A boring 2015 Gonon and a very good 2015 Gonon

I will double-check the invoice when I’m in the office on Monday but I’m pretty sure that was the price.

Nice move, Robert. Receipts for wine are at the office. flirtysmile

Oh, and I fell in and out of love with the Gonon stuff. Just seemed too variable for me.

They are delivered there too, Merrill. :slight_smile:

Of course they are. Delivery to an office rather than a residence just makes so much sense in so many ways. Otherwise, someone might have to stay home, waiting for the wine delivery, and doing the laundry.

Variable?? He’s one of the most consistently good producers around. [wow.gif]

Well, I found it so. I recall discussing some bottles with Miss Kessler (who knows a lot more about Gonon than I do). I loved a bottle, then dumped a bottle. Liked a bottle… a bit…Not enough to keep me in the game.

Have loved the bottles I’ve had but none of them were near ready to drink, and I haven’t bought enough to sample much in the name of Science so at some point I will likely abandon this particular pursuit as prices get ridonkulous

Prices have reached ridonkulous. I just received an offer of $80 for the 2015. I’m out as this is stupid money IMNSHO.

I loved the days of buying Gonon in the $30’s as well but it is a really good wine IMO and there are much worse values in the world of wine than Gonon for $80. I’m surprised it took this long for Gonon prices to go up.

Nice to see a note on the Feray! I have a single bottle of 2012 Feray left and not sure when the right time is to open it.

I’d rather have Benetiere or Levet for the price but good-vintage Gonon for $80 is still a solid buy in my opinion.

Benetiere all day every day for that price point.

Why? What makes it better than Gonon? Or Levet for that matter?

Gonon has always struck me as being a very well balanced but somewhat straightforward and a bit one dimensional wine. I have not had a Levet.

Benetiere’s Cordeloux Cote Rotie = very complex, mineral-laden, heft, dense, complete, appears to have longer shelf life.
Gonon Saint-Joseph = a tad lesser, or simply lesser, in each of Benetiere’s descriptors above.

I despise baseball - was utterly terrible at it - but will use a baseball analogy.

Levet - homer or strikeout. Depends on your strike zone.

Benetiere - Solid triples

Gonons - singles and doubles all day long.

I’d rather swing for the fences, Levet is my choice if only one could be at bat.

Yep.

Levet - wild, feral, gamey, pungent, stemmy.

It is incredible how unappealing that Gonon Chasselas is, especially in the context of the producer.