 Like

With or with M&Ms? [cheers.gif]

With. I think it was the sugar coating that made the pairing, actually. [cheers.gif]

Black forest cake with any high scoring red wine [shrug.gif]

I have a mental picture of you reaching over to your kid’s plate for the steak and them reaching over and taking a sip from your glass.

Cheers,
fred

1 Like

Some recent ones…not sure these are accidental, but they work pretty well

Amontillado + Aged Comte on Baguette

Fino Sherry + Mentakio Pasta

Sikele - Terre Siciliane Grecanico (Orange Wine) + Ventresca Tuna/Good Olive Oil/Baguette

Living in the PNW there is a culty following for Pinot and wild Alaska salmon, but had an open Pomerol and Margaux open one night that were fantastic with a piece of King Salmon that was rich and fatty. Now Bordeaux is my go to.

I can attest to that, pinot is my usual go to (had one with some fresh salmon last night). Going to have to give Pomerol a try though.

Gravner skin contact Ribolla Gialla and shabu shabu. Normally, I never would have thought to open this bottle. But I did because one of my guests mentioned that he liked orange wine. This was the only one I had. And it was an amazing pairing.

1 Like

[*]An unplanned overlap between finishing a glass of 2019 Huet Vouvray Sec Le Haut-Lieu and starting to nibble on a few dried apricots yielded a surprisingly delicious pairing. The shy fruit in the Vouvray came out to play.

1 Like

Champagne and corn nuts! Try it.

1 Like

We had a brilliant bottle of the 67 last Saturday, and that certainly had some essence of apricots in the bottle.

1 Like

I haven’t yet, but I will. Salty snacks like potato chips and a glass or two of Champagne are my pre-dinner snack most nights we are home.

2 Likes

Sitting here, watching Court TV and the cross-examination of a real POS . . .

A simple salami sandwich (grocery store bread, salami, and mustard). Sipping at my last glass of a 2019 Chateau Fontenil Bordeaux that I opened a few days ago. The wine was fading by itself, but it perked up and showed a nice herbal balanced side with the sandwich. A pleasant surprise to me. BTW, the 2019 Fontenil is a very enjoyable inexpensive Bordeaux IMO.

I’ve found that Champagne pairs remarkably well with weekdays.

4 Likes

My present levels of imagination, laziness, and lifelong lack of restraint intersect to keep providing material to post to this thread.
Finishing my last glass of 2018 Rocca del Macie Chianti Classico Riserva on pizza night. After all the pizza was gone, my wife brought out a small plate of homemade brownies. I still had a large sip of the Chianti in my glass, so I took a bite of a brownie and chased with the wine. Awesome!

Franks red hot sauce and Sauternes. Not totally left field but something magical happens.

Note: I didn’t come up with this. Credit to the somm team at Bazaar meats in Vegas. It was a carpaccio dish that featured a bit of Franks.

1 Like

2020 Thivin CdB with dried sweet dates.
Fruit and acid leaning almost too bright transforms to dark fruited smoothness.

1 Like

Friday after work for the win.