30% off flannery hanger steaks

100% what Jay posted including no flower pot. Haven’t ever had this method let me down.
and, cannot talk highly enough of the salt a few days prior. Dry brine has changed my life.

Has anyone tried it with the flower pot? That sounds bizarre.

My oven isn’t big enough for that idea.

Jay, recipe says sit in fridge for 3 days. But salt on say of cooking.
Above u say u salt then sit in fridge… which is better?

Also… 200 or 250 temp? And how long for a 4-5lber roughly?

Sorry I wasn’t clear

My three changes are:

Salt ahead of time (vital)
119 instead of 118 (just a tad less rare, if you like it really rare you can leave it at 118)
No flower pot (because that’s just silly)
I don’t make the sauce. I’m guessing the flower pot prevents the juices from evaporating to you have enough to make it. I never do.

I’ll start at 200 is best but if I’m running late I’ve been known to raise that to 210 or even 215 if I’m on a deadline.

I’m terrible at estimating or remembering timing which is why I’ll use a leave in thermometer switching to an instant read as I get closer to done. Um, 2-3 hours? It also depends a lot on whether you brought it to room temp before putting it in the oven.

I’d suggest budgeting 4 hours. If it finishes early, a longer rest won’t impact the final temp detrimentally. Serious Eats recommends resting at least 30 min and no more than 1 1/2 hours.

In the past, I’ve underestimated the amount of time it would take to cook the roast and bumped the temp up to 275 F. It still turned out beautifully.

You see, that’s why I always end up increasing the temp…

Good to know. Thanks gang!

What are you guys putting this on? Wire rack? Roasting pan/rack? Flat on baking sheet?

wire rack in roasting pan

I prefer a wire rack on a baking sheet for the most even heat.

how high does the wire rack have to be? like sits up 2 inches off the sheet to allow air flow? or just a 1/2 inch rack is sufficient?

I do half inch and it’s fine. Of course higher up isn’t a problem.

I watched the video and Alton didn’t roast it on a rack, just plopped it rib side down into maybe a 9x12 pyrex baking dish. But then he was doing it inside that crazy flower pot. He also put the lid back on when he cranked it to 500, which I thought was interesting.

His instructions do say to dry brine it on a rack, but that isn’t in the video.

As i’m doing the Wagyu club roast which has no rib bones obviously and would lie completely flat, i’m definitely planning to use a rack. I do like the pyrex idea for ease in making a jus, but I can already hear my wife freaking out about her baking dish when I put it on the stovetop and crank the burner.

HA, you spend $100+ on a Wagyu roast, what’s another $15 pyrex?!?! [cheers.gif]

I exploded a Pyrex baking dish on a stove. Probably was too hot or something, but with so many other options, I doubt I will try that again.

Just piling on with the technique already described. Frankly, it’s the easiest “fancy” cook there is and is damn near foolproof. Same as everyone has stated, I slow roast at 225 or below until the internal temp is around 115, pull for about a 30 minute rest, then sear hot on my BGE until the crust is the way I want it.

If you’re finishing it over an open flame like me, don’t get the fire nuclear, just hot. Probably about 450 and still expect a lot of flames if your roast is a well marbled Flannery. I’m preparing one for tomorrow evening.

Pre-Salting, now in the fridge drying out

[resizeableimage=800,600]https://image.ibb.co/bAHeVR/C67_EC0_FB_C338_4_DE8_ADCA_555377_C604_C3.jpg[/resizeableimage]

[resizeableimage=800,600]https://image.ibb.co/jadEx6/449_C2_E30_F78_B_461_A_A397_B66_C06_FA2_E27.jpg[/resizeableimage]

[resizeableimage=800,600]https://image.ibb.co/hgNPx6/6_C53_B924_E6_C2_420_B_883_B_730_E70_CC83_AC.jpg[/resizeableimage]

Does it required to be wrapped in string? What does that do?
If my piece doesn’t have string around it, will it still work ?

Will work perfectly, no need to worry at all – Brian’s roast just has the rib bones tied on:

http://www.flannerybeef.com/butcher/prime-beef/dry-aged-ca-reserve/dry-aged-prime-rib-roast-ca-778.html

Makes it easier to remove them after cooking, no difference otherwise.