2019 Foillard

I bought a mixed case of the 2019 Foillard (3 each of the Village, Corcelette, Fleurie and du Py). I’m now through 10 bottles, and half have been either affected or just bad. For one, the wax cork easily came off and then the cork was so loose I think I could have taken it out with my fingers - the wine was not good. Four were affected with what I assume is brett or VA and were not really drinkable. Anyone else having similar results with either Foillard or the 19 vintage in general? I’m usually a fan of Foillard (I have some of the 20 but haven’t opened any yet) but this has me buying Thivin or Clos de Roillette instead when I go for Beaujolais.

Have bought and opened many Foillard (but no 19s) and have had no issues. To my understanding, KLWM is as meticulous as they come with refrigeration and handling. Did yours have his sticker?

Good question, all have Kermit’s sticker. I bought them in NYC at a reputable seller so I’m not really worried about provenance, and I have not really had issues with Foillard in the past so was wondering if it was maybe the vintage itself.

Strange, I’ve definitely had some bretty bottles of Foillard in the past, but 2019 has been one of the most consistently great vintages of Foillard that I’ve drank. In 2019 I’ve only had the Côte du Py, but I’ve had 1 jero, 3 mags, and 6 regular bottles over the last 3 years and all have been fantastic.

I find brett and VA on Foillard quite frequently. Have you had other really warm vintages (assuming '19 was in Beaujolais)?

Yes, Kermit Lynch takes the utmost care with temperature conditions on their imports. There’s always a chance that the wine got hot after it left KLWM’s hands, but even that is unlikely. Does the sticker mean KLWM actually imported, or could this be a direct import into NY/NJ?

I’ve had multiple cases of the ‘19 Villages and the Cote du Py and have not experienced any of the issues you did - although Foillard wax is consistently brittle and cracked in my experience, even with relatively recent vintages. I received a new case 19 Villages just a few weeks ago and the three bottles I’ve had so far were perfect.

Feels like storage / shipping issues to me, although one would think the synthetic corks in the Villages would not be so susceptible to the issues you had.

Oddly enough, I had a bottle of the 2019 villages a month or two ago and thought it tasted more muted, less vibrant than a prior bottle