30% off flannery hanger steaks

5 Ribs on the way and a 5lb Wagyu roast, that should get me through New Years.

I want to frame this photo and put it on my nightstand.

I just got the full seven bone roast…lots of carnivores will be descending upon the house over the holidays! Lots of inventory reduction in the Bordeaux/cabernet department!

Cheers!
Marshall

Mistakenly I ordered the 4# Wagyu Roast and we have only 2.5 adults dining.

Thinking sammies the next day.

trim out 2 individual portions from the roast and save for another great dinner

Gorgeous! I just called Bryan and asked for a Charlie Fu quality prime rib. Also 3 hangars and some short ribs

I’ll be very interested to hear about the prime rib results. The one I ordered last year was very disappointing. I’ve always assumed it was a fluke.

Genuinely curious - what was disappointing about it?

Almost no flavor. Here are my comments from last year. Only disappointing Flannery purchase I’ve ever made.

Thanks for the link! I ordered a four-rib that I’m cutting into steaks. I’ll report back when I take delivery in late January.

Edited to add: I think you might be right about the missing fat making a difference. I love the ribcap and fat too much to get a prime rib roast without them.

No fat = no deliciousness.

The 5 rib is interesting. Anything 5+ you’ll end up with one rib that’s pretty much a strip loin. When I took it out of the package and started to cut I realized one end piece looked exactly like a new york strip. Lo and behold it was the rib closest to the short loin. So even more bang for your buck!

Yeah, I don’t know about a rib roast, without the cap - regardless of the quality.
Doesn’t look like he even offers it any longer?

Seems like a number of us leapt at the Wagyu club roast. I have a 4# for 4 of us, so - a lot!

Anyone have any special thoughts on cooking?
Just roast it on a rack at 450 to med rare?

Have to say i’m slightly tempted to whack it in 4 pieces and grill it, but that seems quite a bit less celebratory.

450 deg, you will kill that roast, the carryover heat from the outside will make the interior temp jump a lot. Go low and slow with a reverse sear.

Yeah, i’ve been doing the reverse sear for ribeye/rib roast a lot lately vs the traditional starting at 450 then lowering to say 300.
Seems like it should be good for sirloin too.

OK, so what’s the consensus from people who have cooked the 5-rib CA Reserve roast?

Bryan Flannery says: “5rib: Preheat oven to 500 degrees, cook rib for 15 to 20 minutes, then lower oven temp to 350 and finish for another two hours.”

I only have one chance to do this right. Never spent this much on a piece of meat in my life.

Reverse sear all the way, if you have the time for it.

Roast it low and slow (225 to 250) on a wire rack on a low sided baking sheet until it reaches the temp you want. Pull it, let it rest 15 to 30 minutes, and crank the oven to 500 or 550. Put it back in the oven until the outside has crisped up (it doesn’t take long), then carve and serve. There is no need to let it rest after the sear stage.

Thanks folks! [berserker.gif]

you can let it rest even longer…had a 4 rib on the counter for over an hour, seared and the temp was perfect.

Whenever I cook prime rib I use the Alton Brown recipe but without the flower pot and I take it to an internal temp of 119 rather than 118. Salting it a few days beforehand and letting it sit in the fridge is key.