6 of the best

Kent Comley was in town so we thought we’d have a cheeky little early Birthday gathering for Heidi.

2013 Pierre Péters Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Speciale Blanc de Blancs Les Chetillons: Intense lemon fruit with some green apple and grilled nuts too. It is super-fine and compact, with loads of chalk and great cut to the finish.

2014 Jean-Claude Ramonet Bâtard-Montrachet, Grand Cru: This was ready to play. An ebullient nose of lightly tropical fruits, custard apple, butter and blossom. The palate is rich, creamy and layered, with fabulous power and terrific underlying minerality. It is all here yet there is a level of perfect containment. The finish simply drives on and on. This was a lot more open than the 2014 Ruchottes we had a couple of weeks ago.

1970 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux, Grand Cru: A really good bottle. Extracted the cork out in one piece. It had plenty of Hoisin and soy along with smoked meats on the nose. The palate had sweet vinous notes and lots of savoury nuance. It was silky with all structural elements tucked neatly away. It wasn’t particularly deep or long, but immensely satisfying.

2001 Domaine G. Roumier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Cras: It has been a big week on the ‘01’s for me, and this was a splendid bottle. Quite tight at first but unfurling magnificently in the glass. It had notes of rose petal and black earth and intensified with black cherry flavour at its core. There was a cool stoniness in the back ground and fabulous chewy structure. There was a touch of bitter fruit to the back-end, just like the Bonnes Mares a few days ago. This is a joy to drink now but I reckon a decade away from its eventual apogee.

2010 Giuseppe Rinaldi Barolo Tre Tine: A calm, even and savoury nose has a little balsamic lift from a hint of V.A. There are classic Barolo decaying rose notes and the palate is deep and glossy. It has so much engaging savoury nuance and each sip unlocks more delicious flavour. It is rich and powerful but light on its feet and possesses superb length. An absolute ripper.

2016 Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard: Deep dark and penetrating, with perfectly ripe fruit and beautiful balance. There’s a hint of menthol and some black olive too. With air you get the scent of violets. It is youthful and compact, with so much more to give.

1 Like

6 of the best brings back memories…
I still hold the record for being caned the most in one day at the boarding school I attended (24 strokes).

You sound very naughty, Marcus.

I prefer “free spirted and independent thinker” but I will accept naughty is fairly accurate.

What a night! Heidi’s Cassoulet was the bomb.
The DRC was really singing and just so alive and integrated and a point! What a treat.
Roumier so expressive and powerful, Ramonet so composed and muscular. Allemand’s continue to set higher benchmarks for the appellation.
It is so good to have six wines that all perform at such a hight level. Can’t say that it always happens.

I’ll say. Thank you for the vicarious thrills Jeremy! Great notes.

I have two children that fit this descriptor and at boarding school. No more “6 of the best” but “suspension” has been prescribed. So unlike their father :slight_smile:

If the Roumier 2001 seem ready, I’ll soon be ready to open a few bottles of 2007, 8,++ Roumier. Good news! … although not the apogee…

07 a rather forward vintage in my experience generally, although no Roumier experience. I would certainly broach that before the sterner 08. Although I have always thought 08 bears more than a passing resemblance to 01