Accidental Wine Pairing Successes?

Blueberry pie and Cabernet Franc. I was sipping a half glass of a dry cab franc left from my pizza dinner when my wife brought out the homemade blueberry pie for dessert. I couldn’t wait and figured the wine was headed for the drain. But I took a sip and was was stunned how good it tasted, developing a lively fruit profile.

I’ll bet homemade pie is the trick here, probably not overly sweet.

My wife went out to lunch with a friend and brought home “hot & spicy” Pad Thai for my solo dinner. I heated it up and poured a glass of leftover Moscato d’Asti from the fridge. Tasty pairing, especially so with the sweet and spicy peanut sauce.

Hermitage blanc and pesto. 1996 Chave, consumed in 2015. Each enhanced the other.

Cheers,
Doug

1 Like

Note to self…this is a must try

A couple of years ago, a 2009 Rebholz Ganz Horn GG went quite well with a rib eye steak.

Chicken tandori and CA viognier. Easy on the cayenne pepper though.

Rogan Josh at Utsav in Manhattan with a Saxum James Berry. It was an accident. I was bringing it home from my office and my guest wanted to try it. I did not think it would work but something about the lamb and the spice worked perfectly with the Grenache.

1 Like

Champagne & Bulgarian Banitsa

My friend was visiting one New Years and made banitsa (baked layers of phyllo, butter & feta) on NY morning that we thought was great with the champagne we had planned to have for our boozy brunch.

1 Like

I love a German Riesling with a big fat steakhouse style cheeseburger. The acidity cuts through the grease and makes the whole thing more enjoyable. Oddly I only do this for lunch/brunch.

1 Like

I am a big believer in pairing aged Chenin with red meat.

Also done it w/ Alsace, and I like that too, but something about the Chenin just checks all the boxes for me.

Joly Clos de la Bergerie was great w/ tartare.

Grüner Veltliner and a Gyro w/ fries

1 Like

Zinfandel lightly chilled with a tuna fish sandwich made from yellowfin tuna canned in olive oil.

Foreau Demi-Sec and chicken braised in mustard sauce. Mind blowing…

1 Like

Carne Crudo and Spatlese Riesling. Wouldn’t have believed how well they paired without trying it.

Akin to my Carne Crudo and Spatlese Riesling random pairing magic. The first time was with an 01 Kerpen.

This sounds incredible!

1 Like

1952 Alessandria Barolo and Pad Kra Pao.

You had the carne crudo and spatlese too! But I don’t recall you were as wild about the combo as Royce and I were (but that may have something to do with your general sentiment towards off-dry riesling)…

1 Like

CA viognier with chicken tandori. As long as the heat (cayenne or other pepper) is restrained. I’ve now paired these several times. I think it work because of a flavor bridge between new world viognier and the ginger and maybe the cumin in my tandori recipe.