A Pair of OR Stunners: 14 Goodfellow Chardonnay Richards Cuvee & 2017 Cameron Rouge Clos Electric

The stars were in alignment last night…

• 2014 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard’s Cuvee - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (1/15/2024)
    My last bottle of this was drank in 2017, in which I really liked it - thought that there was potential, but the evolution over the last 7 years was a quantum leap forward. Absolutely on point from the very first sip, you just new this was going be special. A perfect synergy of both energy and grace; this delivers the mail with such an attractive core of ever so slightly sweetened minerals and rocks, almost flirts with being a Riesling, but the flint and richness of some very discreet wood leave little doubt this is indeed a Chardonnay. And an exquisite one at that. Perhaps a top 5 OR Chard for me. (95 points)

2017 Cameron Rouge Clos Electrique - USA, Oregon (1/15/2024)
Decanted 4 hrs, and yes cue up the JB or the Sly, cause this was Funk City when I poured it in the decanter. Within 20 minutes it was gone and what followed 4 hrs later was very memorable. Please take this with a grain of salt, as my Burg experience pales compared to many, but this to me came across as a dead ringer for Vosne. Specifically, it had the Christmas Tree spice that I have often found on what few VR’s I’ve had the pleasure to enjoy, that gave it this majestic, regal quality and that’s exactly how this gem came across to my wine brain last night. I really believe this would cause havoc in a blind tasting with its French cousins. If this vintage is typical for a strong Clos Electric Rouge, then my lack of purchasing these is borderline criminal. That ends now. (94 points)

3 Likes

Good stuff, Dale. Really interested in your take on a now 9+ year old OR Chardonnay. I thought Marcus’ 2014 WR and Durant were excellent with the Durant having a slight edge, but drank my last bottles at 7+ years although thought they both could hold at that level for at least another 1-2 years. As I find any signs of tiring whites - whether it be honeyed or oxidative notes - really unpleasant I’m slowly testing holding a few OR Chardonnays longer to see when the tipping point between graceful aging and holding on too long occurs. Have a few of Marcus’ 2015s on tap for later this year and will hold some Walter Scott and Morgen Longs from 2016 - 2018 back to see if 7-10 years of cellaring is worth it (for me).

As for Cameron Pinot, Clos Electrique always delivers and is a top 3 OR Pinot in my house.

1 Like

Good to hear on the 17 Clos E. I tried one early and it was shut down hard. I love Cameron appellation bottles so looking forward to trying this again. The 21 is still available at Sec Wines and Avalon. My first purchase of the year :smirk:

1 Like

Wow. The Postal Service employee who inspired this description must really be something special.

1 Like

Thank you Scott - the Goodfellow was fresh as a daisy with zero signs of advancement or teetering towards a downward slope - I normally like you, prefer My OR chards from birth up to around 10 years with 4 to 7 as sort of the sweet spot - but this 14 has another 5 years plus, no question.

1 Like

I think the switch to Diam closures and other winemaking decisions has extended the life span of the top level OR Chardonnays from what (for my palate) I thought was possible just a few years ago.

1 Like

Two of my favorite wines from Oregon. Your post will be my muse for opening more of these in the coming weeks.

I haven’t had the Richard’s Cuvee with as much bottle age as your note. The longest I’ve gone is ~7 years with the 2013 and 2015, but both were excellent at the time of consumption.

Clos Electrique is a wine that just pops for me, distinctive and memorable in a sea of dullness.

1 Like

Great point Scott about the Diam cork - I meant to include that in my note but it got lost in trying to articulate my giddiness for the wine to pen and paper.

1 Like

PSA - Vinopolis in in PDX has some .375’s of the 14 Goodfellow Richard’s Cuvée for $26 and change - I grabbed three more. There were still some left as I left the store today. No brainer.