2018 Bordeaux.

14 was the last new vintage of bdx I bought in any quantity and everything I have tried so far has been terrific. Others can have 15-infinity

Me too.

Very very tempting with 2015 and 2016 out there with considerable praise across the board, but better at age 53 to backfill.

Somehow they’ve managed to get extremely rich despite that.

Excellent point Marcus :slight_smile:.

Alex R.

Sounds like 2018 will be an easy pass for me.

Can I ask who had written that? I ask because it’s not true, or possible IMO from tasting a lot of wine in 2018.

03 was hot, morning, noon and night, as well as dry.

18 during the summer was warm and dry, with cool nights. Those are quite different conditions.

None of that means you will or won’t like the wines, but they aren’t like 03.

One thing I’d certain, these are not wines for Alfret! :grin:

This is why I sometimes find this board a little irritating. It is way too early to make pronouncement either on the quality of the vintage, or what is going to be the pricing on it. Not only have the tastings barely started, but some of the information written here is completely wrong.

I am sure there are plenty of reasons why you wouldn’t buy Brian, such as budget, too many wines in the cellar, saving up for a vacation in San Sebastián, but if you are not buying because of the quality of the vintage or the cost, you must have information that nobody else has.

If what Jeff wrote in Post 13 is accurate, then I’ll be out. Doesn’t sound to be my style. Would rather backfill '14s and '16s.

I trust Jeff.

Of course, just like always, I am willing to reconsider my position with new information.

I think people are overestimating the fruitiness of 2015. It’s still Bordeaux.

Yawn… thought 2005 was the vintage of the century…

Can I go back to sleep now?

We are very fortunate. Used to be that vintages of the century happened once a century, now we get them proclaimed just about every third year by the Bordeaux trade and their wine writer and blogger lackies.

In a little over a month, we will all be bombarded with offerings to purchase these wines as futures. Doesn’t this mean that board members have to make at least initial calls very, very soon on the quality of the vintage? If it is too early to make such pronouncements, then it is too early to sell the wines.

But, hey, what more do we need to know. Leve calls the vintage great (yet again). Isn’t that enough? Buy, buy, buy, buy, buy. Believe the hype.

The reality is that there is no way to even proclaim ‘vintage of the century’ However, I would put more faith in people who taste and re-taste certain vintages of the 20th century and then possibly proclaim ‘vintage of the century’ Unfortunately we will all be dead before it happens for the 21st.

1 Like

Perhaps, why not wait until the wines have been tasted, and the mass of critics opine. Better than a blanket statement of support from Jeff Leve, and even he says the vintage is heterogenous.

Personally I am already buying into the hype of the 2021 vintage.

Not true. We are alive.

Great. Can I buy futures yet.

[popcorn.gif]

I understand that options for future vintages will soon be available on [headbang.gif] Livex.

Given my take on the future, I will be selling short

Will we be alive in the 22nd century to re taste these from the 21st? I think not senor!

Isn’t it almost up to every other year being a vintage of the century?

14 vintages starting in 2005

2005, 2009, 2010, 2015, 2016, 2018 — that’s six all time great vintages out of fourteen. Not half but close. Bordeaux hype machine humming along in overdrive!