2019/2020 Premox? Say it ain't so! (or Heat Damage?)

Popped a 2020 Boillot Meursault Genevrières tonight. Natural cork. Clearly darker than it should be. Little nose, palate is muted and honeyed.

Are we really still dealing with pox in 2020???

1 Like

I’ve had the 2020 Bourgogne Blanc that was in perfect condition with the caveat it likely spends a lot less time in barrel. I’ll be an unhappy camper if my Mouchère is like that.

Wow, more bad luck! Popped a 2019 Sauzet PM Perrières and it’s the same color, maybe darker. Natural cork again of course. Nose is waxy and honey. No need to taste…

OMG! So sorry to see that. I too thought this issue was resolved. Bummer.

As long as we’re dealing with whole bark corks, we are going to be dealing with random oxidation.

5 Likes

Except there’s a difference between random, natural oxidation and premox. I’ve tasted enough of both to be able to tell a difference. Premox kills the nose in an unnatural way. Regular oxydation can have a nice nose, just honeyed and still have good acid. Premox has no acid either. It’s a different beast.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the “difference between random, natural oxidation and premox?”

What do you think is the cause of one versus the other?

All premox I’ve known of has individual bottle variation within it. You have six bottles and maybe four are premoxed and two are fine.

2 Likes

I don’t know what the cause is, but it’s not just oxygen. There’s something inside the wine or bottle that causes it to age unnaturally.

Did you buy from the same place?

1 Like

The two bottles? No. One in 2020, the other in 2021 from different sources.

1 Like

Andrew_K

27m

I don’t know what the cause is, but it’s not just oxygen. There’s something inside the wine or bottle that causes it to age unnaturally.

Jasper Morris wrote an article a few years ago about a kind of faux premox he’d encountered that goes away with time. He didn’t have a good explanation, as I recall, but he had a lot of examples, and the suggestion was that the phenomenon was something other than normal oxidation but mimicked its sensory qualities. I don’t recall if his faux premoxed bottles showed such dark colors. Perhaps someone else will remember.

1 Like

It is disappointing, but I’m always a little puzzled by folks these days who are buying expensive white burgs these days under natural cork, and expecting no premox. I do buy some chablis under natural cork these days, but they are wines I plan not to age, and producers who have had pretty low premox rates. I do agree that having a 2020 premox is damn quick.

4 Likes

I’m going to do a video on this soon, just need to land on a premoxed bottle in my cellar as a prop. Might roll the dice with a 1996 Ramonet tonight.

10 Likes

3 Likes

Ok this doesn’t make any sense from a chemical point of view.

5 Likes

You’d still consider it premox after more than 25 years?

1 Like

Exactly!

I’m not a scientist, I just know what I sense. But it could just be the palate gets so overwhelmed by the other flavors. What’s your take on premox? Don’t just drive by the thread and take pot shots, at least add your own opinion!

1 Like

Gee Andrew - you could perhaps do a search. Premox has been discussed extensively since long before you arrived on the scene. Let’s just say that your explanation above does not correspond with how people much more experienced than you have experienced and understood it.

3 Likes

^ This. Who was it who said insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? It’s not remotely surprising that the problem is still happening, but it’s unbelievable that people are still spending real money on defective wine. There’s good white Burgundy under Diam now. Why buy anything else?

1 Like