2021 Schrader Release 1/18/23

Does anyone have any reviews, tasting notes or info on tomorrows 2021 release? Schrader used to have a review/press section on their website but it looks like a new website and i cant find that feature.

Is 1/18 the 1st or 2nd wave offer or is there only 1 wave this year? Im usually in the 2nd wave in mid Feb. Typically, i see someone either in the Wine Talk forum or on Commerce Corner discussing the offer(s). Any insight into tomorrows release would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Been buying Schrader for several years and I am disappointed with this year’s offering in terms of price and allocation. For $915 I was offered a 3 bottle set of LPV, GIII, and Monastery Block. No BTK of any flavor. At over $300 this is an easy pass this year.

3 Likes

The $75 bottle increase from the '19 release has me on pause. I was offered TWO mixed 6 pack options with CCS, BTK and RBS, no T6.

2 Likes

I was also only offered an Elegance Collection 3-pack ($915) of GIII, Monastery and LPV. I was only able to WL 1 more Elegance Collection pack. This allocation is way down from previous years.

The price increase is also rather sizeable.They did offer free shipping but I’d rather pay for the shipping than have a $75/bottle price increase.

I purchased my 3-pack but will re-evaluate what i want to do with future allocations.

1 Like

Wow. That is an aggressive price hike.

1 Like

I was offered the 2 6 packs Vintners Select and Legacy Collections. Both at $1830 and Sparky or Colesworthy at $750. Those were some very aggressive price hikes. I have enough in my cellar that this year may start the pass.

2 Likes

Same here. Way less than usual. I’ve been picking up 18 a year for a few years. This year, 1 3 pak? Price did jump but it shows free 3 day now ( doesn’t justify $75 per but freight was 10-15 per? Need to look.)

Hi Greg, any interest in selling your Old Sparky allocation? Thx, Phil

3 Likes

My friend that has been buying them for at least 15 years is passing for the first time as well. Good thing is he’s got about 4 cases so we’ll be enjoying them for many years to come

1 Like

Haven’t purchased since '18 vintage. Was interested until seeing the price hike. Even with shipping included I am taking a pass.

Feel free to PM if I can help someone out.

1 Like

Generally I’m averse to being a squeaky wheel but decided to be squeaky wheel and sent an email to Schrader regarding the price increase and my allocation. Didn’t get the price increase changed but I was offered a much better allocation than my initial 3 bottle allocation that didn’t include any BTK. Very happy with my interaction with Philip at Schrader. I ended up with Old Sparky allocation which I’ll pass on but I did buy one for the 2018 vintage. Happy to be getting flagship Schrader Beckstoffer To Kalon for the first time along with CCS an RBS which I’ve been getting for years.

I’m not very happy with the paltry allocation (in a year not marred by low production), nor the (significant) price hike. I purchased one elegance 3-pack, almost reflexively, but this will be the last schrader purchase for me after years of buying.

3 Likes

I was surprised to see that this was the first time I have seen them disconnect the packs from Old Sparky, meaning you could order the Old Sparky without having to purchase your other allocations. This would be a nice trend if it was not a mistake or technical error on their part! And yes the price jump was ugly.

Not quite - I tried to order just an Old Sparky but there was a $1000 minimum. So I had to order a 3-pack of RBS plus the Old Sparky. Did not want a six-pack where three were not BTK.

Interesting, my allocation was a choice of either of two 6 packs at 1,800+, 2 Old Sparky and 2 Colesworthy. That was probably why I didn’t see the minimum as I just grabbed the Old Sparky x 2. None was cheap but I couldn’t resist. Having said that depending on what they do going forward I may be done.

1 Like

3 “mediocre” bottles for over $900 ($300+ each) made for a very easy pass. It was a good run. Have plenty in our cellar.

1 Like

The Heritage and Monastary TO Kalons are very good also. So 12 with 7 or 8 being to BTK’s or TK’s plus OS and CW