A Tuesday Robert Parker Night of Rhones Wines and Sushi!

Haha, worst pairing ever.

Well, we did have sticky ribs and fried chicken, too.

The 2005 Domaine Charvin is in a wonderful spot, so aromatic. An array of dried floral and red fruit aromas, red licorice and some earthy notes. Palate was refined, crisp and fresh, carrying out the olfactory sense into the taste. An old world style of Southern Rhone. Really excellent and in a perfect spot. (93 pts.)

Followed with a 2014 Gonon St Joseph. Boy has this wine picked up some weight. And boy has this vintage defied the critics. I have always been a fan, the aromatics on these 2014 Northern Rhones has always been a thing of beauty. One must try the Juge or the Allemand to see how excellent this vintage can be. But now these 14s have added weight and depth and are picking up more secondary and tertiary notes. Black olive paste, rusty iron and a funky gamy perhaps bretty note on the nose. The palate was deep and savory dark fruits and earthy notes, some sweaty saddle leather and grilles meats. Lots of structure still on this wine but resolving quicker than the 2013 or even the 2010. I’d say 3-4 years to hit apogee. Love it. (94 pts.)

Can’t say these wines paired with the sashimi courses, but we had whisky for that. :wink:

3 Likes

Would’ve paired fine if it was 2007 cdp, but only if it were from magnum.

3 Likes

Yeah, no 2007. Wake me when there’s some nice white fish and a 1500 of CDP.