2018 Carter Release

Well, it sold at $275 and pretty quickly! So the clearing price is probably higher. And I assume the 2018’s are as good as the 2016’s. I didn’t understand your point here: The 2018 is also a wine you can sign up right now and buy.

I was going to mention Old Sparky, but I’ve only tried their CCS and BBS wines. Do you know the pricing of the 18’ Old Sparky? Also, I assume you need to work your way up the ladder to receive an Old Sparky offer or buy their mix-pack offering? What’s special about the GTO is its accessibility to new buyers. I found out about the GTO in 2013 and through 2016 it was $599. A $50 increase over the last five years is notable.

You can go to Carter now, register, and get an allocation. I think it’s unusual for wines that can be bought direct from the winery with no wait list to sell for an immediate premium in the secondary market.

Oh I totally agree. And I’m not doing it for investment. I just think if 2018 is anything like 2016, they will be trading at a decent premium to list. Of course, that would be a year from now.

Are there a lot of sellers here? (not Carter, but in general). I buy to consume and share with friends, i’ve never sold a thing. I buy direct from too many, but really have been trying to limit them to the ones where the aftermarket is a premium or they are extremely hard to get - not to sell, but to not have to pay an aftermarket premium, have double shipping etc. On the ones that I buy off list ones I do try to buy relatively quickly so storage (hopefully) wasn’t an issue. Plus freight is much less if already on the east cost and the wine sells cheaper than from the winery it can be significant $$$. I’ve been on here a long time , but always as a lurker / reader more than a participant.

I’ll be getting a few (but will likely wait for the full release). I’ve been a big fan of Mike Smith wines for some years now (Myriad, Quivet, Becklyn), I bought Carter for the first time in 2017, and have only popped one O.G. earlier this year, it was tremendous. I’ll be a buyer for sure.

I’ve never sold but it’s like a lot of expensive hobbies, if you buy the best you can usually get a good portion of your money back if you decide to sell for some reason down the road. I was very big into astronomy 15-20 years ago and while I still practice, my time to pursue the hobby has become more limited so I’ve sold some equipment recently, most near and some more than original purchase price. Used to be that way with cameras but not sure anymore.

So there is a second release later this year of the same wines? Is there a difference than buying it now?

There is the full release in early/mid June where all the single bottles are available for purchase. The difference is that you can purchase as much of one bottling as you like, but you will not get the wooden box (except in the case of the GTO, I believe).

I plan to wait for the regular release, I would rather cherry pick OG and Verdad. If this 18 release is anything like 16, I would recommend everyone hop on as soon they can. I remember OG and Verdad selling out within an hour or less of the release window.

As mentioned in my other post, if you go for the June release, make sure you log on as soon as the release starts if you are looking to get either the OG or Verdad, they sold out very quickly for the 2016 vintage, within the first hour if memory serves correctly. If you signed up, you should get an email of the date and time. I believe it is normally the third Tuesday in June, so this years release should be 6/16. I think they normally go live at 12pm EST.

Okay. Thanks everyone for the insight.

I’ll probably bite on the sixer box as I did in 2016. All signs point to these being off the hook good.

i bought the 6 pack and one magnum. 2018 is going to be incredible! in two weeks MM 2018 blend release

Kinda surprised that JD didn’t give any 100s this year for the lineup, but nonetheless, I’m sure these wines are going to be amazing. Can’t wait for the full release later this month.

Mind posting the scores my friend!

Very surprised by this honestly.

3 99s are strong though.

I expected more 100s across the 2018 lineups. Can’t remember, but did any Myriad get a 100? Who has gotten 100s so far for the 2018s?

Nobody has any confirmed 100s from Jeb. A few have 100 in the range on barrel samples. Myriad has a couple, bevan, Maybach, Shafer, TOR, ADAMVS and a few others

Mike Smith posted scores on the Myriad Wine Instagram account. He didn’t mention which wine got what score.

Congrats to Mike Smith Mark Carter / Carter Cellars and the winemaking team on your fantastic scores for 2018 Cabernets from @jebdunnuck @mikesmithwinejunkie Kaboom! 99, 99, 99, 98+,98+,98,98, 96,95

Any way to buy 1 or 2 bottles?