A classification, vintages and impressions of Loire reds

IIRC, price was the factor in the 1855 classification. Sort of full force (neo?) classical economics: all the information was out there so the price reflected the quality.

But, this was in the opposite direction of what you suggested.

For reds, maybe, but if this included whites I would raise them to 1st or 2nd.

1 Like

Markus - Re Guiberteau - yes, this is just a chat about reds. We could start one about whites?

Howard - you’re absolutely right that Pinot Noir wines are not included, like other reds. Frankly, I know nothing about any top-notch PNs from the Loire. Which ones would be worth putting in?

Other red wines of interest that are at or above the quality level of pinot noir from Sancerre:
Côt (malbec) and gamay from the Touraine.
Pineau d’aunis from the Coteaux du Loir.
Emerging Nantais reds.
Gamay from the Côte Roannaise.

That being said, with a couple of exceptions, the best red wines come from Saumur, Chinon and Bourgeuil, IMO+E.

I’ve been on a white Loire binge for the last two years. I agree that Guiberteau whites are really good.

Since I first mentioned Sanzay in the thread, I’ll give my perspective. Admittedly, I haven’t tried all of the producers mentioned in this thread, nor is my sampling of Sanzay’s wines particularly broad (a few different vintages and cuvees), but every single wine I’ve had from him shows mastery of the varietal. The fruit is incredibly pure and bright with a perfect balance of acidity and just enough pyrazine to let you know is Cab Franc without being overbearing. The base Saumur Champigny is raised in concrete, so no oak influence at all. This is a small, organically farmed domain, but I really like the style of the wines.

Julian -

I’m a fan of Amirault. Solid wines, excellent QPR. Like Filliatrau maybe a smidge better.

I was just poking around for more info on Sanzay and came across this (marketing) post by Ian Cauble. Yes, he’s trying to sell the wines to his subscribers, but I think the information and description of the wines is spot on; SommSelect - Exceptional wine from around the world, delivered to your door

I just assumed, based on their room prices, that a bottle of Rougeard was the little “welcome gift” you find in the room when you check in :wink:

I can think of no other region where one producer (Rougeard) stands so far above all the others. Damn Yankees? Damn Rougeard.

For a long time it was Chave in Hermitage. No one else was close, IMO+E. But yeah, it’s hard to find spots where that is the case. There are a lot of historical reasons for that, but really, no one else really put the effort in that the Foucault family did, so they deserved their lofty reputation. The vine growing is exemplary with old massale selection everywhere and the wine making is among the best I’ve seen. They let the wines take their time in barrel in their cold cellars and that long, gentle elevage gives the wines an extra gear. They also use second pass barrels from Latour as well as their own special barrels for the Bourg. I think that the staves are dried for 5 years.

I don’t have much experience, but it seems to me that the top bottling warrants 2nd (probably) or 3rd rather than 4th. I’d love to hear from people who have more experience with those. Maybe you do and disagree?

[/quote]
I don’t have much experience, but it seems to me that the top bottling warrants 2nd (probably) or 3rd rather than 4th. I’d love to hear from people who have more experience with those. Maybe you do and disagree?
[/quote]

For whites I believe Guiberteau rivals anything from the Loire and is as good as most of my favorite producers out of Burgundy. If I were to compare them to someone it might be Comtes Lafon.

I don’t drink red pinots from the Loire so cannot comment. However, probably the best rose I have ever had was Pinot noir from Cotat.

Yquem?

Yquem is a possibility, though I would say (for my own tastes) that there are a few contenders that come much closer than anything in Loire does to Rougeard (Climens, Rieussec, Fargues, to name a few). I’ll also claim that sweet wines are harder to separate in quality, because everything sweet tastes at least good :slight_smile:

Another one that hasn’t been mentioned yet is Pallus, in Chinon. I would put them maybe as a 4th? Guiberteau and Collier I would both put as 3rd growths. Both of their whites are incredible, too. Finally, Lambert in (Saumur) merits mention. His Breze bottlings would be in the conversation for me.

D’Yquem
Egon Muller(sweet) / Keller (dry)
Petrus
?

Interesting supposition

Do you mean the white or the red? I know the white is supposed to be good, but I’ve also been told that Clos Mazurique, the red Brézé is good too, so I got some recently.

I think you’re right about Guiberteau and Collier - I’m still surprised at the lack of much support for the latter, but perhaps that’s because of limited availability.

Another producer I don’t think has been mentioned yet is La Porte Saint Jean. What does anyone think about that one?

It is. As much as I love Keller, I really don’t think their wines are that much better than those of some other producers (even in the same region: Wittmann). I haven’t had wines from the other producers you mention, but I know from discussion here that a lot of people do not agree about Muller.

I would say Musar is the most obvious. Didier Dagueneau when Didier was making the wines (Pouilly Fume specifically; I think all Loire SB, but I know others disagree). What about Tempier (for reds)? D’Esclans Garrus for Provence Rose, for sure, but the style is different from any other. Emidio Pepe? I can’t think of any others. Maybe this deserves its own thread.