A few excellent Romanian wines and a big A+ for Wine Check

Came back from Romania yesterday with a case of wines. All the wines got off the plane in excellent condition. So a big Thank You to our own Todd for his Wine Check bag, worked like a charm.

The wines that I mention in this thread are the ones that are fantastic QPR, wines that are about $20 including VAT. All are Cabernet or Cabernet type blends, and in my opinion would easily compete with$70-$100 wines from Napa. They all have beautiful dark fruit and medium tannins that are not harsh, but give the wines a backbone.

Here are the wines:
Gitana Winery (from Moldova) a wine called Lupi (wolves) which is a blend of Cabernet, Merlot, and Saperavi.
Crama Oprisor (from Dealu Mare) Cabernet
Domeniile Urlati (from Dealu Mare) wine called Incantation a blend of Feteasca Neagra, Merlot, Cabernet.

I did taste quite a few wines, white and red, but the ones mentioned above, are the ones that just impressed me the most.

And those are very expensive wines in Romania. While the price tag of $20 for us makes them inexpensive, for them is the equivalent of a $100 wine. Also small production and available only from very good wine shops.

And the London-San Diego flight was brutal, with a 2.5 hr delay and then a 1.5 hr delay on the tarmac.

Interesting. I had some Moldovan wines with the same varieties. The Feteasca Neagra was perhaps the most interesting to me. I kept getting a really, really strong liquorice taste from the 2 I’ve tried.

Eric, another Moldovan wine that I thought was fantastic is the 2011 Negru (black) de Purcari. But I had my bag full already. That one retailed for about $30.