4 dinner wines tasted blind: '12 Henriot, '13 PYCM Les Perrieres, '09 Gros Clos Vougeot, '05 Dupont Tisserandot Lavaux St. Jacques

Our Monday night dinner group enjoyed another fine evening at Ca Dario Montecito with a blind wine theme of a champagne, a white and 2 red Burgundy. Here’s some notes:

2012 CHAMPAGNE HENRIOT MILLESIME- blind; 54% Chardonnay, 46%?Pinot Noir disgorged at about 5 gpl dosage; following its mid yellow color came aromas of nice citrus fruit with lemon and lime most prevalent and strongly suggestive of having bright acidity; the taste profile also included a hit of saline, chalk and yellow apple with a touch of honey and confirmation of the nice acidity; the mouthfeel added elegance with its frothy light mousse and its hallmark was probably its ideal balance throughout.

thumbnail_IMG_9571

2013 PIERRE-YVES COLIN-MOREY LES PERRIERES SAINT AUBIN 1er Cru- blind and from a different bottle to avoid seeing the white wax capsule on the original; decanted 3 hours; the nose was pretty telltale for PYCM with the requisite petrol, flint and mineral notes, but the taste profile was way different from what was expected as this wine kept changing in the glass over and over; it finally landed on some stellar notes of honeyed apple and citrus fruit with lemon and orange most prevalent; it had bracing acidity and a bit of weight in the mouthfeel before finishing sort of flat; I’ve had this wonderful release a few times over the years and this bottle was good albeit atypical and I did not recognize it thinking it might be a Latour Corton Charlemagne from around the 2015 vintage.

thumbnail_IMG_9575

2009 GROS FRERE et SEUR CLOS VOUGEOT MUSIGNI GRAND CRU- my bring poured blind with one other red Burg; decanted 2 hours; the fruit is sourced from a plot of the Clos named Musigni that was planted in 1989 and located just across the road from Musigny; it had a medium dark red purple color; the nose offered intense red raspberry and blackberry fruit with a touch of spice; when initially tasted there was a wild, briary accent to the fruit and I remembered there were similar notes in a 2012 of this release drank last year; even with a 2 hour decant, it took more than 30 minutes for it to really open up still having that wild, briary accent, being more red and dark fruit forward and now finishing a bit dry.

2005 DOMAINE DUPONT TISSERANDOT LAVAUX SAINT JACQUES 1er Cru- blind; dark red purple color; it had aromas of spicy red raspberry which continued on to be joined by hints of sandalwood, cedar, vanilla and milk chocolate accented black currant with a bit of a wild character and a hallmark of elegance; it had a soft and smooth texture and finished nicely with everything coming together; I liked this over the wine before it and then learned I’m preferring a Premier Cru over a Grand Cru, not too unusual.

thumbnail_IMG_9579

We had another fun and educational evening with 4 fine wines and 4 smily faces.

Cheers,
Blake

1 Like

That 13 pycm st aubin Perrieres (and ebaupins) are some of my favorite pycm wines.

Mine too and they are showing so beautifully now.

1 Like

A 2nd taste of the Gros Clos Vougeot:

2009 GROS FRERE et SEUR CLOS VOUGEOT MUSIGNI GRAND CRU- decanted 2 hours, opened and poured 2 nights earlier, vacuum pumped and stored in the frig for 2 days; I was disappointed in how this showed the first time through, but it changed so much for the better and was really good on this night; it was soft and easy on the palate and still showing similar but more delightful notes of red raspberry and blackberry fruit with a touch of spice and now a hint of talc and cedar and not nearly as much wild, briary accents as before.