9th Annual Di Fara's Wine and Pizza dinner in Manhattan on March 1 - Fat Tuesday

If you didn’t get the PM, let me know.

Is there still room? Thinking of a0n '07 Rhys Skyline to drink next to Jay’s Swan … or something I-talian

Yes. There’s still room. Paypal info on the way.

Looks like my wife can still make it. This is our first of such dinners, so we are excited!

Should I bring a 3rd bottle? Should I be bringing a decanter? Anyone have thoughts on which of these I should bring?

My collection is still very young, but these were the wines I was considering for a 3rd bottle. I have only tried the recioto.

2007 Cosimo Taurino Patriglione
2013 Dal Forno Romano Valpolicella Superiore Monte Lodoletta
2015 Tommaso Bussola Recioto della Valpolicella Classico (500ml)
2016 Biondi-Santi Rosso di Montalcino

There is also 2004 Col D’Orcia Poggio al Vento Brunello di Montalcino Riserva. I dont think it is in a great place right now though. Sort of dumbish phase. Very drinkable, but not quite the vibrance of youth, while not quite yet the complexity of an aged Brunello.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Previous Di Fara’s Pizza dinners.

you can get an idea for the wines.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/search.php?keywords=di+fara&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

1 Like

I just found something fun at Chambers.
Vignalta 1998 Colli Euganei Gemola (Cab Franc, Merlot)
I will have other fun things too, as usual. Game time decisions.

1 Like

Bring what you want. Don’t overthink it. It’s only pizza.

3 Likes

Bring stems ( normally bring tasting glasses versus full size glasses to these events so I can drink less of each wine but try more wines). If wine(s) you bring require decanting I would do it before hand and then bottle it and bring it ( i.e. I will open and filter my port many hours before the dinner , bottle it right before I head out to dinner.) Not sure abut NYC location but in Brooklyn table space was at a premium. Advantage of decanting earlier is you can taste and make sure bottle is good thus avoiding bringing a tainted bottle to the event. Bring what you know/like to avoid unpleasant surprises.

1 Like

Payment sent.

I’ll be double decanting my reds (but not the Champagne). I agree with not stressing too much about what you bring. My criteria was simply things I wanted to open that wouldn’t be a terrible pizza match.

1 Like

Friday afternoon update. Post 54 has an updated wine list.

… but I can’t help it … was thinking of a '07 Skyline to put next to your Swan …

I certainly wouldn’t say no. Personally I like Skyline more than Swan :slight_smile:

1 Like

I plan on bringing 2006 Billecart-Salmon Magnum and maybe 1998 Whistler Gewurztraminer Ice Wine if people are into it.

1 Like

Sunday morning update for payment and additional wines posted. We’re at 17 so far.

Everyone has paid.

Some of us know each other. Some don’t. Since we’re a friendly group, please introduce yourself to everyone when you arrive.

Everyone is urged to get up, or ask others to pass any of the wines that you want to taste. Once your bottle is on the table, it’s in play. [wink.gif]

So far, there are 17 Berserkers coming to Di Fara’s. We’ll have approximately 22 ish bottles of wine.

Kalin Cellars 1995 Chardonnay Cuvee’ W and a BD wine.

2 Likes

1999 Clerico Barolo Perchristina and a Falkenstein kabinett Riesling

Lots of nice Italian wines.

Need some California Cabernet represented.

Here is my BD wine (I found it) - MATCH Vineyards Napa Valley 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon Butterdragon Hill Vineyard.

Hey Dan,

interested, loved the two in midwood, I’m a pizza obsessive (a term best fleshed out over a glass of wine), checking reviews for the LES location, people complain of reheated, frozen pizza originally intended for goldbelly. If I recall, dom didn’t make the pizza last time but it was very good, do you have a sense if they are sending someone to make fresh pizza or simply reheating pies?

If you like, I can reach out to my pizza network to see what’s happening there currently.

best,

This certainly got my attention. I can’t imagine them reheating pies for us. They’ve always made pies that she suggested, and or pies that were requested. I just texted her to find out. I’ll respond when I hear back.

By the way, the past several offlines, Dom did not make the pies. Many were in agreement that they came out faster, and they weren’t burnt around the ends. [winner.gif]

dh