2018 Zinfandel is outstanding

Have lots of Carlisle & Turley.

What other Zins are are at that price point? Martinelli comes to mind

The higher price point like Limerick Lane? Yeah, I can only think of the Martinelli wines (jackass hill, etc) and I believe Turley Hayne is up there (at least at retail if you can find it or auction). Oh…and I guess that Dark Matter project…but I’ve got zero interest in paying $250 (or whatever ridiculous price they’re trying to get) to find out what that wine is like.

I knew I liked you :wink:

Just saw the 2018 Ridge Three Valleys at my local Costco for 19.99.

After trying Turley Juvenile and Carlisle Sonoma County in the last few days, I can concur with this thread. Awesome wines.

These both needed lots of air but they are already really, really good. Turley probably a touch better for “now” drinking but I sensed a bit more structure in the Carlisle and think it may reward short- to mid-term aging more. Have also been through a half case of Bedrock OVZ over the last few months, and it also outstanding, tho perhaps a notch below these other two. (It’s also priced a notch below, so still awesome value.)

Feeling good about my decision to buy more zin than usual this year.

My Carlisle order (4 cases) arrived here yesterday. Deciding whether to pobega one or two.

Dude. Four cases! Pop one of those MOFOs! [cheers.gif]

Being an ATP member, Ridge just sent me a Geezer-teaser on the '18 claiming it is a cut above the norm.
Given that the Geyserville norm has been exceedingly good lately, I had to break my stop-buying-promise to myself and ordered a case.
On top of my generous discount I got free 2 day shipping.

I just shipped my son (in Chicago) a half case of ‘18 Juvie and another half case of ‘18 Biale “Black Chicken.” He should be very pleased.

I would say the opposite. The 2017 Zins I bottled last year are rather amazing from Howell Mountain, Calistoga and Dry Creek.

I agree with John - yes the vintage was difficult, but most of the '17 Zin I’ve tasted has exceeded my expectations. '18, however, is a step up.

2018 Turley Juvenile and 2018 Bedrock OVZ are out of control good, especially at $20 and $19 respectively.

I think the difficulty of a vintage (2017, in this case) is conditional upon the style. If the style relies upon being on the late edge of the fragile window, extended heat at harvest and delays due to labor shortage can push it well over the edge. On the other hand, if the style relies upon being on the earlier side of the window, heat at harvest may not have such a negative impact provided harvest is not unduly delayed.

I felt 2018 was an ideal vintage for our particular style, making it easy to hit the desired mark. 2018 appears to have been an ideal vintage in many areas for other styles as well.

Fred: This has a such an excellent point. It seems obvious — that certain producers’ style will allow them to make better wine in tricky vintages than their peers — but I never really though about it this way.

Vintages are not homogeneous. Conditions might favor some and punish others.

Thanks for popping in to share your thoughts every once in a while!

Baugher seems to think this one is special. Just bought a case.

Add the Limerick Lane “Banfield” (the old “Martinelli Road” vineyard adjacent to and down slope from “Jackass”) to the 2018 Zinfandel Winner’s Circle.

The 2018 Geyserville is right up there with very memorable zins. This was ready immediately out of the bottle. The CT notes on this so far are spot on.

First of all, can’t thank this board enough for introducing me to new producers. Recently jumped on the Once and Future list, and due to circumstances, got an offering. Took a flyer on a 6 pack, including the 2018 Old Hill Ranch based on reviews from all of you. Shipment arrived last Saturday, gave it about 6 hours to settle, popped and poured, and holy cow was this fantastic! Beautiful crimson purple in the glass, with just an unreal mouth feel, full of flavor. Just phenomenal effort. Easy top 2 zin’s I’ve ever had (props to Fred’s OMV zin as the other contender)

What timing. Mike’s intern Katie dropped off my wine yesterday and in the box are 4 Sonoma County Zins. Other than prepping for a Colonoscopy tomorrow I would pop one tonight.