2019 JJ Prüm is very special

Sure… it’s nice value, but I find the named vineyard kabis (including Oberhauser Leistenberg) are an even better value at just $3-4 more.

1 Like

I think I paid 16 for the Estate and 26 for the Oberhauser Kabinett including shipping. Estate is definitely a better deal in my opinion, but I LOVE the Oberhauser.

Loosen’s Treppchen kabinett is particularly delicious this vintage (although I generally love this bottling).

Just popped one open tonight. Will try again with dinner, but it was not in the top 3 of the 4 '19 Kabs we opened. I preferred the Loosen Urziger Wurtzgarten Kab.

Give it a little time to come together.

I paid $19 for Estate and $23 for Oberhauser, so a much smaller price diff. $16 is great for Estate and I’d definitely pick up a bunch for serving to a crowd. For myself I’d still rather drink Oberhauser any day at $23 though.

1 Like

I should say it was 23, but 3 for shipping so I include all the costs. 100% agree that I’ll drink the Oberhauser over the Estate!

I find the Estate and the Leistenberg (not to mention the Klamm) Kabinett to be very different wines. Need to have them both. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I always need all of then, but alas, I am forced to pick a D choose in most situations…

Bought nearly two cases of the 2019 WS Kabinett, assuming I’d “naturally” prefer it to the cheaper 2019 GH since was not impressed by the 2018 GH vs 2019 WS… turns out I’m loving the 19 GH. Infanticide never tasted so good

I bought equal amounts of both in 2019.

2018 and 2019 are such different vintages, there’s just no comparing them.

2 Likes

I picked up some 2019s based on this thread. These are the first bottles of Riesling I have purchased in 5 years, so thanks for taking me down this rabbit hole! I got the only bottlings I could find locally - Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett and Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese.

1 Like

Smh. Ended up with a case of Bernkasteler Badstube at a hefty premium instead of case WS! …after drinking all the WS I had on the assumption that I had another case coming

I’m currently trying to fix this, but any possible upsides to BB? Does anyone know this vineyard bottling?

I am a long time fan of Prüm Badstube. It’s different from WS, but the wine is always very good. If you want it to be WS you will be disappointed, but if you accept it on its own terms. I do worry about your “hefty premium” comment, as BB is always less expensive than WS.

Thanks so much for your valued input, David.

(Hefty premium=fair price for the BB but was Wine-Searcher low for WS. A possible honest mistake that they aren’t being gracious about handling. Kicking myself for not double-checking but I remember providing the SKU when I called.

Weighing whether it’s worth it to pay return shipping costs or drink the mistake :/)

It’s Prüm. Drink it.

1 Like

Heeded your advice, and my disappointment (and frustration) disappeared on the first sip.

Definitely different from GH and WS but doesn’t “drink” lower as the pricing seemed to suggest. It’s just a different profile… more crystalline apple/pear as opposed to intense citrus in the GH and tropical complexity in the WS. Thanks again. Love this forum

(11 more bottles to go. Don’t even know why I Coravined this lol)

drinking the graacher himmelreich kabinett tonight - not tasting - since this is sooo drinkable.
very bright, almost no colour, almost no prüm-funk (sulfur), just very pure, smooth, 9.5%, neither sweetness nor acidity sticking out.
love it, drink it.

now, the wehlener sonnenuhr spat is a different animal:
same colour, but much more complex nose with similar peach-purree but followed by a mouthwatering grapefruit-lemon note.
much sweeter in taste, also more complexity, lemon notes, some slate an minerality (not sticking out), some depth, quite long and concentrated without tasting as such.

like it today, love it in 20 years…

1 Like