2021 and 2022 Northern Rhone

Wondering what WB’ers are thinking about these years in the N. Rhone? I used to follow Josh Raynolds but with his unfortunate passing I am relatively in the dark on these vintages. I don’t have ton’s of experience in this area, but trying to diversify my past focus on Bordeaux. Any comments / contrasts would be interesting for discussion and info

Cheers

A subscription to Drink Rhone could help. JLL is my go to for Rhone notes. His style is unique and could take a while to get used to.

I have only bought 2021 Lionel Faury Blanc and St Joseph so far. I have not tried either.

Based on Josh Reynolds’ last report ‘21 was a difficult vintage with very mixed results. Without a lot more info I’m likely to go pretty light, buying regulars and not experimenting too much without being able to taste before buying (always a massively limiting option for those of us on the west coast of the US). Have heard zero about ‘22 but the wines are not likely to appear for quite some time.

1 Like

22 Rhone sales started in the last week or so in the UK.

I’ll be in N. Rhone in a few weeks and will try to post my notes/impressions.

2 Likes

JLL gave out less five and six star ratings in '21 and '22 than '19 and '20. Generally from the '21 vintage, I’m only buying white wine. '22 was very hot and dry but there were some great wines made, especially in Cornas old vines. Allemand, Balthazar, Clape, Serrette and Vincent Paris all made wines at the top of their game. Jean-Michel Gérin had some top Cote Rotie. Anything with young vines isn’t going to be good and white isn’t worth buying.

2 Likes

I have not tasted a lot.

I think 2021 could be very interesting if you like more classic vintages and pick out wines carefully.

5 Likes

Very interested in your notes! Safe travels.

1 Like

I have tasted a few 2021 Northern Rhones so far:

2021 Domaine Barou St.-Joseph Un autre monde was its usual charming and affordable self.

The 2021 Domaine des Amphores St. Joseph Les 7 Lieux was hard and unpleasant, stemmy and underripe. And the Andre Perret St.-Joseph was similar; according to JLL, Perret only got to 11.5% alcohol and had to chaptalize a full degree. No thanks.

The 2021 Julien Cecillon Crozes-Hermitage Les Marguerites, on the other hand, was the real deal: rocky and chiseled, with good vigor.

For the cellar, I have bought from 2021 somewhat selectively, sticking to some of my favorites: Bourg, Gilles, Barge, Chambeyron-Manin, Champet, Gallet, and I sprung for some Balthazar Chaillot.

That seems rather incredible. It almost seems like estates have to work at it to get such low abv in our new environment.

Zach, where were you able to find these two? Have you tried Barge yet?

It does. And many estates chaptalized in 2021, which was very wet in the latter part of the growing season.

Got the Barge from Lyle, and Chambeyron-Manin from Lopa. Have’t tried or received either.

Tasted the 2021 Cote Roties from Rostaing, Gerin, Clusel Roch and a CdR from Barge on a quick day trip by bike last August.
As well as the 2022 Condrieus from all the above.

Would echo the above, the 2022 Condrieus were all way too rich and alcoholic (even above the usual waxy unctuousness that Condrieu can achieve) without the acidity to match, except perhaps the Rostaing.

For the CRs, Rostaing’s Ampodium stood out as the only wine that one could fairly judge at this stage. Think ABV was something like 12.5-13% (bottle wasn’t labeled) which was a breath of fresh air. Rest of the wines weren’t showing much, but drinking the 2020s from Barge a short while after I actually preferred the 2021s in general - Trading dark fruit for more florals, generally at least 1% less alcohol. Yes there is a greenness to the tannins but they aren’t also as rectilinear and in-your-face as the 2020s (granted this may be the Barge house style contrasting against the others). Not sure how they will fare beyond 20 years but at least for the first 5-10 years of life I think they will be more drinkable than the 2020s.

Based on that I picked up a few bottles of the top cuvées of Gerin on that trip, and then got some Rostaing Ampodium and Landonne when I got back home; time will tell if I am being too bullish about a vintage many others have written off but I certainly hope not.

3 Likes

Were the Rostaing wines not less expensive at the cellar door?

They aren’t really set up to sell at the cellar door I believe (tasted in the cellar itself while they were rinsing out the tanks, not really a commercial tasting set up per se). Or perhaps I didn’t ask the right questions - perhaps some others here may have been able to?

In any case I find it’s not always cheaper to buy ex cellar as you may end up paying VAT twice since they are obliged to charge at POS and I might end up doing the same going home if Customs is a bit strict

Thanks for the heads up. I’m visiting soon but using a third-party importer to send wine I purchase back home, so I shouldnt need to pay VAT. I’ll report back if I have a different experience with purchasing.

I had a bottle of 2021 Gonon Saint Joseph recently, and it was excellent. Granted, I’ve never had a bad bottle of Gonon so :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Good discussion so far. I bought a few 2021’s (Gonon, Balthazar).

My notes on the Gonon: Nice wine, but reserved. Light bodied and not overly tannic compared to other young ST J’s. Hope it fills out in time

Cheers

1 Like

Fair note on the Gonon. I personally love Gonon on release, but then it shuts down for a few years. I think they show best once they pass the five year mark.