4x retail blues, perusing this winelist

GLASS LIST!

Lots of interesting stuff, not insane pricing, get to try a bunch of different stuff (an obsession of mine):
For the price of an average bottle on this insane list, how about one glass each of:
Billecart-Salmon and/or Albrecht Alsace Rose
Lageder Pinot Grigio and/or Sancerre
Chitry and/or Grgich Chardonnay
Brun Beaujolais and/or Lioco Pinot
Saint Cosme Syrah
Peju Cab and/or Cantemerle

Dan Kravitz

3 Likes

The Brundlmayer Riesling Lyra is exceptional, in an outstanding vintage, and actually reasonably priced on a resto list.

Not much with bottle age under $500, but:
2005 Lagrange $315
2006 Beaucastel $250
2014 Vocal PN SCM $120 (don’t know it, but would happily try it)
2008 Montelena Cab $395
2009 Langoa-Barton $290

Why not go to a food truck instead?

Dan Kravitz

When we were there, I think we went Bojo and Chinon - don’t remember specific producers but not crazy pricing because neither were ‘heavy hitters’…

Haven’t had it in years…but I’d be all over the Leeuwin Art Riesling at $57!!!

Lots of good options here:

• Pewsey Vale Contours Riesling 2011 $85
  • Chateau Musar White 2007 $120
  • Olga Raffault Chinon 2016 $90
  • Ar.Pe.Pe Valtellina Superiore 2015 $130

I would go with the Musar Blanc. It should pair wonderfully with a wide variety of seafood, and at $120 it is only two times retail. Quite frankly, in the Hawaiian market, the markup on that is probably no more than 1.5x.

Also a good option if habit drives us towards a full bottle, but in reality a glass is fine, or we’re wanting to match to diverse food

You should be able to find a nice assortment of Marc Morey whites in Honolulu… fairly priced at the supermarket there! Thanks to board member William gladstones import business in Hawaii of course

Roederer 242 and the Domaine Huet and call it a day. Two very good wines for a total under your budget. No reason to explode the wallet on crazy markups when these are priced decently, and pair wonderfully with food.

I think Brian is in Maui.

1 Like

If you’re willing to go California style and take a step down in pricing/prestige:

0553 2017 Radio-Coteau Chardonnay SeaBed $165

Nice wine - only a little over 2x retail and has some bottle age.

Oops. Wailea Wine also has a small but pretty interesting selection. Found quite a lot to like there

Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Musar white is a great choice. 07 should be drinking well now. Just don’t drink it too cold, let it warm to 55-60.

Huet Le Mont Sec 09 for $117 is a good choice if you want something less exotic than Musar. Retails for $45 or so I think.

Arnot Roberts Watson Ranch chardonnay 2020 for $115 would be good if you like AFWE chardonnay.

There are solid options for gruner veltliner, chablis, Italian whites, and various things.

I wouldn’t call Watson AFWE, Trout Gulch yes but Watson? I’ll take acid over butter in my Chard any day though.

2 Likes

12% alcohol and with these kind of notes: 2020 Arnot-Roberts Chardonnay Watson Ranch, USA, California, Napa Valley - CellarTracker!

Potato potahto

My experience is skewed a bit since it’s been 10 years since my last taste.

• 2012 Arnot-Roberts Chardonnay Watson Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/3/2013)
    From pick-up day.
    Nose of white flowers and vanilla cream soda. Creamy palate of honeysuckle, crushed rock mild acidity and a slightly oily texture. White flowers on the finish. Neutral oak, Duncan said the vanilla is site specific and not oak driven.
  • 2010 Arnot-Roberts Chardonnay Watson Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/9/2011)
    Tasted at the Arnot-Roberts pick-up party. This limestone vineyard chard was the opposite of the rocky volcanic Matthiasson. Dark golden color. Big fruit driven nose and palate. Green apple, pear and a hint of peach. Nice texture and structure. Full mouthfeel with balancing acidity, minerality and juicy richness. Stainless steel fermentation and neutral French oak. Another very nice effort. (92 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

surprised no mention of the Aubert chard. That would be a strong candidate in my book

1 Like

Very important point re: serving temp. of the Musar, if you go that way.

4 Likes