2024 Out of Place Winery Aglianico - New Mexico

Received as a gift from a friend whose brother is apparently the winemaker at this place in New Mexico. Went in with basically zero expectations of enjoyment and wow, was I surprised. They didn’t have a single cellar tracker entry prior till today. I had an interesting conversation about this wine, especially since I know nothing of New Mexico as a place for wine. Reportedly, New Mexico is a place where sweet reds is popular (this is not that) and also they sell sweet moscato out of the winery too. I’m going to be going back to the source here and investigating further.

Wonderfully herbaceous nose. Color is partially translucent brick red. Palate is medium bodied. Tastes of black cherry, dark plum, leather, white pepper, smoke and earthy elements. Tannins are extremely well managed and almost dangerously too easy to drink now but they are definitely present. A nice gripping acidity too bring you back to the next glass. This would be amazing with pizza or red pastas.

This bottle is gonna disappear a bit quicker than I originally promised them that I would be tasting it throughout the weekend.

1 Like

Does it indicate where the Aglianico grapes were grown?? Deming/MimbresVlly??
Not familiar w/ this Wnry.
Tom

Mimbres. But I have zero familiarity with New Mexico. I almost never post tasting notes but this was so surprising I felt like sharing. I also half expected it to be undrinkable considering it is such a young aglianico.

They own no vnyds. Located in the NW area of Albq. Most of their grapes come from Paolo d’Andrea in Deming/Mimbres Vlly. Pretty hot area. Much like Lodi. Lots of irrigation down there. And then a few grapes from outlying areas near Albq.
Tom

Interesting. Seems like the wine grower might originally be from Friuli then and they make their own wines as well under the Luna Rossa label? I see that winery releases a 60 month oak aged aglianico. :eyes:

Yeah. I believe Paola came up NM from Friuli.
Luna Rossa is indeed his own label.
He sells grapes he calls Refosco. I think they’re actually another variety.
Tom

Which would be Mondeuse. Even better.
Tom