2018 Visit to Piemonte, Burgundy and Condrieu

CAVALLOTTO VISIT WITH GIUSEPPE CAVALLOTTO - Tenuta Bricco Boschis, Castiglione Falletto

I am a big fan of the ultra-traditional Barolos and Barberas produced by Cavallotto. I think that, for some reason I cannot identify, they are underrated and under-appreciated, given the quality of wine they typically produce.

Giuseppe Cavallotto told us that typically Barolos receive maceration for around 30 days. We pointed to Cavallotto’s rotofermenters but Giuseppe noted that they are only “to gently turn the grapes, we don’t break the skins”.

Giuseppe said that Cavallotto’s average vine age is 40-45 years, with some 60-65+ years old. They employ green harvest up to July or August. Cavallotto produces about 100,000 bottles per annum, 70% Nebbiolo.

Giuseppe said that the 2012 San Giuseppes and Vignolos were to be bottled in July or August 2018.

Giuseppe apologised that he couldn’t show us any San Giuseppes, due to where they were in the winemaking process. He mentioned that the 2011 San Guiseppe was “drinking well now”. He, also, said that, in his view, the 2001 San Guiseppe is presently drinking the best of all the vintages of their top Riservas.

I managed to acquire a bottle each of the 1997 and 2001 San Guiseppe ex-winery, the 2001 the last bottle they had for sale. I have found that Cavallottos of this era often have cork problems. However, I was pleased to find no problems with these two bottles when, upon returning home, I served them blind to friends at dinners. A friend served me, again blind, a 2009 San Guiseppe at one of these dinners, so I include the notes here.

Bottle tasting

• 2017 Cavallotto Piemonte Pinot Nero Pinner - Italy, Piedmont, Piemonte DOC
    100% Pinot Noir, made in a white wine style. Light red coloured. On bouquet, strawberries, raspberries, blood orange and grapefruit. A refreshing wine for a hot day. A good picnic wine. Red berry and citrus fruit. Totally dry.
  • 2017 Cavallotto Dolcetto d’Alba Vigna Scot - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Dolcetto d’Alba
    “From a hill in front of Bricco Boschis with a different soil, clay and limestone and no sand, unlike Bricco Boschis”, Giuseppe said. Bottled in June 2018, and described as “too young” by Giuseppe. He said that, for Cavallotto, “all our wines are important” noting that they green harvest Dolcetto. The Dolcetto had one year in neutral, large format oak. Dark colour. A nose of spices, blood and fur with smoky barbequed meats. I liked this wine. It was silky smooth, plush and opulent, but, as Giuseppe warned, a bit tight. Giuseppe described the wine as “elegant” saying “don’t open it in the first year – normally it will keep 2-3 years, but here more like 2 years only”.
  • 2016 Cavallotto Langhe Freisa - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    Cavallotto has 0.5 ha of Freisa vines. “Ten days’ maceration here”, said Giuseppe. Dark colour. “Oh, it’s a beautiful nose” said Thierry. Funky and a bit wild with wild blackberries and raspberries, bramble, barbequed venison and earth. I really enjoyed this wine. Very dark fruited and a bit feral (in a good way). Wild berries and dark plums, some metallic minerality. “Drink it with meat” said Giuseppe but “wait 2-3 years”. Giuseppe typically drinks his Freisas within about five years of release.
  • 2016 Cavallotto Barbera d’Alba Bricco Boschis Vigna del Cuculo - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d’Alba
    The “Cuculo” in the name refers to the cuckoo, which are sometimes found in the vineyard, Guiseppe told us. Eighteen months in neutral, large format wood. A nose of dark spices, blackcurrant and liquorice. On palate, the first impression is of the raging acidity, but this balances the wine and makes up for the lack of tannins. Milk chocolate, plums, cassis and liquorice. I normally like this Barbera but I found this version, this young, a bit difficult to assess. Give it at least 1-2 years before opening.
  • 2016 Cavallotto Langhe Nebbiolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    Bottled in May 2018 and again described by Giuseppe as “too young”. A serious black fruited nose of cherries, plums, liquorice and graphite. On palate, I was surprised by the quality here, thinking it Barolo-level. (Giuseppe said, “I agree. We could have labelled this wine as Barolo”.) A good volume of concentrated, plush, dark berried fruit packed around an austere, iron mineral core. Nice minerality and grip on the finish. Svelte tannins. Well balanced with precise acidity. An excellent buy.
  • 2013 Cavallotto Barolo Bricco Boschis - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A little darker in colour than the 2016. An attractive bouquet of black spices, espresso, liquorice and rose and violet florals. On palate, really serious volume and concentration. Large scaled and powerful. Good freshness and precision. Seamless, silky tannins. Quite elegant. A strong porcini character, also blackberries and other dark fruit, liquorice and minerals. A very good Barolo to cellar long term. “It’s open and easy now – after one year in bottle – but I think it will soon close down hard”, said Giuseppe. He didn’t say, once closed, how long he’d cellar it, but I’d imagine at least 5+ years.
  • 2011 Cavallotto Barolo Riserva Vignolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Giuseppe noted that there is more clay in the soil at this site. A “very intense” nose said Mark. Fresh and breezy, with notes of soil, dry underbrush, black fruit and dark rose perfumes. On palate, huge concentration and power on entry. Also serious dry extract and density on mid palate. Tactile but silky tannins. A lot of ripe – but not over-ripe – mainly dark berry fruit. The 14.5% alcohol is not over-prominent. A brilliant Riserva. Cellar 3-5+ more years.

Upon return home …

• 1997 Cavallotto Barolo Riserva Bricco Boschis Vigna San Giuseppe - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Bottle bought ex-winery and served blind. Opened and decanted three hours before serving, which, ideally, should have been earlier. Softly coloured, browning slightly at the rim. A strong, powerful bouquet of primary, fresh berry fruit, but perfumed showing both rose and violet florals. Also secondary, earthy, dry brushwood, creosote and porcini aromas. “The truffle is pronounced”, said Maciej. The next evening the bouquet had moved more secondary: smoky, more tarry, tobacco with a touch of citrus. On palate, on the first night, the 1997 had massive tannins and was quite austere at its core. It made the robust two 2005 red Burgundies served before it look quite petite. A superb Barolo, drinking comparatively young, even on the second evening. Sour cherries, showing both fresh and dried fruit, earth and iron, with a citric edge. The satiny texture, good acidity and fine grained tannins. Good length. In its drinking window now but no hurry needed.
  • 2001 Cavallotto Barolo Riserva Bricco Boschis Vigna San Giuseppe - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Bottle bought ex-winery and served blind. Opened and decanted four hours before drinking but it probably could have used more air. A superb Barolo, a little better than the 1997 San Giuseppe, I thought. A lovely bouquet of tar, black cherry, blackberry, violets and roses. Restrained, contained and a little austere on palate. Piercing minerality and beautiful sour cherry. “Very straight and direct”, said Nick. Very linear, driven and focused. Persistent and very long. Drink or hold.
  • 2009 Cavallotto Barolo Riserva Bricco Boschis Vigna San Giuseppe - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Served blind to me. A bouquet of dark cherries, black plums, smokey game meat, graphite and slatey minerals. In the mouth, precise, clean and very linear. Largely black fruited with liquorice, cloves and minerals. Fine tannins. Decent acidity. Good length. Good but not great, I’d doubt that this vintage of San Giuseppe will reach the heights of vintages like the 2001, 2004 or 2010.

Posted from CellarTracker

RISTORANTE BOVIO WITH LUCA - La Morra, Cuneo

Ristorante Bovio is a Piemontese institution, with its excellent, very traditional menu and deep Italian wine list. I had two excellent duck dishes: Cannelloni with duck, spinach and black truffle as entrée and Duck breast with griotte cherries, honey and caramalised onions as a main. Luca joined us and brought along a bottle of Fennochio. An excellent evening of food, wine and conversation, enjoyed in a great setting.

• 1989 Cavallotto Barolo Riserva Vignolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Rusty red colour. A complex, poignant bouquet of dry clay, tobacco, preserved and dried red fruit, old leather, burnt toffee and lemon zest. On palate, I saw this Barolo as evolved, not tertiary, and appropriately oxidised, not oxidative. The tannins are now perfectly melded with the fruit and there is sufficient primary fruit, for me, to match the acids. Fresh and dried red berry fruit and plums. Earth, tar and tobacco leaf. Complex and layered and beautiful with both my duck dishes. However, mine was the minority view having the Vignolo as wine of the dinner, with others suggesting it was perhaps too advanced.

• 2013 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo Bussia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Luca said that this wine saw about 40 days maceration on skins and, of course, only neutral, large format oak. Bright ruby. Dark berry, liquorice, mixed spice, citrus, earth and dry brushwood aromas. Dense, powerful and rich to drink. Clean with relatively fine tannins. Dried and fresh red and black fruit, dried herbs, earth and that citric edge. Quite tannic but enjoyable on the night with the duck dishes. Luca thought the 2013 would close up tight in about a year and would need long term cellaring. He thought it would be like their 1996s saying “2014, not 2013, is the vintage for mortals”.

• 2000 Azienda Agricola Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    From Magnum. Young-looking bright purplish colour. On bouquet, blackberries, dark cherries with a hint of blue fruit. Some spice and musk emerging with a touch of secondary autumn leaf and old leather saddle. On entry to the palate, sweet-seeming tannins. Lovely mouthfeel, quite silky. Well balanced with tannins and acids nicely aligned, however with a little grip on the quite long finish. Fresh and preserved raspberries, cherries and plums, spices, earth and a little tobacco. “At its peak now”, said Luca. Very good.

Just loving this report. Tasting notes are super descriptive and easy to get a sense of the wines. Love all the detail. And yes agree that 01 Cavallottos are really special.

Thank you for all the reviews and details. A fantastic visit and report on many of my favorites … and many I have been meaning to try.

This is a great read - thanks for posting. Not only do I have a number of the wines, I was there last year and visited some of the same wineries and ate at some of the same restaurants. It’s like I’m there again and loving every minute.

What a trip you guys had! Our thoughts on the Ovellos are pretty similar.

Piedmont. Burgundy and condrieu…? Dayammmm we aren’t even outta piedmont and it’s already an epic trip…

I recently had the 2006 Oddero Barolo Vigna Rionda and agreed it was good, but better was to be had (the Roagna alongside was a bit better). I felt the Oddero was a bit disjointed and a bit oaked.

Enoteca del Barbaresco will ship to the states. I haven’t purchased anything, but they will send you a price list if you ask. To quote,
“it’s very easy to ship in the USA: our shipping company (IWS) works very well.
n. bottles USA CANADA
1 € 50,00 € 60,00
3 € 60,00 € 100,00
6 € 88,00 € 125,00
12 € 148,00 € 225,00
18 € 235,00 € 360,00
24 € 280,00 € 455,00
30 € 365,00 € 530,00
36 € 430,00 € 640,00
42 € 515,00
48 € 560,00
DAZI inclusi non inclusi”

All, thanks …

David, I hope to taste with you again some day …

Next day we began at Fenocchio:

VISIT TO GIACOMO FENOCCHIO WITH CLAUDIO AND LUCA - Bussia, Monforte d’Alba

Luca kindly arranged a tasting for us with Claudio Fenocchio at Giacomo Fenocchio.

Five generations of Fenocchios have made wine in Bussia since 1894. Giacomo Fenocchio, Claudio’s father, took over the estate in the 1960s and built it into what it is today. Claudio assumed control of the family winery between 1989 and 1990. Since Giacomo’s time, the house style has been ultra-traditionalist. Claudio said that, in his time in charge, he had "improved the quality” and “aimed to produce cleaner wines”. At our visit, he said “70-80% of wine is the soil”. He only employs large botte for his élevage and typically undertaking 40 or more day macerations on skins for his Barolos. The exception is his limited Bussia Riserva which sees fully 90 day’s maceration.

Claudio manages about 7 hectares of vineyards in Barolo, Castiglione Falletto and Bussia. The Villero vineyard holding is from Claudio’s wife’s family. Total average annual production is about 3,000 cases.

Claudio talked about his recent Barolo vintages:

-2017 “was a hot year where I tried to retain some freshness in the wines”, but he expects it to be “an accessible, early drinking vintage”.

-2016 “is like a smaller version of 2013”.

-2015 was a cooler year than 2011 or 2012, producing relatively approachable wines.

-2014 is much more accessible than 2013. Luca calls 2014 “the year of the spice”.

-2013 is a “great year” but “very slow developing”.

-2007 and 2009 Fenocchio Barolos, he noted, will be “ready to drink soon”.

Claudio gave us a barrel tasting of current vintages in botte and tank, followed by a bottle tasting – mainly 2014 Barolos – upstairs on his deck, overlooking his Bussia vines.

Once home, after my trip, I opened an ex-auction 1982 Bussia and served it blind to friends at a wine dinner, so I add my note here.

Barrel tasting

• 2017 Giacomo Fenocchio Barbera d’Alba Superiore - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d’Alba Superiore
    Tank sample. A bouquet of milk chocolate, blackcurrants and a little spice. Silky and smooth in the mouth. Blackberries, blackcurrant and chocolate. I quite liked this Barbera, finding it approachable and a little soft. “It’s a warm year so it’s low acidity”, said Claudio.
  • 2017 Giacomo Fenocchio Langhe Nebbiolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    Tank sample. A perfumed, ripe and clean bouquet of black cherries and other dark fruit and gentle dark florals. On palate, pure, clean, ripe – mainly black – fruit. Attractive and plush. Svelte and silky mouthfeel, tannins relatively fine. However, again, lesser acidity and definition. “I tried to retain freshness in a hot year”, said Claudio. Decent length.
  • 2017 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo Villero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Barrel sample. From a 1 ha vineyard, south-west facing at 300 metres above sea level. A soil of clay, calcareous sediments and iron, vines up to 65 years old. Maceration of 40 days. Spices, bright dark fruit, rose perfumes and tar on the nose. Again, for a 2017, rich and ripe fruit on palate, although possessing greater volume and concentration than the Langhe Nebbiolo. Quite plush black berry, plum and cherry fruit, with a little rocky minerality. The tannins a little soft but some tannic grip on the finish.
  • 2016 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo Cannubi - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Barrel sample. From a 0.5 ha vineyard, south-east facing at 280 metres above sea level. A Tortonian soil with marl and sand, vines around 30 years old. I preferred this Cannubi over the Villero. A very spicy bouquet with red cherries, redcurrants and rose perfume. Again, opulent, ripe fruit but, as Andrew said, “more phenolic punch here”. Still greater volume of fruit than with the Villero. Attractive “chalky tannins”, as Thierry observed, that led Claudio to note “a little limestone in the soil”.
  • 2015 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo Castellero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Barrel sample from a 45 year old cask. From a 0.8 ha vineyard, west facing at 280 metres above sea level. A Tortonian soil with marl and sand, vines around 30 years old. Like the other 2015 Barolos, to be bottled at the end of 2018. A succulent, sweet-seeming bouquet of red cherries, raspberries and other largely red fruit. And “olives” noted Luca. On palate fleshy, rich and ripe red berries. Surprisingly approachable, straight from the barrel. Very good, I thought.
  • 2015 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo Villero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Barrel sample. Another ripe seeming nose of darker fruit, minerals, earth and herbs. I much preferred this Villero to the – admittedly young – 2017 Villero. “Layered, elegant fruit, silky tannins”, as Thierry noted. However, serious structure and concentration with real grip on the finish.
  • 2015 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo Bussia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Barrel sample. Five hectares here at the home vineyard, south-west facing at 300 metres above sea level. A soil of clay, calcareous sediments and iron, vines averaging around 35 years old. On bouquet, dark, very plush, opulent fruit with liquorice, graphite and some faint florals. In the mouth, a large volume of succulent, juicy fruit. Palate staining. Very full. Sweet-seeming, but large scaled tannins. Still, it’s very approachable for a barrel sample.
  • 2015 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo 90 di Riserva Bussia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Claudio has made this special Riserva since 2008. It receives a massive 90 days maceration on the skins. This Bussia will see five years in botte and will be released in 2021. Between 2,000 and 4,000 bottles of this Riserva are released each year. The lightest colour of the wines sampled so far. A dark fruited, intense nose of minerals and spices. So silky and seamless on palate that the structure and volume of the fruit is disguised. Iron fist in a velvet glove. Very long. The wine of the barrel tasting and potentially even better than the 2012 Bussia Riserva.

Bottle tasting

• 2016 Giacomo Fenocchio Langhe Freisa - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    A nose of wild raspberries and blackberries, bramble, dried herbs and hints of pepper. In the mouth, juicy, full and ripe, if a little soft around the edges. “To drink with duck”, Luca said. “It’s 2016 elegance”, said Thierry. “No”, said Claudio “it’s more classic than that”. It has punch but seems to evolve slowly across the palate. Nice savouriness and acidity, I liked it. “This Freisa can age" said Claudio.
  • 2014 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo Castellero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    There was 30% less of this wine in 2014. On bouquet, tons of spice, putting me in mind of the spices on a traditional Christmas cake, with raspberries and red cherries and a hint of cranberries. “Minty, glazed ginger”, said Mark. Approachable, lesser weight Barolo with good acidity. Not my top Barolo of the bottle tasting.
  • 2014 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo Villero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A step up, I thought. More black cherries than red, menthol and earth, with hints of orange peel and cinnamon, thyme and cumin spices. On palate, not a huge, dense Barolo but with very good drive, power and persistence. Dark fruited, savoury and earthy, with a little of that orange peel. A mineral, gravelly core. Fine grained tannins. Racy, refreshing acidity. Elegant and quite long, with a savoury, dry finish. Relatively approachable now but still a Barolo for 8-10+ year’s cellaring, I’d think.
  • 2014 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo Bussia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Better again. The bouquet suggests succulent, primary, juicy fruit. Blackberries, dark cherries and dark plums with minerals. The Bussia follows through on palate with plenty of ripe, rich dark berry fruit, and earth with minerals. Quite structured with grippy tannins. It seems to have greater volume than the Villero yet has 2014 refinement and elegance. It has persistent, precise acidity but needs a minimum of five more years to uncoil more fully. Very good.
  • 2014 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    As Claudio said, the Barolo Normale is basically a Bussia, mainly from younger vines (around 20 years of age). In 2014, production was down from the normal 9,000 bottles to around 6,000. Maceration of around 40 days on skins, then in large format, neutral oak for three years. “Good aromatics”, said Thierry. Bright red fruit, ginger, spices, earth and dried herbs on the nose. Accessible on palate. A good entry level Barolo. Lighter bodied with red fruit and a herbal edge. Some might find the Barolo a little too herbaceous but I thought it was in good balance.
  • 2012 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo 90 di Riserva Bussia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A noticeably paler ruby colour (due to the longer maceration). A lovely, complex bouquet of citrus, spices, florals, red fruits, tobacco and earth. A beautiful, traditional Barolo to drink. Very detailed. Preserved and fresh red fruit. Rusty, spicy, earthy, savoury and citric. Something about those last two flavour elements took me back to last night’s excellent, traditionally made 1989 Vignolo. It needs some years cellar time, I’d guess 8-10+ more. One of the wines of the trip.

Once I was home I opened …

• 1982 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo Bussia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    An ex-auction bottle with good provenance from a NZ restaurant. A good cork but a murky colour, which worried me. But I need not have worried … A poignant, ethereal bouquet of dried red cherries and plums, raisins, redcurrants, clay and dry brushwood with faint red rose perfume. On palate, evolved and slipping from secondary to tertiary, the tannins falling away. Dried and preserved red fruit and tobacco with Campari. A little raisiny and oxidised. A lovely Barolo.

1 Like

VISIT TO MASSOLINO

We last visited Massolino when renovations to the winery in 2015 were in full swing. They are now fully realised and this is one very modern, impressive, stylish-looking winery. Alessandro gave us a quick tour where he explained the traditional winemaking that takes place in this very clean and orderly, state of the art facility. Massolino only uses large format, neutral oak and, for Barolos, typically macerates on the skins for periods between 35 and 45 days. They do not use a rotofermenter.

Alessandro also showed us an experiment Massolino are doing with 2017 Riesling and 2017 Nebbiolo in terracotta amphorae.

Alessandro mentioned that two hail storms in 2014 meant that there was no 2014 Parussi.

• 2016 Massolino Langhe Nebbiolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    From 12-15 year old vines. “It’s a little 2016 Barolo”, said Alessandro. An attractive nose of spices and polished black fruit with some minerals. In the mouth, good freshness and purity. Lighter bodied and elegant. Sleek with smooth, refined tannins. Steely minerality. Good at this level.
  • 2014 Massolino Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Alessandro said that the base Barolo was made with grapes from five Serralunga vineyards – three warmer and two cooler sites – and, this year, from Parussi, where some grapes could be saved. “With this wine we try for a balanced expression – Massolino’s calling card”, noted Alessandro. A breezy, chalky, mineral black fruited bouquet. Linear, precise and driven. Light bodied and elegant. Dark fruit and minerals. Silky and somewhat Pinot-like, not at all grippy. Again, a good wine at this level.
  • 2014 Massolino Barolo Margheria - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    On bouquet, more bright, red fruit than the base Barolo, with notes of fresh raspberries, red cherries as well as cherries under spirit, minerals and red liquorice. Less concentration in the mouth than is suggested by the nose. However, there is plenty of power and persistence here. Seriously structured. Energetic. Fine grained, firm tannins. Alessandro’s advice was not to open either the Margheria or Parafada for 5-6 years. That seemed to me like an underestimate.
  • 2014 Massolino Barolo Parafada - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    For release in September 2018. Alessandro described the Parafada as “typical Serralunga, marl and full south exposure with 65-70 year old vines”. Much darker colour than the Margheria. More powerful aromas than with the Margheria. “A soil inflection” noted Thierry, with slatey minerals, black liquorice, cherries and dark plums. Drinking it, the Parafada was tighter and more backward than the Margheria. Linear. Structured with serious dry extract. Red and black fruit and minerals with iron at its core. It needs 8+ years, I would guess.
  • 2012 Massolino Barolo Riserva Vigna Rionda - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A Barolo with four years in (relatively neutral) oak, followed by two years in bottle. “2012 is an interesting, classical vintage”, Alessandro opined. The best wine at the tasting. A beautiful bouquet. Complex, a compote of red and black berries and cherries, cinnamon and other baking spices and rose petals. Closed on palate. Huge fruit volume, structure and power but very well balanced. A complex flavour profile but with slate and iron at its centre. It needs 8-10 more years in the cellar.

LUNCH WITH LORENZO AT OSTERIA VEGLIO - La Morra, Piemonte

Our friend, Lorenzo from Vietti, joined us for lunch.

I have heard good things about Osteria Veglio, having not dined there before. I was not disappointed. The goat dish I had was excellent. Again the wine list was good and deep but was mainly recent vintages. We enjoyed:

• 2013 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Monprivato - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Popped and poured. Cherry red colour with amber highlights. A beautiful bouquet of bright red cherries, raspberries and red plums, a compote of red berries. Also, a touch dried herbs and nascent rose florals. On palate, slowing opening in the glass. Ripe and rich but elegant and very well balanced. Morello cherries and other red fruit with some herbs and some austere minerality. It paired beautifully with my goat dish. Sweet seeming tannins. Racy acidity and great precision. Mid weight at most and still tightly coiled. Very long. A brilliant wine. Delicious now but it’ll need 5-10+ more years before it’s at anything like its best, I would think.

VISIT TO GIACOMO CONTERNO WITH ROBERTO CONTERNO - Monforte d’Alba

Next we visited - what I consider to be - Italy’s best winemaker and winery: Roberto Conterno at Giacomo Conterno. We were greeted by Roberto Conterno’s assistant and translator Stephanie.

Stephanie described the Conterno portfolio, giving us some numbers on Monfortino production:

• typically 7,000 to 10,000 bottles per annum.

• 2013: 28,000 bottles.

• 2014: 17,000 bottles.

Stephanie said “you can ask Roberto if he’s doing 2015 Monfortino but he won’t tell you”. So I did but he wouldn’t. However, later in the tasting, Roberto surprised me by saying that he thought it was “possible” for some of his Arione, to go into Monfortinos, even from as early as 2015.

Roberto noted that his Barolos typically see maceration on skins for three or four weeks and of course he only uses large botti with neutral oak.

We got a quick tour of his immaculately clean and orderly winery on our way to a barrel tasting of six wines currently in botte.

• 2017 Giacomo Conterno Barbera d’Alba Cerretta - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d’Alba
    I was very impressed by this Barbera, more so than by the Francia. Roberto commented that “2015 to 2017 favour Barbera. It likes warm vintages”. Vivid indigo red colour. An attractive, elegant bouquet of bright red fruit - red cherries, raspberries and red currants - chalk and gentle rose perfumes. “A very straight wine”, said Roberto. Vertical, precise, focussed and direct with that chalky minerality very evident. (I thought back years earlier to seeing the white limestone soil of Cerretta from the Germano Ettore balcony above Prapò, and mentioned this to Roberto. He however corrected me and said that Conterno’s plot is, in fact, on the edge between limestone and clay soil, and is actually more on clay). A lovely Barbera in the making. Roberto said that his Barberas are for drinking within 8-10 years of release. He said that “you can drink them afterwards but, after that, the fruit slowly disappears”.
  • 2017 Giacomo Conterno Barbera d’Alba Francia - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d’Alba
    Another lovely bouquet, but with gravelly minerals, rather than chalk. Also some dark fruit with the red fruit and hints of dark florals. Very different on palate than the Cerretta. Broader with wild berry and smoky game meat elements. More black fruited with blackberries, cherries and plums and even a suggestion of blue fruit. “More acidity?”, I asked. “No”, said Roberto, “not when you look at the numbers but you get that impression because the Francia does not have the apparent fruit sweetness of the Cerretta”. “Very different”, said Thierry, “a more classical Barbera”. “Two valid expressions of Barbera”, agreed Roberto. Again, a top quality Barbera.
  • 2015 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cerretta - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Roberto noted for his 2015 Barolos, a similarity with his 2011 Barolos, in terms of their “structure and approachability”. A very appealing Barolo, I could see the familial similarity with the 2017 Barbera. An expressive bouquet of dark cherry fruit, blackberries and other mainly dark fruit, dried herbs and wet limestone. A precise, focussed, mineral infused entry to the palate. It spreads out across the mid palate and finishes very long and dry. A core of lovely black and red berry fruit. Attractive, quite racy acidity. Silky but with some tannic grip and bite on the back palate.
  • 2015 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Arione - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    For me, even better than the Cerretta Barolo, with more elegance and finesse. To be bottled as a single vineyard bottling in June 2019. The vines planted in the mid 1960s to the 1990s, Roberto said. He also noted that he has halved the yield from Arione from Gigi Rosso’s time. A beautiful bouquet of opulent, bright cherries, redcurrants and other, mainly red, fruit. Perfumed with rose and violet florals. On palate, a fuller bodied, more detailed expression than the Cerretta. Savoury nuances - straw, hay and spices - with red fruit and rocky minerality. I said to Roberto that it seemed intense, but not as acid driven as the Cerretta. Roberto said that this is “true, on the numbers”. “The Arione is very elegant, the most approachable of the three … I like how it expands in the mid palate”, said Thierry. An exciting new Cru for Conterno. I can now see how the quality here means it could contribute to the Monfortino Riserva.
  • 2015 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Francia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    From 1974 planted vines, said Roberto. Again, to be bottled in June 2019. Another classy Barolo Cru expression. Redolent on the nose with spices - I thought cinnamon, cumin and a pinch of black pepper - dark florals, red cherries and some kirsch. On palate, very rich and powerful. Mainly red fruit - cherries, currants and a touch of cranberries - with spices, earth, brushwood and slatey minerals. Satiny tannins. Well balanced and quite long.
  • 2014 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva Monfortino - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Roberto introduced the Monfortino by saying that “colder conditions are always in favour of the Barolo. We picked late between 25-27 October but by then had had two months of beautiful weather”. Roberto pointed out his three Botti of his 2014 Riserva. A stunning bouquet, complex and layered, showing cassis, cherries, gentle spices, floral notes, earth, smokey meats and dry brushwood. Similarly multi-layered and detailed on palate with many levels of fruit, floral, spice and savoury nuances. Seamless and precise with lovely acidity. Not massive scale and structure but beautifully balanced and proportioned. Very long, I was still tasting the wine as I walked out of the winery. As good as any wine I tasted on the trip. A great wine in the making.

VISIT TO VIETTI - Castiglione Falletto

At lunch Lorenzo had mentioned how good he thought Vietti’s 2016 Barolos would be, describing 2016 as “a wonderful vintage - powerful and balanced”. We however did not get to do any barrel tasting at Vietti … He also mentioned that he had recently drunk a 1996 Vietti Villero that needed more time.

At the winery we got to taste through the full set of 2014 and 2015 Barolos in bottle. To me, Vietti is all class, clearly one of the best producers in all of Barolo, and these wines all ranged from good upwards in terms of quality. Even though the 2015 Cru were only bottled the week before our tasting, as a set, I rated them as superior to the very good 2014s.

Adverse weather prevented a 2014 Brunate being produced, with all the salvaged fruit, and some Ravera fruit, going into the Castiglione.

When I got home Nick opened a superb 2001 Villero, so I include the note here.

• 2017 Vietti Roero Arneis - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Roero
    We were told that this 2017 was the product of a challenging, hot year. A nose of yellow spices, pear, citrus and hay. On palate, fresh with ripe orchard and some citric fruit. Also a dash of pineapple juice. However, lacking the precision and more straightforward than the very good 2016 version of this wine from Vietti. Also better, in all of our opinions, than the recent 2017 Bruno Giacosa Arneis.
  • 2015 Vietti Barbera d’Alba Scarrone - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d’Alba
    Served beside the La Crena. The non-old vines version of this wine (vines around 30 years old). I preferred the Scarrone over the La Crena. A more lifted, attractive bouquet of blackberries and other dark fruit, chalky minerals and a whisper of dark florals. Brighter fruit on palate than the La Crena. More ethereal and elegant but with a slightly wild berry element and more prominent acidity.
  • 2015 Vietti Barbera d’Asti Superiore Nizza La Crena - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Barbera d’Asti Superiore Nizza
    Served beside the Scarrone. From 80-85 year old vines. A deeper, more vibrant purplish red colour than the Scarrone. A more weighty, earth-bound black-fruited bouquet also showing more oak than the Scarrone. More substance and espresso, bramble and bracken elements. On palate as well the oak was more evident, but not to an off-putting degree, for me.
  • 2015 Vietti Langhe Nebbiolo Perbacco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    An ochre red colour. Nice red fruited aromatics. A relatively light bodied wine to drink soon with salumi e formaggi. Red currants and raspberries, earth and red liquorice. Straightforward and enjoyable.
  • 2014 Vietti Barbaresco Masseria - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    This Barbaresco has been made by Vietti since 1964 and receives the same oak treatment as is typical for the Barolos. A largely red fruited bouquet – cherries and currants – with dry clay, brush and dried herbs. Quite approachable on the day. Succulent and fruit forward. Dark red fruit. Spicy, savoury and earthy with some dried leaf. Seeming higher acidity and lesser bodied. As is often the case, I liked this Barbaresco very much. However, it may soon close and needs 5-10 years in the cellar.
  • 2014 Vietti Barolo Castiglione - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Vietti made no Brunate in 2014, so the salvageable grapes from there, and some from Ravera, are in this wine. Attractive red fruited aromatics, raspberries, red cherries and even some strawberries, spices and rose florals. Only medium bodied. Very accessible, seemingly ready to go now (but I’d probably give it another 2+ years in bottle). Very elegant and refined. Sleek, fine tannins and good fresh acidity. At normal pricing it would be good value for money.
  • 2014 Vietti Barolo Rocche di Castiglione - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A huge step up in quality here. The best of the 2014s. An aromatic but serious nose of cherries and other largely red fruit and rocky and steely minerals. Also very serious on palate. Real substance, structure and intensity. Presently, actually, a bit of a beast. Our host said: “It’s not like a 2014 Barolo, it’s like a normal Rocche”. Superb. Not far behind the 2015 Rocche in quality. The 2014 will need 8-10+ years in the cellar.
  • 2014 Vietti Barolo Ravera - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    As always with the Vietti Ravera, this Cru is the most traditionally made, seeing the least non-neutral oak. Compared with the Rocche a ‘lighter’, more immediately aromatic nose red cherries, red currants and other red fruit, cinnamon and other spices and touches of rose petal. Although it lacks the stature and volume of the Rocche, this is another special Barolo. Fresh, red fruited and seamless, with sleek, spherical tannins on entry. It has some additional intensity and tannic grip across the mid palate and on the long finish.
  • 2014 Vietti Barolo Lazzarito - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A more closed bouquet than the last two Cru. Iron, granite and some black fruit with minty notes and touches of violets. On palate, the most tight and unyielding of the 2014s. Serious ferric minerality and impenetrable dark fruit, with suggestions of menthol and mint. This wine definitely needs 10+ years in the cellar to begin to uncoil.
  • 2015 Vietti Barolo Brunate - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Like the other 2015 Cru only bottled last week but not showing any bottle shock. A nose of dark spices, new leather, wet dark soil, balsamico and black and red cherries. In the mouth, similar flavours, particularly earthy and spicy, with graphite minerality. Immediately on this first 2015, more fruit intensity and structure than for the 2014s. Very long.
  • 2015 Vietti Barolo Rocche di Castiglione - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A beautiful Barolo. Wine of the tasting. A gorgeous bouquet. A red fruit compote – red cherries, raspberries, cranberries and strawberries – with cinnamon and other baking spices and a top note of delicate rosebud perfumes. On the palate, a soft, sweet entry of red berries. Then spices and minerals. Rounded, plump but chalky tannins. Serious mid and back palate intensity and weight. Excellent length, finishing on those spices and minerals.
  • 2015 Vietti Barolo Ravera - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Another beautiful nose. More red fruit but not quite as pungent as with the Rocche, more ethereal. Then touches of lemon juice, minerals, spices and rose florals. In the mouth, are red berries, cherries and plums with baked earth, spices and hints of mint. Refreshing, precise acidity. After the entry, serious architecture and power. A long dry finish. My second favourite wine of the tasting.
  • 2015 Vietti Barolo Lazzarito - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A much more restrained, diffident bouquet, but one suggesting serious latent power. Notes of red cherries, plums, crushed rocks, earth and wet iron. On palate, huge structure and intensity. Palate staining. It gives the impression of kirsch or red-skinned plums under spirit around a core of earth and iron. Impressive, quite racy acidity. A wine to bury at the back of your cellar for 20 years.
  • 2001 Vietti Barolo Riserva Villero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    After I got back home from my trip, Nick served this wine non-blind after my excellent 2001 Cavallotto San Giussepe. The Vietti was even better than the Cavallotto and is one of my wines of the year. A lovely bouquet of tar, black spices, earth and lifted dark florals. On palate, serious depth and volume, intensity and power, even more than for the Cavallotto. Also, more detail and nuance of flavour. A full peacock’s tail of flavours. Multi-layered. Well balanced. Tannins and acids well integrated. The Villero had a four hour full decant and airing, which was about right. On the evidence of this bottle, it is at the start of a long drinking plateau.

DINNER AT VINOTECA CENTRO STORICO IN SERRALUNGA D’ALBA

If you said to me that on my next trip to Piemonte I was only allowed to have one restaurant meal, I’d have that meal at Centro Storico. The food is good, honest, typical Piemontese fare, the wine list is long, the atmosphere is great but it is the proprietor, Alessio Cighetti, who makes the experience, for me, quintessential Piemonte. If he’s not too busy on a night, Alessio is a great guy to talk about Barolo with.

We asked Alessio to choose a couple of wines for us to drink that he rated but that we would not have heard of. He chose:

• 2013 Grasso Tiziano Barolo Briccolina - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Alesso said that this wine is from “a great site among the Grand Crus of Serralunga”. The vines were planted in 1967 and 3,000 bottles of this wine were made. Popped and poured. I found an off-putting level of spicy oak on the bouquet (and then on the palate). Alessio explained that this was the first vintage for the wine so a brand new large format botte was used for the élevage. Beyond the oak were perfumes of cherries, cassis, Serralunga iron, cranberries and nascent dark florals. In the mouth, there were nice rounded tannins. Also, blackberries, dark plums, espresso and dark soil, around an iron core. I agreed with Alessio that the wine showed “real Serralunga power”. Initially the finish was very tannic but later on in the evening more fruit was beginning to show through. Hold for 8-10 years. Excellent potential here.

• 2011 Elio Sandri Barolo Riserva Perno - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Lifted, bright, luscious 2011-typical aromatics. Notes of blackberries, black spices, dark cherries, liquorice, dark florals and lots of menthol. I preferred this Barolo. At only seven years of age, it was quite approachable. Muscular with pure, ripe fruit showing that 2011 richness. Thierry said, “I really like this – it has sweet 2011 fruit but under control”. It was a surprise to be told that the alcohol was 15%, it hid it well. I would still be inclined to cellar this wine 3-4 more years.

More to come in a few days …

A great report, Howard, and great fun to read. Don’t know how I missed your first postings a few weeks ago.

FYI, the Vigna Elena is unique in being planted entirely to nebbiolo rosé, which is genetically distinct from (though closely related to) nebbiolo and is generally shunned by other producers for being too light in color and having less tannin and acid. In Barbaresco, the Marchese di Gresy Martinenga is 20-30% rosé, and some other producers blend a little because it quite aromatic, but Cogno is the only winery to make a 100% nebbiolo rosé wine.

That might well be why it seemed quite advanced. Of course, after 21 years, it could be a less than perfect cork, too. And '97 was a warm year with less structure, generally.

When we visited Cogno later in the week, Walter told us 1997 was the first vintage of this wine. This makes this showing even more impressive considering how young the vines were at the time. Howard will correct me if I’m wrong; you might have noticed that the man takes a lot of notes…!

Thanks John. Thierry is right. Walter did say that 1997 was the first vintage of Vigna Elena. I understand that the nebbiolo rosé vines that are used for Vigna Elena were planted in 1991, so the vines would have been quite young when the 1997 was made … I do not believe that the issue with this 1997 we tasted was the grape type. I have no problem with the fact that Cogno’s top wine uses nebbiolo rosé. When I compare Cogno wines of the same vintage I almost always prefer the Vigna Elena over the Bricco Pernice or the straight Ravera …

Notes of our Cogno visit are coming soon …

Interesting that Cogno planted the nebbiolo rosé. I assumed it was there before.

In his treatise, Ian D’Amata extolls nebbiolo rosé for its aromatics, but he does say that it tends to produce less long-lived wines because it is lower in acid and tannin than nebbiolo.

Sadly, I was not offered the Elena when I visited two years ago. Don’t know why I didn’t think to ask for it!

This thread has been great and I have enjoyed reading it but I’m getting a bit worried that are we ever going to get to Burgundy or even Condrieu…

Mikko, sorry for the delay … the Christmas break at least gave me the time to finish Piemonte notes …

2018 VISIT TO BROVIA WITH ALEX SANCHEZ - Castiglione Falletto

Azenda Agricola Brovia was founded in 1863. It remains in the hands of the same family.

Under winemaker and co-owner Alex Sanchez, Brovia adopts a traditional, non-interventionist winemaking approach. Alex said that in his work, “The main thing I do is I try to preserve the terroir of the wines”. Brovia is 100% organic and certified. Typical maceration periods for Barolos are four weeks and Sanchez mainly uses neutral, large Slovenian casks.

Typically Brovia produces 60,000 to 70,000 bottles of wine per annum. About half of this is from younger vines – Barbera, Dolcetto, Nebbiolo, Freisa and Arneis – and the rest from Brovia’s four Barolo sites.

Brovia has three Barolo vineyards in Castiglione Falletto and one in Serralunga d’Alba:

• Rocche dei Brovia: The Brovia parcel (1.5 hectares) of this vineyard faces south-east and sits at 350 metres altitude. The soil here is largely sandy, often lending the Cru a certain elegance. The vines were planted in 1966.

• Villero: This 1.5 hectare vineyard faces south-west at an altitude of 340 metres. The vines were planted in 1961.

• Garblèt Sué (also referred to as the “Fiasco” vineyard) is 0.7 ha on south/south-east slopes at an altitude of 250 metres with soil that is predominantly limestone. The vines were planted in 1970 and 1979.

• Brea Vigna Ca’mia in Serralunga. This is a one hectare vineyard planted in Nebbiolo in 1955. The exposure is south-east and the altitude is 350 metres.

Alex talked about his recent vintages and harvests:

• 2010: “For our 2010 Barolos, wait five years from now”.

• 2011: “Now is the perfect time to drink our 2011s”.

• 2013: “Give my 2013s 3-5+ more years” but they are not “impossible wines” and they “will not remain closed for as long as 2010s. They will however go 10-15 years, easily”.

• 2014: Due to weather conditions being bad, particularly in Castiglione Falletto, in the year, only one, blended, unique Barolo was made, the Unio. Normally, in a vintage, Brovia will produce 40,000 bottles of Barolo, being approximately half the Normale and half the Cru. In 2014 they produced only 20,000 bottles of Unico and no Normale. The grapes came from a selected part of Brea and two of the Castiglione sites (Alex did not specify which).

• 2015: “2015-2017 were nice vintages, all on the warm side”.

• 2016: “2016 was a late harvest after a cool spring and warm summer. It seems like a classic vintage with nice structure and freshness”. Of the three vintages, for his Barolos, Alex rates 2016 as the best (“a little more classical”). He said that his “2016s will be somewhere between my 2012s and 2013s in style”.

• 2017: “2017 was warm and dry. The vines were well behaved”. Alex is impressed by his 2017s. They have turned out “fresher than I had expected”.

• 2017 Fratelli Brovia Roero Arneis - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Roero
    From bottle. A pale, watery colour. An attractive nose of cinnamon and other spices, pears, lemons and rocky minerals. Crisp with fresh acidity. Also, pleasing texture and oily viscosity. Good mid palate weight and volume. For me, a better Arneis than either the 2017 Giacosa or the 2017 Vietti I recently tried.
  • 2016 Fratelli Brovia Barbera d’Alba Sorì del Drago - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d’Alba
    Vivid crimson colour. A nice nose suggesting milk chocolate, dark plums, liquorice, blackberries and charred game meats. On palate, serious weight and power. Dark fruit, cassis and high cacao chocolate. Decent acidity. The 14.5% alcohol relatively seamless. Good Barbera. “A classic, easy drinking Barbera”, said Alex.
  • 2014 Fratelli Brovia Barolo Unio - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Alex said that “Unio” was Latin for “unite”. The sole Barolo made from fruit that could be salvaged from the Barolo sites in a difficult weather year. A breezy, lifted ethereal bouquet of spices, rose buds, red cherries and citrus. “Nice, complex aromatics”, said Alex. On palate, a lighter weight Barolo than is typical from Brovia. “Very different from our Normale and our typical Cru”, said Alex. “Very interesting. A nice quality vintage. Soft tannins and good freshness …”. I noted higher than normal, but not exaggerated, acidity. Alex continued, “… in pinot noir style. It will evolve well in the next 5-10 years, because of that good acidity”. Alex suggested it may have a 15 year life, but that the longevity “could surprise on the upside”. I liked the wine but, at least based on this pour, wondered whether it was of the very high standard of Brovia’s typical Cru.
  • 2015 Fratelli Brovia Barolo Brea Vigna Ca’mia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    From tank. Deep ruby colour. Very red fruited bouquet: red cherries, red currants, spices and a little red liquorice. Mouth filling. A palate staining, large volume of crunchy red berry fruit. “This is the most powerful of the Cru. You feel the power here. The 2015 is fresher and bigger than the 2011”. On the evidence of this small pour, this seemed a very promising Serralunga Barolo indeed.