9th Annual Di Fara's Wine and Pizza dinner in Manhattan on March 1 - Fat Tuesday

I thought last time the pizza was quite a bit better than when dom made them. In fact, I think we skipped a year because I was so disappointed in the pizza. But as you point out, worth attending just for the wine and company.

.best,

Margaret replies… my father is no longer making pizza. Everything will be the same regarding us making the different varieties of pizza. The only change is the event space.

We’re good to go. Dom not making the pizza may encourage another 1 or 2 readers to join in the fun. [whistle.gif]

1 Like

Looks like the seating area is shared with numerous other establishments at Nimbus. Venues rent use their kitchen facilities. Has anyone ever been here?

thanks for checking dan, a google search revealed robertas also cooks out of that kitchen, of course the oven will be different but hopefully they’ll have diFara’s ingredients/toppings/process. Guessing it will be fine. let me talk to patrice, if we go, we may have to pre-game at scarrs :slight_smile:

What time are we starting? It’s kinda confusing not having the current info in the OP Dan.

I’m a little rusty. Thanks for the reminder Brent. [cheers.gif]

The party officially starts at 7:00 (you can arrive early if you like), and ends at 9:00 for all you can eat pizza. We can stay until 10:00, although most people leave after 9:00 ish. Everything is included. Tax. Tip. Soda. Water. Seltzer.

Here’s how it works. They double cut the pizza because everyone is hungry when they arrive. They keep the pies coming all night. When Dom made the pizza, it would take some time between pies. We got lucky when Dom wasn’t making the pies. They came out much faster, and this means you get fuller faster. :smiley: In the early years, we hung out till 9:45. In 2020, I think we cleared out by 9:15.

They’ll make plain pies and Sicilian to get us started. This will be followed by top shelf ingredients such as pepperoni like you’ve never had before. Maybe you like baby tomato and onion? How about a white pizza? Heck, they’ll even make special order pies if you ask. I won’t know what ingredients they’ll have on hand a week from tonight, but you won’t go home hungry. [whistle.gif]

There’s street parking. There’s also metered parking till 7:00. After that, you don’t have to pay. Allow a few minutes to find a spot.

Save your corks, just in case.

Bring stems.

Saving the last 2 seats for jeff davidson. If he can’t make it, I’ll start a wait list.

It will be the dal Forno for me

Dan - would you like me to bring name tags? I have a bunch on hand and was going to try (trains permitting) to be a little early so the Champagne can start getting some air.

I think I know at least half of the attendees if not more but it might help people keep track.

Great idea. Thank you Jay.

I have come to greatly appreciate the name tag for in person events after losing all name recall b/c of zoom calls the last 2 years!

So what you’re saying is… someone bring truffle to shave on top :stuck_out_tongue:

“jk”

Then Skyline it is! I checked the Rhys Vintage Chart and they show D/H for the '07 and a D for the '08 so I will bring that.

Sounds good. It was 8 years ago that the '07 Skyline and Swan went head to head at PDH and the Skyline won by a nose, a head, several horses, and an elephant. We were all pretty sure that the Swan was shut down, hopefully 8 years did it some good. I’ll be sure to double decant and give it some time in the decanter. Maybe it will fare better against the '08.

Jay - then by all means I should bring the '07 to help recreate this famous event- BTW the note on the Rhys Vintage Chart is old - “January 23, 2015: Wonderful today, if still youthful. Continues to improve with many years ahead. Drink/Hold.”

Was PDH the one we did with like 25 bottles of Rhys at the front table?

Gary

That’s the one:

The Rhys vintage charts indicate the Swan has opened up since then:

October 2020: Drinking very well.

January 2015: Very promising and starting to budge. Still firm. Give a plenty of decant time or hold. Hold

February 2013: Very promising. Still Firm. Hold or decant recommended

Just stood up a warrre 1970 and warre’s 77 for Tuesday. Will bring one if not both.

1 Like

flirtysmile

Saturday morning update.

That’s quite a ratio of Berserkers to wine. Glad I’m ubering.

Thanks for putting this together. I expect this to be great fun.

2 Likes