2018 Zinfandel is outstanding

A very sophisticated Zin with menthol, dark fruits and licorice.

Awesome man - thank you!

Thank you for your sacrifice

OMFG!

I’m going to sleep on this and try some more tomorrow but my signature should say enough for now.

Hot damn, right to the signature line!?!? Now that’s some good zin!! Can’t wait for the full note!!

I had two of them, so I thought why not. They are only young once. Trust me, it wasn’t a sacrifice champagne.gif

Might need to pop a couple different 18’s for science

Just got the Limerick Lane allocations

Brian, you won’t convince me to open my 2018 Old Hill Ranch anytime soon :joy:

Edit: Forgot I opened a bottle in December, gave it a 94 :joy:

Yep, I took a quick look but definitley passing. The 1023 (easily my favorite and the only one that I’ve had any luck gaining interest/not declining with short term cellaring) is up to $80 now. I can get a whole lotta Bedrock and Carlisle for the price of 2 bottles of the 1023.

Side note…huge bummer they’re changing labels! Loved the vintage corkscrews!

So, if I have two bottles, should I open one now?

Of course, COVID has made it more of an opportunity to open wines earlier.

Meanwhile…we’re still waiting for Brian’s actual note on the 18 Once and Future Old Hill.

Maybe it was so damn good he lost the ability to type?? :wink:

Has anyone tasted the Kreck Wines Zins?

Life got in the way. Maybe tonight.

Has anyone tried any of the Ridge Zins/blends from '18 yet? Their “vintage report” sounds cautiously optimistic, and says the Zins are very good, but certainly doesn’t give the impression that they believe it is an exceptional/outstanding year. However, it’s hard to tell as a lot of their discussion focuses on Cabernet (and their Monte Bello), which was clearly more challenging than Zin in '18.

The Kreck Zins are very good. I really like the '17 Del Barba Vineyard.

2017 Kreck Wines Old Vine Zinfandel Del Barba Vineyard – The vineyard is situated in Oakley and the vines date back 130 years. Dark crimson in color. 14.7% ABV. Pretty nose of black fruits, citrus, peach and spice. Medium body with mouth watering acidity. Blackberry, salmonberry, spiced plums and pepper on the palate. Exceptional length on the finish. Charming Zinfandel from a heritage vineyard. Best over the next 2-4 years. $44 at the winery and retail. My rating: 93 points.

I also posted a note on the Teldeschi on my blog.

Cheers, Tom
IMG_1350-e1563677427800.jpg

Thanks, Tom.

Love Zin but having troubles justifying the prices

What Zins are you buying? I know you mentioned Limerick Lane, but those are now on the upper echelon in terms of pricing and I can no longer justify them either. Are you into any of the other producers mentioned in this thread- Bedrock, Carlisle, Once & Future, Ridge, etc? The individual wines vary a bit cost-wise, but overall, some of the best values in the wine world IMHO (Bedrock Old Vine zin at $19 from the mailing list is an absurd cost for a consistently excellent wine)