A free interactive map of every Italian wine appellation (536 DOCG/DOC/IGT zones)

Hi all,

I’ve just launched something I’ve been working on for a long time and wanted to share it with this group: the Italian Wine Map, a free interactive atlas of Italian wine.

What’s on it

  • 536 appellation zones: every DOCG, DOC and IGT, drawn over satellite imagery
    • 3D view, so you can see how the zones sit on the hills, valleys and volcanic slopes
    • 119 crus: for now the vineyard polygons are Piedmont only, with more regions to come
    • 6,494 towns, so you can find where a producer actually is
      Where the boundaries come from

The zones are drawn from official sources: regional open data, ISTAT boundaries and, where the disciplinare allows, Agenzia delle Entrate cadastral sheets. I’m also working with several consorzi (Etna, Friuli, Barbaresco) to bring in their official mapping, so the detail will keep growing. Etna already has 33 of Castiglione di Sicilia’s contrade.

Why I made it

Italy has more appellations than anywhere else, and most maps either stop at the region or cover only the famous zones. I wanted one place where you can zoom from the whole country down to a single cru and see how it relates to its neighbors.

The map lives alongside my appellation, grape, producer and cru guides and my Italian wine reviews on the same site.

Feedback welcome

If you spot a boundary that looks wrong, a missing zone, or a cru you’d like to see added, please tell me here or at info@oraziocampoli.com. Corrections are very welcome.

Full disclosure: I’m ITB (Italian wine buyer at K&L Wine Merchants). This is my personal project: no ads and nothing for sale.

Salute,
Orazio

34 Likes

Very cool, great work! I’ve been playing around with the Piedmont map. I assume it would be very difficult to break crus down by producer and/or varietal? The only other thing I could think of would be to layer information from Google maps or the like that would show street names, major landmarks, etc. That would make it a more travel oriented map but helpful nonetheless.

That’s awesome! Quite a project!

Wow, terrific job! Bookmarking this.

What a really cool interactive map!! Thank you!

That’s brilliant, bravo :clap:

Orazio, welcome to WB! This is masterclass :wine_glass: Cheers !

This is amazing! Great effort and very intuitive!

Now if only the likes of wine publishers took notes and expanded the concept to other regions…

Very cool. Terrific work. Thanks very much.

Very well done. Was there any specific criteria to determine Benchmark producers?

Bravo, Orazio.