$300 Chinese Wine Arrives In America

Fortune cookies are American.

Why? Because the wine is from a new area not familiar to you? Having actually tasted the wine, it is very good wine. Personally, I find the wine a bit pricey, the older I get, the less I want to spend per bottle. Price aside, it’s a very nice, stylish wine. Realistically, Napa Valley was not all that much money until the mid to late 1990’s. Today, people are used to the region being pricey, but that is really a fairly recent occurrence.

You can read details about Ao Yun and tasting notes if you like China and Bordeaux Wine, The Complete Story, Current Situation Today

China has a bigger perception issue than Chile did, and the Chinese wine also costs more than the Don Melchor and Clos Apalta reserve bottlings.

I won’t be a buyer, but mostly because of my budget and not the region/country.

That’s part of my price reasoning, of course!

I’d add that it’s from a new area not familiar to just about everybody here.

No track record, at a price point that doesn’t lend itself to me being made curious enough to want to jump in.

The back story in uncompelling. Do I look to the Chinese government as arbiters of fine plantings?

Someone mentioned this: “It can take any amount of oxygen you can throw at it and remain unchanged. A half-drunk bottle tasted exactly the same 48 hours after opening as it had the first minute. I’ve never encountered such immutability in a table wine before.”

Add this: "Using luxury skills in combination with innovative creativity, risk-taking, all in a very bespoke way to create something new and unique.”

So, what value do I put on “luxury skills?”

I went with 90 bucks, not an inconsiderable amount for a new and unheralded wine.

Did my price point offend? I did not mean to. I am curious what price would make my fellow Berserkers take the leap.

Edited to add: Jeff! How much did you pay for it?

That does not stop new Napa producers from selling wine at high prices, yet people buy them. Again, I find the wine pricey, but I am not their target audience.

The back story in uncompelling. Do I look to the Chinese government as arbiters of fine plantings?

No. But the people from LVMH, that own Cheval Blanc, Yquem, Krug, Dom etc are running things and they have a track record for making good wine and knowing good dirt.

I went with 90 bucks, not an inconsiderable amount for a new and unheralded wine.

I agree, that is a lot of money.

Did my price point offend? I did not mean to. I am curious what price would make my fellow Berserkers take the leap.

No dog in the race. I was just curious and bored today. I do find some of the comments here perhaps a bit xenophobic. Yours were not.

Edited to add: Jeff! How much did you pay for it?

I was presented a single bottle to sample. I wish I had another to present to people in a blend tasting. FWIW, there are very few wines today I want to spend $300 on. Those days are for me,mostly gone, unless the wine has a lot of bottle age and comes from a region I am already familiar with.

Jeff,

thanks for the link … I would venture to say in 100 years the demographics of France will be so hostile to wine that China could very well fill the void, as the French diversify into China… they see the future too …

Salute !!!

As a bit of drift, if the wine works, China has set up a great area to develop into ‘wine country’ there, with a visually charming location and mythos!

I remember getting some emails from TW on this a while back, offering discounts for those willing to take a case.

I don’t even understand how the $100 South American wines get sold, let alone this.

Wine is made in all 50 United States, including the state in which I currently reside (Georgia)…

Wine from everywhere may be made, but is it then drunk? [snort.gif]

or worth drinking! [wink.gif]

FWIW I go to the Georgia wine country once or twice a year… only 45 minute drive. It’s beautiful and reminds me of the rolling hills of Bavaria. The wine is useful when I run out of Windex, but hey I’m willing to support these small businesses in the hopes one day some decent wine will be produced.

then distilled to then make “grape” vodka or other spirits =)

Considering that I buy very few bottles of wine that are >$90, and those are ones I know I have liked in the past, this to me seems like a reasonable maximum price at which I’d be willing to try. I’d be even more happy to throw down $15 for a glass to share a bottle with 5 Berserkers to spread the risk.

Your windows must have Alice Cooper eyes.

I had a Three Sisters Vineyards Cynthiana that was quite decent, wish I remembered the vintage. Pretty little vineyard, the rest of the wine was not good at all. Popped in once during a cycling trip.

Should I post the pic of u in the vineyard?

Geez, what a dismal vision.

Perhaps not improbable, though.

Passing easily… Though I’d definitely consider it if it came with a complementary bottle of bordeaux [snort.gif]

There were two prior threads on this, one in April, when the wine was presented in the US, and one in November when Arv R couldn’t believe his eyes when he got an e-mail offering of this. The latter thread has a lot of additional information.

Yeah. As tasty as South American Cab/Malbec/etc. is at the low end, they’ve not yet been able to make wine complex enough to stand with Bordeaux or Napa. Maybe it’s impossible, or maybe it will take further decades to find the right land and develop the right techniques. It’s not terribly plausible the Chinese have figured it out in much less time.