$5000 Screagle Sauv Blanc?!

Isn’t it just mind blowing - and is SB? I have some '04 Grange in the cellar but it has not increased much in value.

Been watching this thread from the sidelines and I don’t understand the issue. Is it because Screaming Eagle is overpriced? Or that Sauvignon Blanc doesn’t warrant such prices? I mean from my seat, no wine warrant that price but that isn’t the point, as I’m not buying. It just seems that this board seems to view Sauvignon Blanc as less serious wine. Or am I mis-reading the room?

We’re used to cult cabs and Burgundies going for silly prices, but it’s hard to think of a sauvignon blanc that sells for more than $30, or maybe $50.

IMHO it’s the Screaming Eagle name plus the rarity of the bottling. Like a Hermes Birkin Crocodile, or a Patek Tiffany Blue Nautilus.

It’s like if Lamborghini released a minivan with 150hp and priced it at $1 million.

3 Likes

I really thought it was a typo when I started the thread & thought peeps might get a laugh.
Sure, I was surprised to learn that wasn’t the case but I’m not chuffed in the least that that is the secondary market for their SB. Some item always has to be the most rare and expensive. Hats off to Screagle that they’re the current title holder.

Wine Searcher, 2015

1. We don’t know why the Sauvignon Blanc is so expensive.

I’ve had Screaming Eagle Cabernet; it’s good. I haven’t had the Sauvignon Blanc because at $3900 a bottle on Wine-Searcher, it’s crazy expensive. It was allegedly supposed to be a small treat for certain mailing-list customers and restaurants, and now it fetches more than the Cabernet. In the macro sense, we know why it’s so expensive: scarcity, which is no longer an issue with the Cabernet, as you can order that and have it by next Friday (see point 1). But here’s Parker on the Sauvignon Blanc: “There’s nothing terribly special about it, and I can think of a dozen or so Sauvignon Blancs made in nearby vineyards that are richer, more complex, and just better wines at much lower price points.” Why the hell do people pay $3900 for Screaming Eagle Sauvignon Blanc?

To bad we didn’t load up on the 98 when we thought the price was too high then. Now that is probably worth something.

98 grange is 450.

Wasn’t that on release though. Where is it $450? This is why some of the new releases of wines like this make no sense when you can get a stellar vintage for that.

Wine searcher

All wine auctions at Zachy’s. They have bottles for $320 and $400. Wonder what the difference between them is. Prices at non auction houses are higher.

1 Like

Who knows. Anyways for a lot of producers back vintages are better deals.

The Wine Market Journal auction value reported on CT is $511, which appears to be in line with current listed auction estimates.

If its ever on LastBottle for 12 bucks, I may grab a few.

Private message me right away if it is and I will give you $50 extra per bottle that you buy! champagne.gif

Interestingly last night my friend was at a Screagle tasting and had some of the SB.

Surprised to see a bottle of the 2010(first vintage and only 300 total bottles) go for $2950 on Winebid last week. There weren’t many trackers on it, probably because it showed up a couple days after the auction started. Now there is another bottle offered, and it looks like there might be a bidding war gunna happen! And no…it’s not my bottle.

Tasting notes on that one?

Keep us updated. Nothing like bidding on a wine that is not that much better than the Spottswood S.B. I bought for $30.