2019 Burgundy -- What are you buying?

Thanks - guess why the 2015 and 2017 has not taker - yet.

Make hay while the sun shines!

We have some 2019 Glantenay Volnay coming in next week. There is the Village, 1er Les Brouillard and 1er Les Santenots. I’ll get some Village for earlier (and cheaper!) drinking but assuming I can only pick a 1er Cru as well, which one should I look at?

I was thinking Santenots but I read some pretty good comments on Brouillard for 2019. Did anybody try both cuvées?

still many wines have not hit our shores. Damn Covid !!!

the real question is, how many bitcoins will that be, and will dollars even be important? I have it on good twitter-thority that bitcoin will rule the world by then. probably those bottles will just be owned in the cloud on a blockchain and you’ll drink them in an oculus rig I guess.

I am waiting for the year 2525, if man is still alive.

1 Like

Phil …you have been into too many other wines in SAQ ( except Burgundy ) and hmmmm - please remember all roads will lead into Rome. [swoon.gif]

SAQ has 2 domines under the name Glantenays - one is George Glantenays and the other is just : Glantenays. .

I much prefer the Bernard Glantenay ( list only the family name in SAQ-web) than George Glantenay for 2 reasons. Bernard Glantenays in much cheaper and also my preferred producer - due to their house style.

SAQ always carries Bernard Glantenay’s 3 1er crus : I only buy their Santenots - which is priced very similar to CdChenes and about 10% more than Les Brouillard.

Surprisingly the prices for vintage 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018…are around the same. My guess is : direct import by SAQ.

2015 Les Santenots was at the same price as 2019 ( and yet the product code changed ). I did a pair tastings of the Les Santenots 2015 and 2017 some 6 months ago. The 2017 performed better and was much the preferred bottle. It was more expressive and delicious. I only bought 3 bottles of Les Santenots from vintage 2017. The 2015 definitely was at the closing-down stage and begged for bottle-age so I will keep the rest of 2015 and will not open any bottle more until in the year 2024.

Just my 2 cents…

BTY…Neal Martin reported the Les Santenots 2019 was 100% destemed and Les Brouillard was 25% whole-clustered.

Any thoughts on Lamarche in 2019?

Peter, with 23.4% of my cellar being Burgundy, I think I’m visiting Rome often enough! :slight_smile:

The ones coming out are Bernard et Thierry, hence my interest. However, they are 2019. As you know all other vintages are sold out at SAQ.

If I can’t get a first hand comparison of Brouillard and Santenots 2019, I might just end up not getting the Village and buying both 1er. Ah well… I tried…

Phil…yes.

The 2019 B et T Glantenay ( 2 1ers and Village ) …should be released on 2021/10/14 ( if not - then should be on 2021/10/21).

Their village Volnay 2019 at $ 54.25 is a steal; and their 1er Les Santenots2019 at $82.75 …is highway robbery -for the 2 following reasons : (a) as they are 2 for 1 when compared with other Volnay - village and 1er cru from other producers: and the 2019 prices are very similar to their 2015 and 2018. Hence my comments that they are most likely direct importation by SAQ

If I remembered right …their 2015, 2016. 2017 and 2018 were on the shelves at SAQ stores for sometimes before they were finally all sold out …

Just to keep the bet alive, the 2018 CdC is averaging $253 on wine searcher. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here…

2 Likes

OK…since many reds from vintage 2019 …are arriving in Quebec - how about getting it …up to 25 to 30%.

Watching out for the 2 following 2019 reds by Des Croix 2019 : Des Croix -Les Cents Vignes 2018 (1411-0489- $77) and Des Croix -A-C Les Boutieres 18 (1411-0471 $63).

Both from vintage 2018 … were flying off …the on-line sales and SAQ shelves.

Friends,

For the excellent 2019 vintage I added CHAMBERTIN Clos-de-Bèze and Latricières Chambertin Duroché to my shopping list. I also tried to get hold of an allocation of the C DE Vogüé wines. Their MUSIGNY, MUSIGNY BLANC, BONNES MARES and AMOUREUSES remain rare birds but, more importantly, also excellent specimen of their lieu-dits. Can’t wait to see what I’ll be able of landing here…

SINCERLY JOHAN

Perrot-Minot, D’Angerville, Marchand Tawse, Rousseau, Ponsot, Bouley. For me 2019 is more complete and compelling than 2020, but unfortunately yields were low in 2019.

I haven’t seen much as far as 2019’s go, there’s still a lot of unsold 2017/2018 in U.S. importer/wholesaler inventory. In some cases 2018’s were just released. I’m sure logistics has something to do with it.

Personally, I’m looking for up-and-coming producers and the few relative bargains left in the marketplace.

1 Like

Hi Johan…it is your friend from Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

No offense here but just a personal observation…rare birds … [scratch.gif] …hmmm.

Here are the facts :

Vogue is the biggest holder in the 2 g-crus in the village of Chambolle. In Musigny it is 7.12 ha out of 10.85 ha and in Bonnes Mares it is 2.70 ha out of 15.06 ha. Vogue is also one of the 3 largest holders in Amorousness and it is exactly 0% out of 5.40 ha.

In Quebec Canada, we still have Musigny by Vogüé from vintage 2014 and 2017.

You tasted a lot of 2020s already?

1 Like

Not “a lot” but enough 19-20 mini-verticals to extrapolate on their different characters for my own purposes. Also, the general feeling is that 21 will not be so good in quality by comparison to the three preceding vintages. Some winemakers I talked to regretted not reacting to the weather in 21 at the appropriate time and feel their harvest has suffered. I imagine that this low assessment of 21 should play a role in buying decisions for the next few years. But who knows what 22 will bring.

Please share this as widely as you can. Make sure everyone knows that 2021 is the vintage to save your money for and 2019’s are likely not worth the time. [cheers.gif]

1 Like