A boring 2015 Gonon and a very good 2015 Gonon

Consider the grape. Not one that lends itself to greatness.

And I never found it “unappealing.” It is what it is. A simple quaffing wine.

Taken individually, each one of those descriptors sounds horrible. I’m hoping the sum-of-parts is much better, because I’ve got a few riding on your enthusiasm.

I have limited experience with Levet, but I’ve found them clean, so I wouldn’t say feral. But they definitely are somewhat stemmy.

LOL, I bet if you have seen any of my tasting notes before on this wine I have used all of those descriptors! It is a unique wine. I think I have even made it clear in my notes that people will either love it or hate it, it can be a polarizing wine. Ask Alan Rath. I will buy your bottles off you, at a good faith discount to help you at Half price. :slight_smile:.

I think feral is a fantastic descriptor for Levet. I do not think the word feral automatically connotes that a wine is dirty. Wasn’t it Gentaz who once quipped that a classic Cote Rotie should smell like the warm gut of a freshly killed rabbit?

That’s saline to you, bub.

I can see that as a fair description, but to many people “feral” might suggest a lot of funk – reduction, brett, or whatever.

I have used the term iodine instead for this wine. I think it made Johnny cry.

Robert is so bad at descriptors ;p. The Chavaroche is pretty wild. I can also see feral based on what people associate with feral, but it has this unkempt spice and meat to it. Kinda what I imagine a freshly killed deer would smell like or something, without the poop.

Add some poop along with that feral (not Fu’s farm raised, hand-fed, liver-engorged) deer, and me and MarcF swoon . . . .

:wink:

I kid, I kid. This wine is NOT dirty. It is wild.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

So are we saying yes or no to Levet and Brett?

Deer poop?

Worst breakup letter ever.

They are much cleaner now.

Lol, brilliant

Maybe Chambers St. David Lillie was bringing them in direct before Kermit got them and his retail pricing is about the wholesale pricing I get from my Kermit distributor. I’ve never been offered a bottle of the Chasselas but would gladly take it. These are Trollat’s 100+ year old vines and a singular wine.

With all this avowed love for “old school” Northern Rhone wines, I’m surprised at the lack of interest in Eric Texier’s wines. To me, his Côte-Rôtie is certainly as good as Benetiere but gets a fraction of the love. His old vine Brézème is a unique expression of the Northern Rhone being grown primarily on limestone. Anyway, I’m biased as I consider Eric a friend.

The 1999 Old Vine Brezeme was one of my first true ah ha wines. I wish I could find it again. I need to buy his 2015 Cote Rotie still.