2019 Burgundy -- What are you buying?

I think five years from now, if current market trends continue, you will be glad you bought them when you did.

I remember my horror and a bit of anger when, for example, Mugnier Musigny and Rousseau Chambertin jumped from $110 to $150 per bottle and I got out—no way could it go higher than that . . .

1 Like

I did hit up a dear friend with some mags and double mags lafarge clos des chênes 2018 as it was a birth year wine for him - didn’t buy any myself (only the ducs and some bouley clos des chenes). I’ll be waiting for the 2020 as birth year wine.

1 Like

If…

Want to bet a bottle of 2019 Clos des Chênes?

1 Like

I buy roughly the same things every year with slight variations based on quantity or getting offered something new. I do that without tasting the vintage and instead relying on purchasing producer’s whose wines I know I will enjoy. That has worked out well. I do think that it feels like we are potentially on the precipice of something different in burgundy based on 18/19/20, and that climate change has resulted in significant change. I think at some point I will have to delve into the recent vintages and think about how much I like the new stylistic paradigm in burgundy, but that will be after I buy in 2019 and likely 2020 as well.
A

I’ll be buying 2019 in about the same volume as the last few years, probably a bit more than ‘18. Trying for the same producers, using my usual strategy of adding one or two up and comers (e.g. Bertheau-Gerbet this year). Otherwise many of the same names discussed on this thread. I’d add Domain Patrice Rion - ultra reliable and still not crazily priced. Sadly my normal process is tasting at La Paulee, discovering something new, then hunting down bottles from the most recent vintages. Not happening this year so I’m shooting somewhat in the dark. The lovely lovely Pinot filled dark :rofl:.

With you Mr Kelley, you are on. What are the terms?

Okay, let’s say that the 2018 Clos des Chênes, which is currently trading for around 220 USD per bottle, will have hit 450 USD per bottle on the market (from more than one source) within five years of today.

You predicting greater inflation? Fed doesn’t think so, but what do they know?

I just meant wine market trends. The Chinese market is beginning to take more of an interest in Côte de Beaune reds…

I am somewhat new to Burgundy (been buying Bordeaux futures for years) and would like to get some 2019s on futures/prearrival if possible. I did see that Gordon’s (Boston) is planning to offer some 2019 Jadot. Can anyone say what are some of the U.S. stores that will be offering some prearrival deals on 2019 Burgs. Thanks, Jim [cheers.gif]

1 Like

And now the money has been spent. Just picked up 6x each of '17 and '18 Lafarge Chenes.

1 Like

RyanC, I had placed an order for those wines at 3:30PM… website error did not go through… I called the store 2 hours later… was told they saw my order, sold some bottles to “an existing client”, and I could now get a couple 18s for 30% higher price “because the bottles were more rare” – I expressed my shock and they revised their offer to 20% higher than my order 2 hours ago… to which I ungraciously declined. Continental Wine & Spirits.

champagne.gif

Anyone who buys some 2019s from e.g. Lafarge, d’Angerville, Thomas Bouley, Thierry Glantenay, Voillot, etc, will not be disappointed.

William - thanks for the tip. Of all the producers whom you mentioned above, I am a big fun for : Thierry Glantenay.

One of the reasons is the price. In Quebec, Canada and for example : for vintage 2016 - Thierry Glantenay Santenot is at CA $ 82.75 wheres dAngerville CdDucs is at CA 288. For vintage 2017 Thierry Glantenay Santenot is at CA $81.25 whereas dAngerville Tailepieds is at CA $211.

Currently is Quebec Canada, Thierry Glantenay - Santenot ( and his other 2 1er ) from vintage 2018 - are just being released at around CA $81.75.

Due to your comments that 2018 is a sun-kiss vintage, I bought 3 bottles of Thierry Glantenay 2018 Volnay at CA $ 55. i opened one last week. The wine behaved and tasted like the mirror description - of TNs of the 2018 Charmes Chambertin by Gerald Raphet psoted by Mark Chatwin. It was like Calif/Oregon PN the 1st day and Burgundy the 2nd day…and indeed like wine from a Sun-Kiss vintage.

Meadows said ; 2019 CdBeaue is the best since vintage 1999 and 2019 CdNuits is the best since 2005.

To cut my long story, how would you compare Thierry Glantenay Volney 1er in vintage 2015, 2016. 2017 and 2018.

3 of his 1er crus Volnay are still available in Quebec, Canada for vintage 2016, 2017 plus 2018.

Your opinion will be much appreciated…for my buying (or back-filling ) decision - specifically - for vintage 2015.

Alan…same happened to me when 1999 Rousseau CdBeze was released in Quebec, Canada.

Luckily the manager of the SAQ store …forced…me ( and I reluctantly I agreed ) to buy the remaining bottles from him.

2016 is the most classic, 2017 the most immediate and charming, 2015 the most concentrated, and 2018 the most overtly ripe. In 2015, Santenots got a bit too ripe, it’s better balanced in the other three vintages.

My favorite wine from Thierry, especially in these warm years, might just be his Pommard Sausilles though. You can see the vineyard here: Google Maps

As you can see, it’s situated in a “combe”, so cooling breezes help keep things fresh. And Thierry’s vines in this parcel are very old.

1 Like

I will take that bet, since I may not be alive in five years! I was thinking more a 20% increase, year on year over two years. One catch, I get to deliver it in person if I lose…

1 Like

Sounds good! And if the end is really looking imminent five years from now, I will sub a mature vintage for the 2019 champagne.gif

1 Like

So… i know math is annoying… [wow.gif] but 20% yoy increase makes $220 in year 1, $456 in year 5… [wow.gif] [wow.gif] [wow.gif]

Yr 1- 220
yr 2- 264
yr 3- 316
yr 4- 380
yr 5- 456