A brosé bronanza with the brochachos part 2: getting broperly wasted

Four years ago I got the genious idea with Otto and Mikko to put together a tasting consisting solely of manly rosés, i.e the kind with dark color, concentration and ideally some tannin too. That event turned out to be wildly successful so it was only a matter of when, not if, the second edition would take place. Well that was last weekend and boy did we have a ton of fun (and wine). Again we also had great food, cheese, Finnish rap and Mortal Kombat 2 on SNES to complement the wines - a winning formula.

CT put my notes in wrong order and I am sure it is quite obvious how my ability to assess the wines got only worse towards the end (the Tavel). The selection was really stellar again with my favorites being the Georges Remy Champagne, 2012 Simone, Buçaco Rosado and Thymiopoulos Xinomavro. In addition to all the ”pink” stuff there was a bonus bottle of Roilette’s 2010 Griffe du Marquis which totally lived up to the expectations. Funny enough when checking my emails yesterday I learned that I had put in an order for a 12-pack or the 2021 vintage while drinking the 2010 on Saturday.

• 2021 Romain Le Bars Tavel - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Tavel (10.7.2023)
    The nose is full of ripe wild strawberry, fruity akin to an Austrian Gelber Muskateller. On the palate this is alcoholic and warm, not a lot of fun to drink.
  • 2013 Thymiopoulos Rosé de Xinomavro (Late Release) - Greece, Macedonia (10.7.2023)
    Holy moly. This nose of rhubarb and cherry is absolutely mindblowing. Incredible brightness and fruitiness. On the palate it is massively juicy with great acidity. Tons of bitter cherry fruit of very attractive kind. Huge drinkability.
  • 1996 Château Simone Palette Rosé - France, Provence, Palette (10.7.2023)
    An oxidative nose of strawberry and nougat. On the palate this still has a nice mouthfeel and a lot of structure. Perhaps a bit tired now, not massively expressive, but a lot of fun still. Lesser than the 2012 but very admirable for its age.
  • 2010 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (10.7.2023)
    A very Burgundy nose of savory red cherry fruit and oak, ever so slightly volatile and dusty. Bright and grand at the same time. On the palate rich and mouth-filling with grippy tannins. There is an airiness to the mouthfeel and it just feels thoroughly harmonious. A beautifully developed Beaujolais with character.
  • 2018 Christian Tschida Birdscape - Austria, Burgenland, Neusiedlersee (10.7.2023)
    A volatile nose of red cherry, strawberry, cucumber and watermelon, super juicy. On the palate likewise massively juicy. Has volume and structure but still manages to stay undoubtedly a rosé. The palate is very much similar to the nose and totally surprises with its freshness and complexity. This is pretty singular but a very good wine nonetheless.
  • NV Georges Remy Champagne Grand Cru Rosé Les Vaudayants - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (10.7.2023)
    100% Pinot Noir from Bouzy. A blend of white 2017 sparkling and 2016 red wine. Disgorged 12/2019, 690 bottles made. A super saline nose of of savory bright red fruits and citrus (blood orange!). Whoa, this is very attractive and vibrant. A rather strong and persistent effervescence. Very red-fruited with high acidity, this has character and energy that stands out. A very firm mouthfeel here, the style is serious and vinous. Along with the fruit there are abundant attractive autolytic notes, very leesy and slightly smoky. I didn’t love Les Quatre Terroirs but I do love this. Amazing ripeness, amazing grip.
  • 2019 Emidio Pepe Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo (10.7.2023)
    A very attractive and impressively complex nose of red cherry, blood, bouillon and reduction. On the palate there is a lot here, as it is full bodied and vinous with a very rich mouthfeel. A bit overwhelming even, to be honest. This is red wine in all but name and probably challenging for some to accept as a rosé. At this stage way primary and a baby, I would bury them in the cellar had I any bottles of my own.
  • 2017 Château Henri Bonnaud Palette Quintessence - France, Provence, Palette (10.7.2023)
    Pale onion peel color. Citrus-driven nose of watermelon, strawberry and grapefruit. On the palate rich and voluminous but with relatively timid flavors. There is weight and warmth here, otherwise this is more what one would expect from a youngish Provencal rosé. Very young and relatively restrained at this moment.
  • 2012 Château Simone Palette Rosé - France, Provence, Palette (10.7.2023)
    Amazing nose of cola and cherry with a saline edge. An iron note as well, definitely. On the palate magnificently harmonious with a cherry-driven profile that is markedly complex. Quite dense and firm with good structure, this is worlds apart from the pale, neutral stuff Provence is better known for. The fruit still comes off as quite ripe but the style is nicely savory. Still very vital, no signs of decline approaching. A top rosé.
  • 2018 Emmanuel Brochet Champagne Rosé de Saignée - France, Champagne (10.7.2023)
    Well there is brett on this nose. The fruit behind is bright and fresh but the overall character is not of that. Some popcorn reduction as well. Strong effervescence. Wonderful acidity on this one, this is one hella lively wine on the palate and evaporates crazy fast. I don’t care about the nose but on the palate this is fire. Great intensity and persistence, it just lingers on on the palate. Paired up nicely with lobster rolls.
  • 2018 Domaine Sylvain Pataille Marsannay Rosé Fleur de Pinot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Marsannay Rosé (10.7.2023)
    A super bright, crisp-fruited nose of red cherry, watermelon, mirabelle, iodine and an amaro hint. On the palate has good volume and really the mouthfeel is markedly nice. The flavor profile is a super harmonious blend of red fruits and a citrusy nuance. Firm and textured with great acidity. The 13.5% ABV shows a bit but overall this is still refreshing and very drinkable. The style here is savory with nice tightness to it. Really good.
  • 2017 Olivier Horiot Rosé des Riceys En Valingrain - France, Champagne, Rosé des Riceys (10.7.2023)
    A great earthy, savory Pinot Noir nose of dark sour cherry fruit with a slight VA and a herbal hint. Quite firm and vinous on the palate. Full of ripe, savory fruit with a bitter, warm edge. Very much red wine, Burgundy-esque for sure, and very gastronomic.
  • 2005 Movia Puro Rose - Slovenia, Primorska, Goriška Brda (10.7.2023)
    Orange color. Very pure and fruity nose of cherry, tangerine and almond. The mousse is quite gentle, palate-caressing. The palate is similar to the nose but with milder fruit flavors and a more pronounced almond note. The balance is impeccable, no dosage yet there are no harsh edges or austerity otherwise. Nice bitterness fits well here. Unusual but quite tasty.
  • 2018 Domaine François Cotat Sancerre Chavignol Rosé - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (10.7.2023)
    Fresh and attractively red-fruited on the nose with some reduction and a hint of iodine. Very pure red cherry, slightly sour. On the palate ripe fruited with a bit confected edge. The 14,5% ABV is very obvious with a warm sensation on the finish. Some tannins but not a ton. Feels like a bit of work right now, this is not an easy terrace sipper. One for the cellar? I do appreciate a wide variety of different rosé styles but as it is this is not a favorite of mine, need to try a cooler vintage.
  • 2017 Alexandre d'Almeida Buçaco Rosado Reservado - Portugal (10.7.2023)
    Saline wood-toned nose of tart red fruits (unripe strawberry, orange rind) astounding seabreeze saltiness. On the palate dry and airy with a white burg-esque oaked and savory profile. Really outstanding intensity and length, finishes bitter and minerally. Awesome style, very little about primary fruitiness.

Posted from CellarTracker

7 Likes

A really interesting group of wines. I appreciate the notes. The Chateau Simon intrigues me.

1 Like

Excellent notes and dig the eclectic lineup. Food also looks good!
Those Pepe ‘roses’ certainly push the limits of the definition of rose. Cheers.

1 Like

Awesome :joy:

2 Likes

My reaction as well. My 3 bottles of this are long gone, drunk without joy. I will not be revisiting.

As for Chateau Simone, I have learned that they need time, rose particularly so. A 2020 open right now lacks depth. And the same goes for a 2020 Pataille Fleur de Pinot. A young Clos Cibonne is winning hands down.

2 Likes

Sorry to read about the Cotat, if it’s a change in style then not for the better, as I used to love these. As Don, intrigued about the Simone—I didn’t even know they made a Rose. Same with Pepe. Great set of notes, Ilkka.

Skal

Mike

1 Like

Indeed but understandable
I still got some 2010 in magnum and each time I serve it my guests are really impressed. Me too even though I’m not really a Gamay lover

3 Likes

I don’t doubt it, I’m sure it’s a great idea and I’m very tempted to place an order after reading everything here about it (in various threads).

Love how awareness of the purchase happened a day after it was ordered :joy: I can visualize how it all went down, must have been quite a night!

1 Like

Sorry to hear it wasn’t just an off bottle. We already had the Simone in the line-up four years ago but it was 2016 and indeed something totally different than an aged example. The Pataille here was well enjoyed by everyone so I guess even a couple of year can make a difference. We wanted to have either Vignettes or Caroline from Cibonne but as a participant only had relatively young bottles we decided to not to waste them here, knowing how well those bottling respond to cellaring.

1 Like

A big fan of Chateau Simone, in all colours. They improve with age but it is hard to resist to drink them sooner. (Well, there is this case of blanc I have been actively ignoring for almost 10 years now.)
And the same goes for Clos Cibonne (and Clos Magdelaine, and so on). Maybe except for Cuvee Marius - I haven‘t figured out this one yet.

Actually how the thing went was pretty much like this:

We’re having 2010 Griffe with food, after drinking about ten-ish bottles of rosés.

Ilkka, browsing his phone: actually this one shop has now 2021 Griffe available. Anyone up for grabs?
Me: Sure, maybe two or three.
Attendee 2: Me too.
Attendee 3: Make it a case of six.
Attendee 4: Same here.
Attendee 5: And here.
Attendee 6: I could go with three.

Ilkka, a wee bit later: Right, it seems they had only twelve bottles in stock. Oh well, I’ll place an order for those.

The whole ordeal took probably three minutes and we might’ve been slightly inebriated at that point. Not blaming Ilkka that he didn’t remember it the next day because I also had an “oh yeah…” moment when he wrote about it. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:rofl: You wouldn’t believe it but that’s more or less it, except the joint order attempt.

1 Like

Just by reading this post, I’m feeling tipsy and may buy some wine online without remembering it until tomorrow.
I’m under the impression that @Otto_Forsberg was downplaying your group’s ability to drink great quantities of wine when he stated:

“…the only reasonable thing to do with a dozen bottles is to have a blind tasting for twelve people!”

Or did he mean that 1 bottle per person is a reasonable amount on a typical Tuesday night?

Cheers!
Mariano

Yeah that’s Otto’s preference, however I strongly dislike tasting great/intriguing wines and only getting a tiny pour of each. We were seven at this tasting which allowed for decent pours.