A few recent TNs (F. Cotat, Tercero, Pierre Cotton)

• 2016 Domaine François Cotat Sancerre Les Monts Damnés - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (8/8/2021)
    Seems to be in a bit of a slumber at the moment. Needed about 3 hour to even begin poking out of its shell. Initially, really reticent on the nose. Some minerals and a hint of papaya on the nose. On the palate, it’s broad, chalky and filled with lemon, pomelo, fresh basil and tomato leaf alongside a long bitter finish. With time the wine’s texture started to show itself. Loads of crushed rocks, white pepper, and sea spray that linger on the finish.

Unfortunately most of the wine’s elements were hidden in the back end, with not much to show on the attack and mid-palate, leaving it not quite a complete wine. Continued to taste over a 4h period after the initial decant. But it never gained the depth that I enjoy on great Sancerre. Reading over the note it sounds as though I didn’t enjoy the wine, it’s not the case at all, it was an incredibly lovely and enjoyable wine, but it wasn’t drinking quite as well as great Sancerres usually do. I think it’s in part shut down and in part the wine itself, as it lacked a bit of the higher acid and complexity that many Cotats are known for. Will revisit in a few years.

ABV: 13%
Closure: natural cork, wax capsule (incredibly brittle, lots of wax chips all over the counter)
Decant: 4h
Stem: Gabriel Glas StandArt

• 2013 Tercero Petite Sirah - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (8/8/2021)
    Big and tight on first opening, earthy, herbal, and black fruited. Popped in the decanter ahead of dinner. Some ripe blueberries, boysenberry and plums. Baking spices, leather and liquorice. Slightly powdery medium (+) tannins, with an incredibly amount of acid that give it plenty of verve. I think Larry put it best in the back label of the wine: “certainly approachable now. That said, its best days probably lay ahead.”

ABV: 14.5%
Closure: Stelvin
Decant: 4h
Assemblage: 100% PS from La Pressa Vineyard. Destemmed and aged 34 months in older French oak. 3 barrels produced

• 2019 Pierre Cotton Brouilly Les Mines - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Brouilly (8/8/2021)
    Bright red brambly raspberries, and cherries with floral elements rounding it out. On the palate the fruit profile leaned a bit darker, but filled with incredibly high acid that gives this wine tons of texture and lift. At times a bit jagged, and some of the ABV does poke through every now and then, but the fruit and acid balanced it out nicely. Just a sheer joy to drink at the end of the night. What a lovely high toned wine this was. Wish I given this the more attention it clearly deserved. Thankfully two bottles left, but I likely should track a few more down.

ABV: 14.1%
Closure: natural cork, wax capsule (soft and pliable)
Decant: 30min
Assemblage: Typically, the domaine only produces one wine from Brouilly: 100% Cotton, a blend of two parcels (‘Les Mines’ and ‘Bonnège’). In 2020, Pierre and Marine decided to make two separate cuvées because this is the last year that they will be able to harvest grapes from the Bonnège parcel, which their family has been leasing for two generations (it was recently sold and reclaimed by the new owner). 100% Gamay from Les Mines. Vines are 65 years old planted in pink granite. Wine is fermented semi-carbonic in concrete tanks with no added Sulfur. Aged 8 months in used foudres before bottling unfiltered. 500 cases produced.

I love F. Cotat wines especially after 10 yrs of vintage.