A large pan gamechanger

17% bigger diameter = 36% bigger area.

Dan Kravitz

just bought my wife the large Stargrazer - it’s a lighter weight cast iron with great reviews. Has a couple month wait list though

Yep, I’ve been using AllClad sautĂ© pans (original MC and LTD) in 3 and 6 qt sizes for over 30 years. The thick aluminum in these older AC pans does a good job of conducting heat to the periphery of the pan. They are true kitchen workhorses.

Well, this post just cost me some money.

1 Like

Ohhh, c’mon! Who needs arm hair, anyways?!? And who doesn’t like leaving a couple layers of fingerskin behind on the loops?!? [wow.gif]

1 Like

The Le Creuset Silicone Pot Grips work very well for loops.

Costco sale goes until 12/5. Decisions decisions

I actually like the no handle aspect - fits in the cabinets easier, and in the oven easier. Plus I’m pretty unlikely to grab one of the small handles unknowingly, not so true with a long handle when you take it out of the oven. Can certainly understand why someone would want a long handle though.

Back when I was a young whippersnapper on a cooking line you learned two rules very fast and painfully:

1. Assume all pan handles are scorching hot.
  2. A dropping knife doesn’t have a handle.

A few months back I forgot rule 1 and grabbed a carbon steel pan that was used for a frittata. I ended up with a “1 wide blister across my entire palm and a matching one on my fingers. my hand was wrapped in a cool ice pack the rest of the night too

You’re fired!

Oh, wait, you do not work for me.

I have a 15" Lodge cast iron (handle on one side, loop on the other) it is a beast, great for searing steaks for a large gathering
 my big burner heats it fine. SOB is heavy.
About 10 odd years ago the first night of Hanukkah coincided with Thanksgiving, I was on the subway with it heading to my dinner
 latkes were the appetizer
 anyway, started a few good conversations.
(Manhattan is funny on Thanksgiving, esp my hood
 from early AM the parade watchers invade and then quiet descends at about noon
 then at 2PM
 the bell goes off and everyone pops out of their apartments carrying a casserole)

I’m a big fan of Stargazer cast iron, though I’d note that “lighter” is relative and it isn’t exactly light. Still, very good and at a much better price than some of the competitors.

Got the pan. It’s great. The non-stick surface works really well, and I like the sloped shoulders relative to the high shoulder cast iron. Over gas, it goes not heat quite as evenly as cast iron, especially the sides.

We bought one too. The only thing that matters is that my wife loves it.

Anyone recommend a good cast iron that has a smooth surface? I’m thinking about just going carbon steel instead

Love Hexclad. Have 3 and always go to them first.

Just ordered their large wok with lid. I can retire maybe my “stone” pan now.

Hexclad has a deep sauté pan too that looks really cool.

We got one of our large pans out today, as we’re making choucroute garnie for next weekend. Not what this thread is about but the fact this thread appeared again today made me want to post.
20220319_103232.jpg

My God, Sarah, how many are you feeding with that pan?

1 Like