2020 Gut Hermannsberg "7 Terroirs" - what a value for 12€

2020 Gut Hermannsberg "7 Terroirs"

This Riesling from the Nahe region confirms my positive impressions about 2020 Gut Hermannsberg.

„Fermented predominantly in stainless steel but also large oak (Stück, 1,200 liter). Sourced from younger vines in all seven of the top sites of the domain.“

Clear, precise and without gimmickry. In addition finesse and charme. What a value for 12€.

91/100 Stephan Reinhardt/WA

93/100 Stuart Pigott/J. Suckling

D1428805-76A9-495E-A347-630470D54D6C.jpeg

Blending 7 terroirs into one wine results in no terroir.

Doesn’t mean that the resulting wine can’t be delicious and/or compelling though.

Agreed. But I thought it was silly to market a blend using the concept of singular terroirs being blended.

Some might differ

At the end of the day what matters most for me is wine-quality. I don’t care about wine-marketing, wine-scores or wine-philosophy. in vino veritas

The estate Gut Hermannsberg was taken over in 2009 by the investor Jens Reidel and his wife Dr. Christine Dinse. Jens Reidel was until 2009 CEO of the British investment company BC Partners. https://gut-hermannsberg.de/en

I would say that 2020 is maybe the best vintage ever at the estate and his cellar master Karsten Peter.

Yesterday I tasted the Ortswein “Schiefer” for 17-18€ which showed a little bit more depth&minerality and was also well-made, but at the end of the day I would buy “7 Terroirs” because of the drinking pleasure and charme.

I hope you can find it in the US.