2019 JJ Prüm is very special

John Gilman just published a partial German report. His top wine was the Prum Graacher spatlese 2019. Very rarely does he give a score in the high nineties. This got a 98.

1 Like

They all performed well. WS Kabi got 97 and WS Spat 96+.

Now dreading next year’s Prum pricing [swearing.gif]

hmmmm, I just noticed I have 226 bottles of 2019 Riesling and only 12 bottles of Prum. Time to hunt…

2 Likes

Now I’m curious what you’re other 214 bottles are.

I have 235 bottles of 2019 riesling, 30 bottles are Prüm, but thinking of going for more.

You are right, nowhere near enough.

1 Like

I’m very happy I bought a bunch of this.

235 bottles…pfft…punters.

3 Likes

Right, only good for 8 months

3 Likes

:rofl:

Not as many total but better proportions. 150 bottles of 2019 german rieslings, 42 Prum. And 22 von Schubert.

2 Likes

I’m actually surprised I have as many as I do already because I’ve just been dabbling in 2019 buying so far. My state seems to release stuff very late. I just got 2018 offers late last year. So I’ve already let my local store know I’m going deep on 2019 when it arrives here. I typically don’t buy this stuff in the EU because the low bottle price makes the savings minimal and the shipping fee and hassle eats up more than the savings. And the national offers I’ve gotten thus far have been poor.

1 Like

Same here. For some reason I only bought 1 bottle of the Auslese. Time to start looking around [cheers.gif]

I thought I had bought 2x 6 packs of Prum spatlese. I ended up with one; and got instead three magnums for a little more money.

Does anyone have any experience of these? Never opened a magnum of German wine. Do they also age more slowly than fifths, and are the final mature wines better? How do you store them? The shape is so awkward

1 Like

I buy quite a bit of Riesling in magnum, as I find the bottle shape exceptionally appealing. Not a rational reason, but it works for me :blush: And it’s an easy way to impress friends coming for dinner.

They’re a pain in the backside to store though as they’re really long. My wine fridges fit them depth wise, but you lose a lot of capacity.

I’ve found aging process to be somewhat slower, but this in itself is not that big of an asset given slow aging of Riesling anyway. Whether they’re better is very subjective. They’ll have more primal fruit when normal bottles go more tertiary already and arguably reach peak later. But the plateau for Riesling is so long, that’ it’s maybe more relevant for the next generation.

Mags store perfectly in my double deep Burg sized racks. Love them. I would certainly imagine they age slower like any large formats.

You really need to catch up! [cheers.gif]

I like keeping the NSA on its toes thinking I’m storing Katyusha rockets in my cellar as well. champagne.gif

Well the 5 cases of Donnhoff Estate I just picked up didn’t hurt the count. A couple other Donnhoff mixed cases. 2 cases of Falkenstein. 3 mixed cases Dr Loosen. 2 mixed cases Muller. 4 mixed cases Schaefer. And another couple of cases of odds and ends.

The Doenhoff Estate is an incredible value, IMHO.

I agree

1 Like